Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 31 Aug 2007 (Friday) 07:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice Needed

Transcendence
96 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 31, 2007 07:37 |  #1

I was approached by my girlfriends friend to do some event photos and team photos for a couple of teams in the league for a pretty large soccer league. The normal photographer is unable to do them for some reason but apparently the normal photographer is still doing some of the other teams photos but no action shots. Now I have a full schedule with little league football but my football games are on Saturdays and some of these soccer games are through the week. I figured I could use it as some fill in work. So she faxes me a price sheet from the other photographer and she asked me if I could do this for the same price the other photog charges. I was stunned to see these prices. Her prices are as follows.

8x10 $10.00
2-5x7's $10.00
5x7 $7.00

She has a whole price list but she is extremely cheap. I charge $20.00 for an 8x10 and $12.00 for a 5x7. Now I could still make money at this other photogs prices but I am pretty set on my prices. So my question is should I lower my prices for this because she is a friend and I may get a lot more work from this large soccer league or should I pass on it? I have always said these are my prices and that is it but I am kind of torn on this one.

sponsored links
IndyJeff
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Aug 31, 2007 08:16 |  #2

I would fax her back my price sheet and tell her this is what my prices are.

Your putting yourself ina precarious position if you do it at the other guys pricing. How do you explain to the football parents that your charging the soccer parents less for the same quality prints? How will they know? They may not but, what if one of the soccer parents also has a child playing football. Just food for thought.

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

pos
436 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 31, 2007 16:57 |  #3

When you start discounting for friends and word gets around you will have more friends than you need. Stick with your price list. pos

sonshine_rae
511 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2007 07:48 |  #4

Seems like your prices are reasonably low .. as it is.

Do they get a cut.. or anything? If not .. I'm not sure why it would matter to her/them.. if your prices are higher.. it's the parents who have to pay for it anyway right?

~Rae~

*Hoping to recapture the joy of photography, whilst living in chaos ..* Gear List: Canon 5d Classic, Canon 7d Classic, Canon Rebel XSI, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens; Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 di vc USD, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM lens, Canon 85 1.8 lens; Sigma 100-300mm f/4.5-6.7 DL lens, Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash, Panasonic DMC FZ200 Optical Zoom 35mm equiv. 24-600mm.

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 02, 2007 04:06 |  #5

stick to your prices, in the end if you dont do the job will it matter to you?

ichael ... (external link)
vettas media (external link) (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooter (external link) (my sportsshooter member page)

Transcendence
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 02, 2007 08:51 |  #6

No, they do not get a cut. Sometimes the league will get a small percentage but she has no interest in what I make unless she is just trying to make it cheaper for herself. Thanks for the input everyone. I am gonna stick to my pricing and if she wants me to do the photos then she will need to use my standard pricing.

sponsored links

872 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice Needed
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.