Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 19 Aug 2007 (Sunday) 15:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

( GAPS ) POTN Safari around South/West Africa - journal

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
21,001 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Aug 19, 2007 15:28 |  #1

Soon the POTN Africa expedition leaves for Namibia & Botswana.

There are

IMAGE: http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10402;126/st/20070826/e/POTN+AFRICA+TRIP/k/a1fb/event.png

If we get internet access during the expedition we will use this thread to make updates.

The thread will be locked until we have updates from our expedition :D

Stay tuned :lol:

ps I stuck it only so we can find it easily when we are on the road. If we are on via cell phone we done want to use ages to find this thread.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

sponsored links
tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
21,001 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Aug 28, 2007 04:21 |  #2

Day 1 of the POTN African Safari.

Well it is real. We are all here now safe and sound. Jake first need to go buy loads of sunscreen since all the bags were lost somewhere between Johannesburg and Windhoek. But they should arrive today.

We all did take some photos this morning. The Hotel Pension Steiner where we are staying have a small garden with lots birds. So Jake was almost in heaven :lol:

But since this update is done from a public internetcafe we won't be posting photos at this time. Hopefully we can post some at a later time.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,171 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 28, 2007 11:25 |  #3

WE"RE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm freaking OUT!

Wow, I saw my first african sunset, ..
were all getting aling famously, and just can't beiliv were here.

Have to run. I'm on PAtricks Internet time

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

holland_patrick
810 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 28, 2007 11:28 |  #4

Now I get a chance..

dam mods control everything....

at least they are moding each other in thier own room.....

The flight was long and we are now tooling around in Pat's truck.. Photo's soon to fallow.. next internet cafe...

Rebel XT,1D Mark IIN
Canon 100-400L, 17-40 4.0L, 50 1.8,200 2.8L
70-200 2.8 IS L
Simga 30 1.4, SIGMA 50 1.4
http://www.photocastne​twork.com/ (external link)

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 28, 2007 11:28 |  #5

Wow! were here.. not without some fears and a couple of concerns.. the most recent being that Jake an my luggage has not arrived.. Grocery shopping was an adventure.. I don't enjoy it in the states so it wasn't a huge suprise when I didn't enjoy it here. The only familiar things were cornflakes, and a few candy bars.. I can't begin to describe this place.. Even in Windeok that is such a city.. The sounds and faces here are incredible. As far away from home as I can get.. no matter where I go next. And completely beautiful. The other folks are almost exactly how I imagined them. Tommy, smiling and always seeming to laugh... Dave with his dry wit and endless knowlege.. Pat, the group crack-up and Jake the teddy bear.. Becca as efficient and loveable as I imagined.. all around a wonderful group of people.. i'm thrilled.

sari.

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

Becca
Lady in Red
7,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 28, 2007 11:29 |  #6

Just had to take a minute to post. Africa is an incredible place and we haven't even left Windhoek yet! Tomorrow we are off to Etosha National Park and thats where the real fun begins.

Good group and we are having a blast!

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

eenorton
Goldmember
2,362 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 28, 2007 17:14 |  #7

Yay!!! Hope the luggage has shown up by now! (If not, Jake and Sari *do* have their camera gear, yes? :) )

Sounds like y'all are off to a great start!

Looking forward to updates when you can and knowing you're just soaking in Africa when you can't.

Hugs all around

Beth

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 28, 2007 22:52 |  #8

woohoo glad everyone arrived safely, all that planning and your baggage doesnt show up, thats just how its suppose to be :( hope it arrives in time and pics pics pics :)

ichael ... (external link)
vettas media (external link) (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooter (external link) (my sportsshooter member page)

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 29, 2007 05:40 |  #9

Great news that everyone's there and you're having a good time...

But where are the pictures? Keeping us all in suspense?

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 29, 2007 11:08 |  #10

Congrats for arriving, hope the luggage is there now.

We are all eagerly awaiting the pictures because we are all thinking of you and imagining what it's like. And I knew you'd all get along. I haven't been to a meet where everyone wasn't instant friends. You may get to know each other better than you planned, but all good. Have fun!

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,171 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 29, 2007 11:53 |  #11

Camera gear was always with us, but our luggage showed last night at midnight, it was like a gift frokm the heavens.
today we drove to Etosha wildlife preserve and .. well,
Thye trip there was filled with birds, I saw two types of large hwk one with the name of griffin in there somewhewre,. some smaller harrier sized raptors, I saw three different falcons I'm pretty sure, and that's just the raprtors,.
In the park, Springbok, Zebra, Wildebeast.. and a Giraffe!

It's just amazing all the time.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,171 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 29, 2007 11:54 |  #12

I do not think I will be able to post any pics along the way myself,. aorry to say. there's just so little time .. I am shocked I am here typing. Maybe when we settle into things.\I know Patrick and others will soon though.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 29, 2007 11:54 |  #13

OOOOoooooo. Still waiting for pictures. :) I hope you guys have a ton of CF cards.

My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 29, 2007 12:04 |  #14

It's an incredible place to be.. Jake and I are both feeling almost romantic about the atmosphere and sheer wonder of the place.. But, it's off to get charcoal for the brai Dave is planning and then to the watering hole to watch rhino's and whatever else we'll see a block from our rooms.. which are airconditioned by the way. I was really hoping for mudhuts and mosquito netting...

sari

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 29, 2007 12:07 |  #15

saravrose wrote in post #3820784 (external link)
It's an incredible place to be.. Jake and I are both feeling almost romantic about the atmosphere and sheer wonder of the place.. But, it's off to get charcoal for the brai Dave is planning and then to the watering hole to watch rhino's and whatever else we'll see a block from our rooms.. which are airconditioned by the way. I was really hoping for mudhuts and mosquito netting...

sari

Now, I can't believe that. You'll sleep a lot better with air conditioning, believe me. But if you feel like you are being deprived, Target sells netting when you get back. ;)

sponsored links

36,720 views & 1 like for this thread
( GAPS ) POTN Safari around South/West Africa - journal
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.