Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Aug 2007 (Tuesday) 18:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Don't buy an IMAC for photography

SeanH
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 28, 2007 18:58 |  #1

To make a long story short I basically have a new Imac that is useless for photography. The brightness level cannot be turned down under 226 making it impossible to calibrate correctly. I understand some might not have this problem, however searching the 24" IMAC's I have found this issue posted in quite a few places.

Keep this in mind before purchasing one. OH and BTW it's not the brand new one, it's about 2 months old...........that's how long it took me to figure out this problem.

7D ......waiting on the 5D3
10-22, 17-40 4.0 L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 2 X 580EX's

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 28, 2007 19:47 |  #2

Try using Shades (external link). Apple's getting a lot of heat over their iMacs. I started a thread yesterday about it. Seems the iMacs are taking away some of their business from the Mac Pros, so speculation is they're making it less pro(sumer)-friendly. I'm just glad I'm using a Mini.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Damo77
Goldmember
4,692 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 28, 2007 21:01 |  #3

It's worse than that - in my (brief) experience, the colour isn't even consistent on those screens from edge to edge. I duplicated an image, and placed it in the centre and to one side of the screen, and the outer one was visibly lighter.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

SeanH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 28, 2007 21:08 |  #4

Tony-S wrote in post #3816653 (external link)
Try using Shades (external link). Apple's getting a lot of heat over their iMacs. I started a thread yesterday about it. Seems the iMacs are taking away some of their business from the Mac Pros, so speculation is they're making it less pro(sumer)-friendly. I'm just glad I'm using a Mini.

Thanks, but there are not very many positive comments on that site, and it sounds like it might throw the color off.

I honestly can't believe Apple is not addressing this. I bought this to use for the sole purpose of photography, and it's worthless.

jargaguy
424 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 28, 2007 21:13 |  #5

Wow! That blows, I was planning on getting an Imac in the near future. They look quite slick!

Are you saying the Pro Desktop monster ($2500) with the monitor ($1000) is what I'm gonna have to get to get good consistent color? I was trying to avoid that!

JA

5D II - 30D w/ 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM - 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM - B+W 77mm UV(2) - B+W Circ. Pol. - 580EX II - 580 EX -(2)Alien Bee 800 - Sekonic-358 - Canon BG-E2 & E6 Battery Grips - Canon RS-80N3 - Canon CP-E4 Battery Pack - Custom Bracket Pro-M - Lumiquest Pro-Max 80-20 & Softbox Gitzo G1228 - Whibal - MacBook Pro - Lacie 320
www.jargapix.com (external link) - www.jargapix.zenfolio.​com (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,692 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 28, 2007 21:39 |  #6

Nope ... just get a decently-priced PC, and any monitor you want.

Damien

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 28, 2007 21:41 |  #7

SeanH wrote in post #3817142 (external link)
Thanks, but there are not very many positive comments on that site, and it sounds like it might throw the color off.

It looks to have a 4.5 rating (out of 5) from those who use it. My understanding is that this software needs to be launched, THEN do a calibration.

I honestly can't believe Apple is not addressing this. I bought this to use for the sole purpose of photography, and it's worthless.

Let's hope Stevie rectifies this. I hear the 20" iMacs are even worse. The 24" iMac I have at work (bought in January) has an H-IPS panel in it.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sadatk
Goldmember
1,392 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 28, 2007 21:46 |  #8

Damo77 wrote in post #3817351 (external link)
Nope ... just get a decently-priced PC, and any monitor you want.

Eh, not a fan of Windows to be honest but I really can't afford a Mac Pro. Guess it's the only choice for the cheapo college kids like me =/

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 28, 2007 21:55 |  #9

Tony-S wrote in post #3816653 (external link)

I'm one of those that's been on the edge of going Mac (more for fun of doing it than actually believing its any better), since its now possible to dual-boot windows... don't really have anything against them other than higher entry price point, and limited choice of software.

But IMO if they are crippling their imac's in such a way, they are shooting themselves in the foot. The long standing thought is that Mac's are better for graphics and imaging... if it turns out they are doing this, they're driving their lower-end customer base to PC's, and once those users have a shelf full of software they've invested in, they're less likely to turn back.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,692 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 28, 2007 22:00 |  #10

In my opinion, the belief that "Macs are better than PCs for imaging" is similar to the recent "CRTs are better than LCDs for imaging".

Yes, it was true once, but it's becoming less and less so.

Damien

rooeey
-Shorty-
2,554 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 28, 2007 22:01 |  #11

I couldn't make up my mind which way to go Mac or Microsoft but now i do...

Mac is suppose to be the graphics bees knees....

1D MK111 , 5D Classic,24-70F2.8, 16-35F2.8, 70-200F2.8 IS a 430EXII 2x 580EXII and a Mac...:cool:
http://s229.photobucke​t.com/albums/ee124/roo​eey/ (external link)

SeanH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 28, 2007 22:14 as a reply to  @ rooeey's post |  #12

Dunno guys, I'm going to war with Apple and we will see what happens. Probably just going to end up selling it and getting a new Dell XPS or something. And honestly my Dell 24" that is on my PC seems to be much sharper. Really I don't get the whole Mac thing after owning one, software is hard to find, some website don't work.........just a pain in the butt. I have yet to see any benefit..........excep​t for the virus thing. Other than that they are just a neat toy to have, and maybe just to be "different".

Mat ­ Fitzsimmons
699 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 28, 2007 22:16 |  #13

I'm not really sure why you're so shocked. iMacs are for mums and dads who want to surf the net, look at photos from their P&S, watch youtube movies, email Aunt Bertha ... that kind of stuff. Normal household type stuff. They're consumer-level computers. Consumer-level computers don't need colour calibration/etc.

Mac Pros are for serious graphics work. They're professional-level computers. They're not designed to do the same tasks.

Mat Fitzsimmons
Canon 5D, other Canon stuff

sadatk
Goldmember
1,392 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 28, 2007 22:20 |  #14

Mat Fitzsimmons wrote in post #3817609 (external link)
I'm not really sure why you're so shocked. iMacs are for mums and dads who want to surf the net, look at photos from their P&S, watch youtube movies, email Aunt Bertha ... that kind of stuff. Normal household type stuff.

Mac Pros are for serious graphics work. They're not designed to do the same tasks.

Aunt Bertha. Haha. :p

But Sean, Macs are so much more than what you describe. The software and OS itself is enough for me to get one over the PC. (I don't game) Every software I've used on Windows has a counterpart on the other side. I guess it's a personal preference.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 28, 2007 23:00 |  #15

Well, I gotta tell you, I just love my headless mac (Mac Mini). It's only a 1.66 gHz Core Duo, but it does just what I need - photography and video. I'm not much of a 3D gamer, so I don't need the big graphics processor. Plus, I can put any DVI or VGA display I want on it (although at this point all I can afford is a 22" Samsung SyncMaster 225BW). Considering I only have about $1300 in it, I feel pretty good.

sponsored links

26,338 views & 0 likes for this thread
Don't buy an IMAC for photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.