Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Aug 2007 (Thursday) 22:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lenses for motorsports

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 02, 2007 12:27 as a reply to  @ post 3845774 |  #31

I've got a 100-300 f4 EX and I'm really pleased with it on a 30D body.

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

sponsored links
EORI
821 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 02, 2007 12:59 as a reply to  @ post 3845774 |  #32

Glenn, I see you have the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8. How do you like it?

Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
7,333 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 02, 2007 13:08 |  #33

smcclelland wrote in post #3845774 (external link)
Cadwell, thanks for the post. I tested a copy of the 100-300 EX HSM this morning at my local camera shop and found nothing really wrong with the lens to be honest. AF was spot on and even in AI Servo there was no noticeable lag. The IQ was stellar and sharpness was spot on as well. I assume the other motorsport photographers didn't like the push-pull zoom or was it based on other things as well? Either way, I've got nothing against Sigma and I believe the 100-300 f4 w/ 1.4x TC will provide me with the reach I need for the Formula One next season.

To be honest I don't think the zoom mechanism came into it. I might be a bit odd but I actually like the push pull zoom. The main problem is that in the UK we are not blessed with good light very often and an f/5.6 lens struggles for AF accuracy in a way that an f/4 or f/2.8 lens doesn't. Remember that AI Servo tracking sampling rates fall off as the light reaching the AF sensor decreases and you get half as much light hitting those sensors at f/5.6 as you do at f/4. I'll happily snap away with the 100-400 on bright days but when the light starts to fade, things go pear shaped way too quickly.

Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsport (external link)/Canoe Polo (external link)/Other Stuff (external link)

Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
7,333 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 02, 2007 13:09 |  #34

EORI wrote in post #3845963 (external link)
Glenn, I see you have the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8. How do you like it?

If it broke I'd buy another in a heartbeat. There would be no thought involved, just an automatic reach for the credit card.

Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsport (external link)/Canoe Polo (external link)/Other Stuff (external link)

ruchad1
455 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 02, 2007 13:42 |  #35

cosworth wrote in post #3831140 (external link)
my 300 2.8 IS always goes to the track with me.

you ever use mode 2 for yer panning?

chadruhl.com (external link)

smcclelland
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,686 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 02, 2007 14:56 |  #36
bannedPermanently

Cadwell wrote in post #3846001 (external link)
To be honest I don't think the zoom mechanism came into it. I might be a bit odd but I actually like the push pull zoom. The main problem is that in the UK we are not blessed with good light very often and an f/5.6 lens struggles for AF accuracy in a way that an f/4 or f/2.8 lens doesn't. Remember that AI Servo tracking sampling rates fall off as the light reaching the AF sensor decreases and you get half as much light hitting those sensors at f/5.6 as you do at f/4. I'll happily snap away with the 100-400 on bright days but when the light starts to fade, things go pear shaped way too quickly.

Makes sense, most motorsports events here in Canada are graced with pretty nice weather unless you find yourself out west in vancouver during winter where it just rains a lot.

Shawn | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link)
There used to be Canon gear here but it disappeared.

tomekay
24 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 06, 2007 11:25 |  #37

Cadwell wrote in post #3846001 (external link)

I find your comments very interesting as I have thread (and I think you have probably commented on it already) with the same question.

Before today, I was hell bent on buying the Sigma 100-300 EX DG +1.4 (I think I will need more than 300mm). Then today looking at another thread I dcided on the 100-400 L IS USM and nearly bought one on my lunch break...but decided not to.

I dont know whether anyone on this section would know if its ok (The Sigma that is) for wildlife also, as it hasnt got OSD.

Im guessing by all comments that the Sig edges the Canon on IQ for motorsports (and yes, I live in the uk).

.....Or Sigma 70-200f2.8 + 2 Convertor (does the f stop equal the f4 + 1.4 though?)

Would ideally like a lens that could do both.

Cheers
Bill

You Lives and Learns!!!

Canon EOS 20D/Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro/Sigma 100-300 f4 EX DG HSM

sponsored links

3,709 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lenses for motorsports
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.