Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 11:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grip and Grin pricing?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,451 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 17, 2007 08:05 as a reply to  @ post 3741803 |  #16

Steve look at it as paying for skill and talent. If you think working a wedding for $600 is fair then you obviously don't think very much of your yourself or the product you produce. Of all the photography I've done and I did wedding for almost 20 years weddings is probably the one area that requires the most people skills and in some ways has the most stress of anything I've done in photography.

If you're feeding your family doing this you have an obligation to them to be able to support them. Over paid. Well the market should determine that. Your skill and talent should determine that.

I always believed that working 30 weddings a year was better than working 100 for both you and your client. So if you want to be able to support yourself and your family you need to find a way to be able to get to the 30 a year point. That means getting compensated for your talent and experience.

How much value do you put on your talent? If its $600 for a wedding thats certainly your business. But don't put down the guy that has figured out a way to be able to make 10 grand on a wedding. He's just figured out a way to work smarter and deal with clients that appreciate something a little different plus the locations and the opportunities to get great images are much better at the 4 seasons that at the VFW.

I also wanted to ad that once you've established your pricing in whatever you wind up doing (weddings grips & grins) that can set the course for your pricing for a very long time to come. So figure out early on what you want your market to be and then focus your attention accordingly.

sponsored links
Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 17, 2007 10:34 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

airfrogusmc wrote in post #3743225 (external link)
Steve look at it as paying for skill and talent. If you think working a wedding for $600 is fair then you obviously don't think very much of your yourself or the product you produce.

Thanks so much for helping me determine what I believe my work is worth. This, I believe, is a common trait among prima donna wedding photographers.

The fact of the matter is that I'm not a wedding photographer...

Of all the photography I've done and I did wedding for almost 20 years weddings is probably the one area that requires the most people skills and in some ways has the most stress of anything I've done in photography.

No disagreement there...

If you're feeding your family doing this you have an obligation to them to be able to support them. Over paid. Well the market should determine that. Your skill and talent should determine that.

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I can be the most skillful wedding photographer on the planet, if people believe I'm priced too high, then I'll never work...

I always believed that working 30 weddings a year was better than working 100 for both you and your client. So if you want to be able to support yourself and your family you need to find a way to be able to get to the 30 a year point. That means getting compensated for your talent and experience.

Agreed.

I have zero aspirations of being a wedding photographer, in part, because of the attitudes and personas of the wedding photographers I've had the "pleasure" of meeting...

How much value do you put on your talent? If its $600 for a wedding thats certainly your business. But don't put down the guy that has figured out a way to be able to make 10 grand on a wedding.

I didn't until I started getting lambasted by wedding photographers who weren't willing to shoot for what the client was willing to pay. What business is it of theirs if I get paid $600.00, $6.00, or $6,000.00? Well, I don't know either, but they sure as Hell tried to make it their business.

I find it interesting that you think someone who makes a living at wedding photography should somehow be immune to criticism yet, in my case, people who make their living with wedding photography should be free to criticize me?

That's an enormous double-standard...

He's just figured out a way to work smarter and deal with clients that appreciate something a little different plus the locations and the opportunities to get great images are much better at the 4 seasons that at the VFW.

Gosh, that's a bit insulting.

First, it insults me, by saying I'm not working as "smart" as someone making more money, despite the fact that I'm not a wedding photographer. Then it insults the people I shot for, suggesting that, since they couldn't pay thousands for a photographer, their wedding was likely held at a VFW (in fact, far from it).

This is the "prima donna" attitude I've come to expect from many wedding photographers. Thanks for not disappointing...

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photography (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,451 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 17, 2007 11:05 as a reply to  @ Steve Parr's post |  #18

See your wrong again. You determined its value by setting your price. I haven't done weddings in ten years. But don't you think your talent is worth more than $600? If not rock on. Charge what you want its certainly your business but don't think because some else is charging and getting what they value themselves and their work at as being prima donnas. Oh and the ones that are charging a reasonable rate you're not taking the work away from. Its certainly your business what you charge but I was actually complimenting you by saying your work must certainly be worth more than that but according to you I guess not.

Halliday
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 17, 2007 11:12 |  #19

Cool it guys.

I'm still working on my pricing. I wrote the company back asking for their budget and if they wanted a per-hr pay or day rate. Still working on it.

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

Steve ­ Parr
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 17, 2007 11:39 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

airfrogusmc wrote in post #3744145 (external link)
but don't think because some else is charging and getting what they value themselves and their work at as being prima donnas.

The prima donnas are the ones who **** at me for charging what I did, yet wouldn't even leave the house for what I was paid.

Basically, it's a situation of "I wouldn't do it, Steve, but you shouldn't do it because I won't be able to get work if you do". They act as though I'm any kind of threat to the community of wedding photographers.

I'm basically a "you do what you do and I do what I do" kinda' guy. For the type of photography I normally do, $600.00 is a small fortune...

Steve

Chrisedge
101 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 17, 2007 16:06 |  #21

I might think I'm worth millions, but I could still accept a job for free. What I might charge has nothing to do with what I might feel I'm worth. People accept jobs as favors, might accept if they need the money at that moment, might accept to win some special shoot, or might just want to piss off the guys that charge too much. People make it sound like just because you charge a lot, means your worth a lot, which is far from the truth.

Rock on Steve.

What I use? A 350D and 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 99% of the time.
(Well...I did just get the 70-200mm 2.8 IS, so lets see that 99% go down)
Complete List Here See my photos at chrisedge.com (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,451 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 17, 2007 16:27 as a reply to  @ Chrisedge's post |  #22

I do lots of charity work in my community and for a couple of other worthy organizations. Some folks shouldn't go around calling the ones make a decent living from their talent prima donnas because they have enough since to charge a reasonable rate for their services. I call that smart. What someone charges is certainly his business just don't rip on the pros that do it to support their families and charge a reasonable price for their talent and service.

Steve ­ Parr
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 17, 2007 18:10 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

airfrogusmc wrote in post #3745883 (external link)
Some folks shouldn't go around calling the ones make a decent living from their talent prima donnas because they have enough since to charge a reasonable rate for their services.

And I haven't done that.

The prima donnas are the ones who give me a hard time for doing what I did, because it might hurt what they do. If they're that good, what I do, and what I charge, should be little threat to them. If it is a threat to them, they're probably not as good as they've led themselves to believe.

To the OP, my apologies for taking this off topic. Charge what you're comfortable with, and don't worry about what anyone else says. At the end of the day, the two parties who have to be satisfied are you and your client.

Period...

Steve

Transcendence
96 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 17, 2007 19:54 |  #24

My whole thought is this. Charge what you want to charge but keep this in mind. There are some of us that do this full time and we rely on a strong market to feed our families and keep our business's afloat. Now when you charge a lesser amount just to say hey I took a photo of this person then that company is going to always be expecting that type of fee. In return this hurts the market. It hurts everything about what we do. It cheapens our art and the skill that it takes for us to create what we do.

Transcendence
96 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 17, 2007 20:04 |  #25

I shoot all types of photos, everything from event photos at a drag race to wedding photos. I charge what I charge not because I think I am better than the next person but because I have my life savings wrapped up in Camera and printing equipment so that I could support my family this way, doing something I love. And actually your work is worth what you are willing to charge for it. If they like it, then they will pay what you are asking.

John ­ Mireles
259 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 18, 2007 00:04 |  #26

I've skipped all the back and forth so I apologize if I'm redundant.

My wife has been shooting a fair amount of these corporate, grip and grin type gigs lately. She's been getting about $500 per hour not including any expenses like prints and such. She recently did one for about $2,000 and change.

Corporations spend big bucks for these things. They pay the planner big bucks, the celebrity, the singers, the speakers, the location a lot of money. (There's a hotel here in town that told a client of mine that they wouldn't accept their booking for a wedding because they wanted to see if they'd get booked for a corporate gig. These things are cash cows for the venues.) A couple of grand for a photographer is not a big deal to them.

In my opinion, $600 is way too cheap, doesn't allow for any profit and also tells the client that you're not a serious pro. Most likely, you'll be working with the corporate planner. She may not want to book someone who's too cheap because then it they'll cut her budget next time. Either that or she'll bill the client for a lot more and then pocket the difference.

John

www.photographerstoolk​it.com (external link)

Halliday
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 21, 2007 12:47 |  #27

I got the gig, with a sizable profit :) esp if I have the prints shipped directly to them from mpix.

I guess to really make it professional now I need to send the company a contract?

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

sponsored links

2,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grip and Grin pricing?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.