Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 14:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D and the mysterious yellow band

Ultra
188 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 08, 2007 14:40 |  #1

Last weekend my girlfriend used my 5D to shoot a wedding. After about an hour she calls me on the phone frantically telling me that my 5D is broken (instant heart attack). She explained to me she had to start using the backup 20D because the pictures started having a yellow band. For about 30 pics or so a wierd yellow band appeared on different areas of the LCD - which when we downloaded were also on the actual images.

I had her take everything out (batteries, cards etc) and put in all new ones and try to start shooting again. Magically the yellow band went away. When she got home later that I night I tried to reproduce the problem with the same memory card/battery/lens combo but was unsuccessful. I guess thats a good thing but could there be an underlying problem?

This is the second problem I've had with my 5D (here is the first).

Has anyone had this problem? Should I send me to Canon for a once over?

Sample pics below:

1. Band on the right side.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

2. Middle
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon 5Dii+5D :35L 1.4: 70-200L 2.8 IS: 24-105L :Canon 100mm 2.8: 85mm 1.8: Canon 50mm 1.8
www.eYeWonderPhotograp​hy.com (external link)
MM# 413819

sponsored links
-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 08, 2007 14:48 |  #2

i just quickly looked at the exif and these three were all shot in ISO3200 @ f1.8. why was she shooting at ISO3200 when her shutter speed was more than sufficient to get the shot (1/1600th) @50mm? maybe the banding was caused by the high shutter speed + high ISO?? do you have any samples of a similarly lit same room in a lower ISO setting?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 08, 2007 14:51 |  #3

Since she was using Av and f/1.8 at ISO 3200, and getting shutter speeds of around 1/1600 sec., what you're seeing is the flicker (1/60 sec. as the AC cycles) of the fluorescent lights as captured by the slit of the shutter. Under fluorescet lighting you'd ideally like to keep the shutter speed at 1/60 (1/50 in the 240V world) sec. or slower, or use flash.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 08, 2007 14:54 |  #4

cool Jon! i learn something new from you every time!!! :D :D THANKS!!

ducko
804 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 08, 2007 14:55 |  #5

It may have been that the memory card was over heated? I can't imagine why it would have gotten over heated, I'm just throwing it out there.

--Ducko

ducko
804 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 08, 2007 14:58 |  #6

Jon wrote in post #3692114 (external link)
Since she was using Av and f/1.8 at ISO 3200, and getting shutter speeds of around 1/1600 sec., what you're seeing is the flicker (1/60 sec. as the AC cycles) of the fluorescent lights as captured by the slit of the shutter. Under fluorescet lighting you'd ideally like to keep the shutter speed at 1/60 (1/50 in the 240V world) sec. or slower, or use flash.

I guess I posted too late to see this. This would make more sense though and is good information. Glad I stopped by to read.

--Ducko

dave.richards
127 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 08, 2007 14:58 |  #7

Jon is exactly right. I have had this happen to me in the past with this type of light, and keeping the SS around 1/60th or slower eliminates the problem.

dave.richards
The Website (external link)
The Blog (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 08, 2007 15:03 |  #8

dave.richards wrote in post #3692152 (external link)
Jon is exactly right. I have had this happen to me in the past with this type of light, and keeping the SS around 1/60th or slower eliminates the problem.

Glad to see someone from outside the DC area posting - this was beginning to look like a backyard chat!
:{)#

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Ultra
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 08, 2007 15:08 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #9

WOW! Normally my threads go unanswered ;)

You know I asked her the same question about 3200 when I looked at the camera that night and she said she didn't realize it at the time. But when I asked it was just out of general curiosity I didn't realize or would have thought that would have been the cause of the yellow band.

Thanks to all of you for the quick answers and easing my anxiety :)

Canon 5Dii+5D :35L 1.4: 70-200L 2.8 IS: 24-105L :Canon 100mm 2.8: 85mm 1.8: Canon 50mm 1.8
MM# 413819

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 08, 2007 15:43 |  #10

To be exact, not the high ISO, but the high shutterspeed caused the yellow band ;)
(Okay, because of the wide open aperture and high ISO, the shutterspeed was that high :rolleyes:)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)

Steiglitz
Goldmember
1,526 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Location: Lake George, NY State, Supposed Arrogant, but Not really....

Aug 08, 2007 17:49 |  #11

It seems the guy's girlfriend does not know how to use a camera, nor how to use the flash. I agree this looks like flourescent wash. What is she doing shooting Av and ISO 3200?!? Before one shoots weddings for pay, one should learn the basics.

For those types of shots I place the camera in Manual, flash in auto E-TTL2, set the aperture for required DOF, shutter speed to expose the background and go from there....oh, and often ISO 400 will do the job...yes, even in very dark situations....

Gear is essential, but often has little to do with composition, pictures, and art...Alfred Steiglitz :lol:

Canon 5D, Canon 1D Mark II, All L primes from 14mm through 200mm. All L zooms from 16mm through 400mm. 2.0x TC

John_B
Cream of the Crop
7,113 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 08, 2007 17:56 |  #12

Ultra & anyone interested in fluorescent lighting,
Here is an excellent explanation of what probably happened in those photos
Limitations of Fluorescent Lightingby Curtis Newport (external link)

Sony A6500, A6000, Apeman A80, & a bunch of Lenses.............  (external link)
click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

Ultra
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 10, 2007 13:36 |  #13

Steiglitz wrote in post #3693058 (external link)
It seems the guy's girlfriend does not know how to use a camera, nor how to use the flash. I agree this looks like flourescent wash. What is she doing shooting Av and ISO 3200?!? Before one shoots weddings for pay, one should learn the basics.

Totally uncalled for and WRONG... You don't know her or her skill level or the situation she was in.

For those types of shots I place the camera in Manual, flash in auto E-TTL2, set the aperture for required DOF, shutter speed to expose the background and go from there....oh, and often ISO 400 will do the job...yes, even in very dark situations....

This would simply have been enough, good info and something that helps with correcting a problem as opposed to insulting someone.

John_B wrote in post #3693090 (external link)
Ultra & anyone interested in fluorescent lighting,
Here is an excellent explanation of what probably happened in those photos
Limitations of Fluorescent Lightingby Curtis Newport (external link)

Thanks for the info.

MM# 413819

StewartR
"your nose is too big"
4,269 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 11, 2007 06:38 |  #14

Ultra wrote in post #3703599 (external link)
Totally uncalled for and WRONG... You don't know her or her skill level or the situation she was in.

Steiglitz was a bit blunt there but I think he has a point, and some evidence:

1. EXIF data: ISO 3200, 1/1600th at f/1.8. You've got to admit that's a pretty weird set of numbers, to put it mildly.
2. Failure to deal properly with fluorescent light.

I would say they are fairly basic issues.

Ultra, you didn't say whether your girlfriend photographs weddings commercially, but the phrasing of the post and the nature of the pictures suggested that she wasn't just one of the guests in the church. If she shoots weddings regularly - even just for family & friends, if not commercially - then she might find herself with some pretty unhappy customers if this is her typical modus operandi.

Lots of ifs there, I realise. I'm just trying to help. If my assumptions are wrong, then please ignore me.

www.LensesForHire.co.u​k (external link) - complete with matching POTN discussion thread
Photos: Cats (external link) | London by day (external link) | London by night (external link) I My POTN photo sharing threads (external link) | Official "Where Am I Now?" archive (external link)
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 11, 2007 08:14 |  #15

Jon, thanks for the info. I'm normally not a flash shooter so I'm sure my mind would not have gotten around to catching this issue until it was too late. Now I have something to consider when setting up for flash shooting.

Another reason I love POTN. :D

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

sponsored links

2,801 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D and the mysterious yellow band
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.