Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jul 2004 (Saturday) 13:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

hoodman h-dcr lcd viewfinder review

s00pcan
261 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jul 10, 2004 13:13 |  #1

Two weeks ago I was out on some sand dunes taking pictures of my family riding 4 wheelers and noticed I couldn't see the lcd on my G3 at all. So when I got home I started looking at film slr cameras because I wanted a good viewfinder. Instead I bought the hoodman h-dcr lcd viewfinder and recieved it today.

It is made of soft rubber with a plastic 2x magnifier. It collapses down so it's more compact when you don't need to use it. Bad part about the design is that the rubber isn't very sturdy. When you press your eye against it it will move, so doesn't help as much as it should for getting less shaky images. Also, the sides are a tight fit for the g3's screen, and if the sides are bent in you won't be able to fully see some of the settings.

It comes with a strap to connect it to your camera that can either be set horizantally or vertically. I'm guessing it's 2mm thick, plus the notches. You can cut the extra cord off. Even a small string keeps the swivel screen from folding back into the G3, and this doesn't even come close. It barely closes enough to make the screen flip back from self portrait (mirrored) mode. I haven't tried velcro yet.

Ok the view inside it. Yes, you can see the pixels, but they're not huge. It completely blocks out other light (I didn't even notice my flash going off). It's sharp enough to judge manual focus accuratly and use a polarizer.

If you want one, get it where I got it: http://stores.ebay.com​/Ipkus-Imaging (external link) for $20 w/ free shipping. Alternatives are the digifinder and extend-a-view. I just got this today, so I'll post again after I put it to real use. Ask if you want to know something about it.

Leighow
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Aug 07, 2004 16:28 |  #2

Sounds like a useful feature -- they used to be only a "shade".

May I also suggest (and I don't have yet) .. some kind of lens shade. I KNOW that if your light has you "in the hood" -- the lens needs to be shaded too -- just a learned bit of advice . I may use an umbrella-- but then I don;t use a tripod.

s00pcan
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Aug 07, 2004 17:37 |  #3

I just got a 420ex and all that light bouncing around causes more flares that I had with the internal flash. I probably do need a lens hood now.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Leighow
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Aug 07, 2004 19:30 |  #4

s00pcan wrote:
I just got a 420ex and all that light bouncing around causes more flares that I had with the internal flash. I probably do need a lens hood now.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Well I am an outdoors guy and I suspect that I am having lots of trouble with the sun -- especially when I shoot outside the magic hours.

Good luck .. for $19 looks like a deal!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
hoodman h-dcr lcd viewfinder review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.