Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 11:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grip and Grin pricing?

Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 15, 2007 11:49 |  #1

Standard "smile with the celeb" type portraits.
2-3 hours on-site work, 100-200 images, with 8x10 prints delivered to the company. A copy of each image with the celeb sent to the company for the celeb to sign and get delivered.

Printing, shipping, time, organization with a proof cd.......

I also want to make sure to GET the job.......

$500?

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

sponsored links
Transcendence
96 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 15, 2007 11:56 |  #2

Are you printing all those 8x10's for that price?

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 15, 2007 12:03 |  #3

You should certainly get the job at 500.00. I find it abnormally low for what you have to deliver. Assuming a volume discount for the 8X10's I would somewhere near 2000.00.

If you are intent on getting the work for the sake of just getting it be warned that you are setting a standard for working with at least this customer. If they happen to tell anyone else that you are a budget shooter it is sometimes hard to get your prices to a reasonable level. There is always an inherent danger in trying to buy work. On the other hand if this is what you want to do to get your foot in the door then by all means go for it.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Halliday
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 15, 2007 12:31 |  #4

Printing 8x10's: I would only be delivering them. I'll be having them printed thru mpix. Doing the math, 150 8x10 prints is $300.

I'm thinking I'll need an assistant too.

This is a one-off. The celeb will be in town for a "awareness campaign." It's sponsored by a nationwide pharmaceutical company.

My thing with pricing, I recently lost 2 jobs due to over-pricing my service. I want to be careful, make $$ but also GET the job to even make $$.

Now I'm thinking $800-1k....

Edit, local price for a 8x10 is $4.50... :(

flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

B3SEO
783 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 15, 2007 13:07 |  #5

Do the math - $4.50 x 200 = $900. Your time for three hours (not just taking the pictures, but organizing the picture taking event, which can be stressful), should be at LEAST $75 per hour.

Miscellaneous Expenses - Gas, food, lodging(?) those add up to.

Sharpen your pencil, and re-cost it. It should be about $1300-$1500.

Step back please... I'm armed with a camera...

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 15, 2007 15:01 |  #6

I have to agree with the rest. In my opinion you need to look at $1500 to $2K--especially if you are paying for all of the print work. If they are hiring a celeb for pictures they will want to hire a professional to take the pictures. If you charge them "cheap" rates they may not think you are professional.
I would always ask them "What is your budget for a photographer?" \
Then no matter what they say---you need to say "Ohhh"
then pause.
Typically they will then say, "well we might be able to offer a little more"
Then you tell them for the work that has to be put in and editing and need for an assistant you really need to to ask for "X".
Trust me---it is about them buying YOU. If your price is in line and even more they will run with it.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 15, 2007 19:12 |  #7

Keep in mind that underbidding is one of the best ways you'll find _not_ to get a job

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

Transcendence
96 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 15, 2007 22:12 |  #8

bieber wrote in post #3734824 (external link)
Keep in mind that underbidding is one of the best ways you'll find _not_ to get a job

Not to mention how bad it hurts our market. We all want the work but when someone can go get the same thing done for 500.00 when it really should be at least 1,200, then what does that do for all of us?

transcend
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Aug 15, 2007 22:31 |  #9

Halliday wrote in post #3732293 (external link)
Standard "smile with the celeb" type portraits.
2-3 hours on-site work, 100-200 images, with 8x10 prints delivered to the company. A copy of each image with the celeb sent to the company for the celeb to sign and get delivered.

Printing, shipping, time, organization with a proof cd.......

I also want to make sure to GET the job.......

$500?

No. I wouldn't touch that job for anything under $2000-$2500, especially considering you are delivering prints. Print cost, hours of work, ordering prints, post processiung work involved, travel to and from the job, gas, lunch.

Thsi job will cost you money at $500 and probably break even at $1200.

http://www.fraserbritt​on.com (external link)

Halliday
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 16, 2007 03:51 |  #10

Yeah, after thinking more it's looking to be more expensive. Ship 100-200 8x10 prints from IA to NY.... :O

$1800-2000 ballpark figure now.

flickr (external link)

symes
Goldmember
3,372 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 16, 2007 10:37 |  #11

Halliday wrote in post #3736600 (external link)
Yeah, after thinking more it's looking to be more expensive. Ship 100-200 8x10 prints from IA to NY.... :O

$1800-2000 ballpark figure now.

Wow you have to ship them as well...get a quote and factor in all your costs. Lay them out:

900 - prints
200 - Shipping
75 dollars/hour both shooting and processing

don't know how many hours that will be but I'm assuming it will be close to 15 at least.

Cheers,

Symes
Symplicity Photography (external link) Symplicity Glamour (external link)
5D Mark II; 1D Mark II; 17-40L; 24-70 2.8L; 70-200 IS 2.8L

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 16, 2007 17:50 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Transcendence wrote in post #3735620 (external link)
Not to mention how bad it hurts our market. We all want the work but when someone can go get the same thing done for 500.00 when it really should be at least 1,200, then what does that do for all of us?

I've never believed that one person should be overly concerned with whether or not another person can get work.

Costs should be figured out, compensation for time should be included, shipping, etc., and a quote given based on what the person actually doing the work is comfortable with, not based on someone else being able to get a job...

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photography (external link)

grphx
724 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 16, 2007 19:15 |  #13

Steve Parr wrote in post #3740332 (external link)
I've never believed that one person should be overly concerned with whether or not another person can get work.

Costs should be figured out, compensation for time should be included, shipping, etc., and a quote given based on what the person actually doing the work is comfortable with, not based on someone else being able to get a job...

...and this is coming from someone who has a few L-series lens. I agree 100%!

Canon 50D, 6D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
www.jarcophoto.com (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 16, 2007 22:40 |  #14

Steve Parr wrote in post #3740332 (external link)

Well, I think the point was to not underprice and undercut the industry as a whole, and not so much what other people are getting job wise. There's way to many people out there now that think they are professional photographers when they're not. To many people undercut pro photographers, do lesser quality work, but land a job because they're cheap, and then never get hired again because the quality sucked, and yet companies still go looking for the cheap hires to do it all over again. Now I'm not saying you can't beat or match someones offer, I've done it but there's always that number (figured out by so many factors) that once it gets below that you walk as a professional. I've walked and had companies come back saying "we messed up", and personally I'd rather work for people who give a darn about the quality than joe schmoe who don't. It's pretty much every profession, but yet people do not take photography as serious as something like having having a new addition built on the house. If someone comes in with low prices for that then the owner will ask "why is it so cheap", photography on the other hand "oh yay! we saved money!" --- even though the quality isn't as good.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 16, 2007 23:08 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #3741673 (external link)
Well, I think the point was to not underprice and undercut the industry as a whole, and not so much what other people are getting job wise. There's way to many people out there now that think they are professional photographers when they're not. To many people undercut pro photographers, do lesser quality work, but land a job because they're cheap, and then never get hired again because the quality sucked, and yet companies still go looking for the cheap hires to do it all over again. Now I'm not saying you can't beat or match someones offer, I've done it but there's always that number (figured out by so many factors) that once it gets below that you walk as a professional. I've walked and had companies come back saying "we messed up", and personally I'd rather work for people who give a darn about the quality than joe schmoe who don't. It's pretty much every profession, but yet people do not take photography as serious as something like having having a new addition built on the house. If someone comes in with low prices for that then the owner will ask "why is it so cheap", photography on the other hand "oh yay! we saved money!" --- even though the quality isn't as good.

A little over a year ago, I shot a wedding; my one and only. I did it for $600.00. I was damn near read the riot act by "real" wedding photographers for doing it for such a small sum of money.

They insisted that I took work away from the wedding photographers trying to earn a living.

So, I asked them if they would've done it for $600.00. The answer, of course, was that they would not. But the bride and groom were unwilling to pay the prices quoted to them by "real" wedding photographers.

So, I took the job that nobody else would do, at a fee that nobody else would accept, and "real" wedding photographers wet themselves over it anyway. The whole experience left a real sour taste for these "professionals", and convinced me that I shouldn't allow myself to be concerned with whether or not someone else is able to get a job because of what I was paid.

Both me and my client were satisfied with my fee, and with the results I gave them. That's all that matters.

In my opinion, based on that experience, wedding photographers are some of the most overpaid prima donnas on the planet...

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photography (external link)

sponsored links

2,574 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grip and Grin pricing?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.