Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 19 Aug 2007 (Sunday) 10:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Capture One LE

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 19, 2007 10:49 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Do any of you use Capture One LE for processing your RAW files? I know that Lightroom is popular, but I got a coupon from a fellow on DWF for the C1 LE software. I've always read positive comments about the pro version, but haven't heard much about this one other than the converted images have great color. I'd be interested in hearing some additional feedback.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 19, 2007 13:46 |  #2

I started using RawShooter and loved it. Then I got a free copy of C1 LE. A very slick, easy to use and a program that seems to work well. Then I started using Lightroom. Better looking, more powerful than C1, chokes my computer more than C1, but I'm loving the develop presets of Lightroom.

So to answer the question, I liked C1 LE. It's still on my computer and works well.

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 19, 2007 13:52 |  #3

Better colours than lightroom? I'm confused by this, since in just about any raw program you have complete control over all the colours. Do you have any comparison shots between c1le and LR?

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

liza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 19, 2007 13:59 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

picturecrazy wrote in post #3755389 (external link)
Better colours than lightroom? I'm confused by this, since in just about any raw program you have complete control over all the colours. Do you have any comparison shots between c1le and LR?

No, I've just seen this comment on DWF. Seems like a lot of them use Capture 1 vs. Lightroom. I was curious to hear if anyone here did. My sports shooting buddy has the full version and says he doesn't use Photoshop for much these days.

I think I'm going to give it a try, considering I've been using RSE and need to make a switch.

Elizabeth
Blog

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Aug 19, 2007 19:02 |  #5

i use C1 and prefer the interface over LR

i DLed LR again and am trying to get to grips with it, but i'm still not liking it all that over C1, the importing stuff is what i find a pain in LR (i know its for cataloging for later use - but thats why over the years i've built up my own way of working) also where does LR store the preview and changes made? (i have a seperate partition made for my C1 changes)

i do like the tonal range controls in LR tho' but i still prefer editing curves in PS..

LR seems slower at updating changes than C1 or PS as well..

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

liza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 19, 2007 20:15 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Well, I downloaded the trial version and gave it a whirl. I really like what I'm seeing so far, so I think I'll purchase it. If C1 LE is a "lite" version, I can't imagine what the pro version is like.

Elizabeth
Blog

AdamJT
330 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 19, 2007 20:40 |  #7

Lloyd, I've seen direct comparisons of RAW convertors and they actually will produce slightly different results under the same set of conversion options. From what I have read, each convertor has its own set of algorithms to do the jpg conversion, so they all end up slightly different.

Adam:D

5D | 7D | Reb XT | Canon 17-40 4.0L | Canon 24-70 2.8L | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS USM | Canon 35 1.4L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6 | 3x 580EX | Photogenic Monolights and Accessories | Various Other Toys...

Moments
182 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 19, 2007 21:06 |  #8

I did a test with C1 LE, Camera raw, lightroom, and DPP. I don't have the tests any longer but I can tell you that C1 won hands down as far as processing raw files. What I was doing was to process the same raw file in the programs at their default settings. What I found was the C1 processed files looked sharper, cleaner, and just looked better. What was really interesting was when looking at the files at 600%. You could see how the program handled a girls eyeliner. In all of the programs but C1, the pixels that made up the eyeliner were black and some red. Also when looking at the skin at 600% I found the individual pixels to be of many different colors. The C1 image, the pixels did not differ untill the skin tone did. The pixels were much more uniform in C1, and at first glance, it would seem that the C1 image would not be as sharp, but they were sharper.
I can say this as to my test and what I found. I also do commercial work for a national magazine. When I displayed the tests I did to the studio manager, (I also did the test on some products I shot) he saw the difference and made the switch to C1 Pro for the magazine.

As to the diference between C1 le and C1 Pro. With Pro, it is basically like using EOS Capture. It also does have a few other differences as far as color profile settings. If you are looking for a program in which you can be tethered to the camera and shoot to your computer with, then Pro is the way to go, but it costs $499. If it's just a raw converter you are looking for, I'd go with the $99 Le version. I will say that it could use some help while editing and sorting images. What I do is use Bridge to edit and sort my images. Once I'm done with that, I use C1 to process the images.

Pete
www.memorablemoments.n​et (external link)

viet
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 20, 2007 16:29 |  #9

Bobster wrote in post #3756781 (external link)
i use C1 and prefer the interface over LR

i DLed LR again and am trying to get to grips with it, but i'm still not liking it all that over C1, the importing stuff is what i find a pain in LR (i know its for cataloging for later use - but thats why over the years i've built up my own way of working) also where does LR store the preview and changes made? (i have a seperate partition made for my C1 changes)

i do like the tonal range controls in LR tho' but i still prefer editing curves in PS..

LR seems slower at updating changes than C1 or PS as well..

Bobster,

There's a setting in LR that'll export the changes to a xmp file to the same location for each of your raw files. I find this very convenient for backing up my work. You can also set the tonal ranges in LR besides the linear/medium/strong presets with their shadow/highlight etc. I actually prefer this over the PS Curve.

The only gripe I have with LR is the slow speed of rendering the previews for the raw files. C1 and ARC and others are much better at this. Either that or I need more memory for my PC.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 20, 2007 16:41 |  #10

viet wrote in post #3762634 (external link)
The only gripe I have with LR is the slow speed of rendering the previews for the raw files. C1 and ARC and others are much better at this. Either that or I need more memory for my PC.

nah, more RAM won't make it faster. I have 3GB and it's no faster than when I had 1GB.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

viet
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 20, 2007 17:45 |  #11

picturecrazy wrote in post #3762704 (external link)
nah, more RAM won't make it faster. I have 3GB and it's no faster than when I had 1GB.

That's what driving me nuts, I added 2 more gigs (DDR2) and the thing's still so slow while my other apps run much faster. Do you know if there's any way to speed LR up more? sry if I hijacked the thread or went off topic.

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Aug 21, 2007 12:44 |  #12

thanks for that Viet, but LR has hit my waste basket and i'm sticking with what i know (i just can't get my head around the workflow of LR, i guess if i was coming in a fresh with it, i'd find it a little easier, but my C1 workflow is just so much faster than LR will ever be for me)

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

liza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 21, 2007 14:26 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks guys for all your input. Although I haven't tried Lightroom, I think I'm going to stick with Capture 1 LE for the time being. I like the user interface.

Elizabeth
Blog

sponsored links

2,221 views & 0 likes for this thread
Capture One LE
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.