Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Aug 2007 (Friday) 13:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D – Do Tamron lenses work???

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 31, 2007 13:33 |  #1

Has anyone tested the 40D with some Tamron lenses yet to see if they still work? I would really like to know if my 17-50 and 90 are going to have problems with the new body since Tamron reverse engineers Canon’s technology vs Sigma who buys it.

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,308 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 31, 2007 13:45 |  #2

MaxxuM wrote in post #3835075 (external link)
Has anyone tested the 40D with some Tamron lenses yet to see if they still work? I would really like to know if my 17-50 and 90 are going to have problems with the new body since Tamron reverse engineers Canon’s technology vs Sigma who buys it.

shouldn't that be the other way around?

i would expect sigma incompatibility before tamron.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 31, 2007 13:46 |  #3

Isn't this still all speculation since none of us own a 40D or work with Sigma, Tamron, or Canon?

Sorry, I just never understood all these questions on something that technically doesn't exist yet.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 31, 2007 13:49 |  #4

_aravena wrote in post #3835158 (external link)
Isn't this still all speculation since none of us own a 40D or work with Sigma, Tamron, or Canon?

Sorry, I just never understood all these questions on something that technically doesn't exist yet.

It exists! It exists!:)

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,308 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 31, 2007 13:51 |  #5

_aravena wrote in post #3835158 (external link)

there are plenty of 40d owners.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 31, 2007 14:00 |  #6

No, they own the privilege of receiving one, but not actually in their possession.

And I said, technically, not actually.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 31, 2007 14:02 |  #7

_aravena wrote in post #3835251 (external link)
No, they own the privilege of receiving one, but not actually in their possession.

No, people have received them. Come on man, this is POTN, you should be in the know.;)

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 31, 2007 14:09 |  #8

ed rader wrote in post #3835151 (external link)
shouldn't that be the other way around?

i would expect sigma incompatibility before tamron.

ed rader

The way I understand it is Sigma is less likely to have problems than Tamron because they pay Canon to use the AF technology while Tamron reverse engineers it meaning they ‘may’ have trouble auto-focusing, sending info to the camera and generally working.

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 31, 2007 14:10 |  #9

There's nothing drastically changed enough in the 40D body to lens AF that would cause any 3rd party lenses not to work.
Personally, I think that stuff is a thing of the past.

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 31, 2007 14:14 |  #10

Mr. Clean wrote in post #3835302 (external link)
There's nothing drastically changed enough in the 40D body to lens AF that would cause any 3rd party lenses not to work.
Personally, I think that stuff is a thing of the past.

You are probably right... But I would still like to hear it ;)

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,887 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 31, 2007 15:36 |  #11

MaxxuM wrote in post #3835294 (external link)
The way I understand it is Sigma is less likely to have problems than Tamron because they pay Canon to use the AF technology while Tamron reverse engineers it meaning they ‘may’ have trouble auto-focusing, sending info to the camera and generally working.

Nope, Sigma is the only of the 3 main non-OEM players not to pay license fees to Canon, according to my sources. Sigma is the one doing the reverse engineering, not Tamron.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 3 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Aug 31, 2007 15:44 |  #12

_aravena wrote in post #3835251 (external link)

Might actually want to read around the forum...several people have 40Ds in their possession and are actually out using them.

For the OP: There is no earthly reason to expect that Tamron lenses won't work on the 40D. It is just an upgrade to an existing camera line.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 31, 2007 17:50 |  #13

wimg wrote in post #3835757 (external link)
Nope, Sigma is the only of the 3 main non-OEM players not to pay license fees to Canon, according to my sources. Sigma is the one doing the reverse engineering, not Tamron.
Kind regards, Wim

Woolburr wrote in post #3835796 (external link)
For the OP: There is no earthly reason to expect that Tamron lenses won't work on the 40D. It is just an upgrade to an existing camera line.

Well, this is good to hear :)

For some reason I though it was the other way around. Thanks for the info guys... Not too worried now.

sponsored links

2,086 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D – Do Tamron lenses work???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.