Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 15 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time off using off camera lighting

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 15, 2007 01:30 |  #1

For the very first time I tried off camera lighting with a Sunpak flash shooting through an umbrella. My wife was kind enough to pose for me even though she didn't have any makeup on, LOL. Please let me know how I did and how I can improve. If anyone would like to PP this we would both appreciate it.
Thanks, Randy

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

sponsored links
sleeys
349 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 15, 2007 11:26 |  #2

For the very first time I tried off camera lighting with a Sunpak flash shooting through an umbrella. My wife was kind enough to pose for me even though she didn't have any makeup on, LOL. Please let me know how I did and how I can improve. If anyone would like to PP this we would both appreciate it.
Thanks, Randy

Hello Randy,
very good for first time and you have a beautiful wife.
One small thing to improve the second time. Place a gold reflector to her left for fill.
This will get rid of all the harsh shadows on her left and add an even warm feel to picture.

Alex

Anderson-Photography
709 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 15, 2007 13:22 |  #3

Randy, I think you did a nice job using off camera lighting for the first time. I think the light to shadow ratio is not bad at all as the main lights height and angle is creating a nice shadow on the right side of her face. I think you're main might be a tiny bit strong as she appears a bit overexposed around her left eye and cheek but overall, a very nice effort.

Chris

Chris Anderson
chrisanderson-photography.com (external link)
Sportsshooter.com member
Southcreek Global Media photographer
MaxPreps photographer

evolved
338 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 15, 2007 13:32 |  #4

did you use an optical slave triggered by the on camera flash for the sunpack?

sleeys
349 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 15, 2007 20:52 |  #5

Thanks sleeys and Chris. I didn't have a reflector last night, but got one today.
evolved, yes I was forced to use the on board flash to trigger the optical slave, and what a pain in the butt that was. I had the on board FEC set to -2 though as I didn't want the camera flash to have much effect. I forgot to get a PC sync cable when I came home with my stuff to use the flash. I bought a Wein Hot Shoe slave that also has a PC connector, but forgot about the cord. The Wein hot shoe slave is an expensive piece of junk. About 75% of the time the off camera flash would not fire. Not to mention the pre-flash setting it off. I learned a few colorful words last night trying it out

Shooterman, you might want too try them ebay triggers V2.
I got some and they work perfect with Sunpak 383 super.
Not so good with speedlight 430ex!! :-(

Alex

evolved
338 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 20, 2007 12:16 |  #6

shooterman wrote in post #3735258 (external link)
The ebay V2 triggers are at the top of my list Alex. Thanks again!

when you do buy them.. don't get them from ebay. go to www.mpex.com (external link) they're a shop in columbus ohio that carries the V2 triggers/receivers in stock, so you don't have to wait on the ship time from hong kong.

evolved
338 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 21, 2007 06:51 |  #7

shooterman wrote in post #3765098 (external link)
Thanks for the tip. I believe that is the shop that strobist recommends.

yes it is. good group of guys in there. It's nice having it close... there aren't many actual camera shops around anymore.

sponsored links

2,116 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time off using off camera lighting
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.