Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Aug 2007 (Friday) 17:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Walmart refused to print... this happen to you?

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 10, 2007 17:14 |  #1

Occasionally when family/friends want pictures of events I take pictures of the same day I have to use Walmart instead of ordering online and waiting 3-7 days for them. Well, one of my local Walmarts photo centers actually refused to print my photos until I came back to talk to them when they were supposed to be due. They said the pictures looked like they were from magazines and their policy is they cannot print copywriten stuff. Well, long story short, my daughter was with me and she was in a few of the photos so they let me have them.

I guess I should be flattered – but it was was still annoying.

sponsored links
chris_m_atl
358 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 10, 2007 17:39 |  #2

At least they were doing their job. As annoying as it is, though!

I was refused printing at walmart with some of my aerial photo proofs. Apparently, they couldn't believe a 22yr old guy could photograph from a helicopter, let alone own a business! I was also flattered, but still pissed.

"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute" --Gil Stern

S ­ Taylor
719 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 10, 2007 17:45 as a reply to  @ chris_m_atl's post |  #3

I shot some images of my brother-in-law's baby for him and his wife, then printed them off some 5x7s and 8x10s from my Epson r2400. I later found out his mom wanted another 8x10, but didn't want to ask me to print it (she was afraid I was 'wasting' my ink lol). She took it to Wal-Mart and ask them to copy it - they refused and said it looked like a professional print. Then to top it off, the epson paper I used also had a watermark on the back that said "do not copy". I didn't realize the watermark was on there, but was flattered by their comments on the print. =) I can understand why they have that policy though, to protect themselves from copyright infringement.

scott

Couple of DSLRs, number of lenses and other stuff... plenty short on talent.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2200252&pos​tcount=281

cargo123
742 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 10, 2007 18:00 |  #4

I don't have a professional printer, and rely a lot on Walmart. Just starting out. My local store usually doesn't give me a problem. For Christmas last year I gave my wife's family some pictures from her brothers wedding. I gave her nephew a picture of him and his girlfriend. I sent it up through the web, and was going to pick it up in the town the live in, where we celebrated Christmas. It's two hours from where we live. When I went to pick it up, they wrote professional on the envelope, and asked me for a release from the photographer. I said I am the photographer, and they argued with me. I told them I pick up from my local Walmart all the time, they are welcome to call them. I asked for the manager, and explained I do this for a hobby. He asked for my business cards, which I don't have. They refused to give me the picture. I explained that I have signed Walmart's form stating I am not violating copyrights, and the copyrights belong to me. They made me feel like I wasn't capable of having talent. I eneded up getting angry and asked them if they wanted me to go to my car and bring in my photo gear which is around $4,500. They kept making comments to me like sure you are the photographer. I felt like saying is it because I'm Mexican you don't think I have the talent or captial to buy camera equipment. This has also happened at other stores outside my city. I'll use them because my local store's printer is always broke down. I included the picture they hasseled me with. I always say thank you when they mention the pictures are from a professional.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 10, 2007 18:02 |  #5

chris_m_atl wrote in post #3704817 (external link)
At least they were doing their job. As annoying as it is, though!

I was refused printing at walmart with some of my aerial photo proofs. Apparently, they couldn't believe a 22yr old guy could photograph from a helicopter, let alone own a business! I was also flattered, but still pissed.

Took a look at your website... impressive indeed for someone so young. :)

At 22 I was fighting in Iraq during the first gulf war, so I guess young people can be underrated.

Edit: Just picked up my headphones... hehe like the music too on your site.

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 10, 2007 18:04 |  #6

S Taylor wrote in post #3704833 (external link)
Then to top it off, the epson paper I used also had a watermark on the back that said "do not copy". I didn't realize the watermark was on there, but was flattered by their comments on the print. =)

scott

lol

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 10, 2007 18:15 |  #7

cargo123 wrote in post #3704890 (external link)
I don't have a professional printer, and rely a lot on Walmart. Just starting out. My local store usually doesn't give me a problem. For Christmas last year I gave my wife's family some pictures from her brothers wedding. I gave her nephew a picture of him and his girlfriend. I sent it up through the web, and was going to pick it up in the town the live in, where we celebrated Christmas. It's two hours from where we live. When I went to pick it up, they wrote professional on the envelope, and asked me for a release from the photographer. I said I am the photographer, and they argued with me. I told them I pick up from my local Walmart all the time, they are welcome to call them. I asked for the manager, and explained I do this for a hobby. He asked for my business cards, which I don't have. They refused to give me the picture. I explained that I have signed Walmart's form stating I am not violating copyrights, and the copyrights belong to me. They made me feel like I wasn't capable of having talent. I eneded up getting angry and asked them if they wanted me to go to my car and bring in my photo gear which is around $4,500. They kept making comments to me like sure you are the photographer. I felt like saying is it because I'm Mexican you don't think I have the talent or captial to buy camera equipment. This has also happened at other stores outside my city. I'll use them because my local store's printer is always broke down. I included the picture they hasseled me with. I always say thank you when they mention the pictures are from a professional.

Tell ya, there is an easy fix to this. Just place a signature or water mark on the bottom right of the photo and go get some business cards made for $10 with the same name. Problem solved.

Maybe they thought you were from Texas lol... when I went to Denver (also went to Blackhawk, Bolder and Central city) people automatically seemed to dislike me once they saw my Texas plates. Otherwise, walking around people were really nice (it was sorta scary actually – never been to a place where people were so friendly).

Mark_48
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 10, 2007 18:31 as a reply to  @ MaxxuM's post |  #8

A few years ago I had a similiar issue with Walmart not printing from film negatives, which I needed for quick proofs. They looked professional and said to protect themselves against any copyright infringement, they wouldn't print them. I remember to resolve it they had a form to fill out and sign which stated I was the photographer of the photos, held the copyright to them, and released them of any responsibility of copyright infringement. They presumably were keeping it on file for any future print orders. Haven't been back so I don't know if they still have it or not.

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

teeny
820 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 10, 2007 18:33 as a reply to  @ Mark_48's post |  #9

I had that happen a couple of times. They wanted me to sign a release.

Teeny

PhotosByEric
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 10, 2007 20:19 |  #10

They've never asked me for proof that the pics are mine....does that mean I suck:p

Eric

www.photosbyeric.smugm​ug.com (external link)
Canon 30D, Canon 15-85, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 60 2.8 macro, 580exI, 430exI, st-e2, and a wish list a mile long:lol:

DreamCrushers in POTN FF

thekid24
pro-zack-lee
8,545 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 10, 2007 20:25 |  #11

Yes it has happened and oddly enough I work at one currently.

And even though annoying it is a CYA situation. Years back, so I was told, a person came in to get photos printed and turns out they were not his but a pros, the pro sued and won. So now they make you sign a release to confirm your photos are yours.

flickr (external link)

3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 10, 2007 22:27 |  #12

If Wal-Mart drills ya...it just means that you are that good. Me on the otherhand, I've never been questioned...in the 5 times I printed there. I rarely print photos. *sigh*

Robert [¯Ô¯] | Gear | Gallery (external link)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 10, 2007 22:44 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

I just give them a stack of business cards and ask for referrals. ;)

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,698 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 10, 2007 23:11 |  #14

liza wrote in post #3706236 (external link)
I just give them a stack of business cards and ask for referrals. ;)

LMAO!!!! ahhhahaha ..

I was having some stuff printed of a model .. (for her mom) she needed them really fast.
One a the girls goes .."wow, if I did'nt know better, I'd say those were done by a pro".

Doh! She was kina cute herself .. and tomorrow, we have a shoot set up .. :lol:

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 10, 2007 23:56 |  #15

They're doing the right thing, trying to prevent copyright infringement. Of course, they wouldn't bother unless there was some risk to them. It's CYA.
Their ability to handle these situations professionally varies. Dealing with poorly trained minimum wage employees is the downside of fast, cheap prints.

Whoever you choose as your print vendor, work to develop a personal relationship with them. You'll both be better off, and someday they might prevent some tightwad from making 100 copies of one of your pictures.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

sponsored links

5,627 views & 0 likes for this thread
Walmart refused to print... this happen to you?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.