Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Sep 2007 (Monday) 11:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G7 Sucking Dust

Reservoir_Dog
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 03, 2007 11:07 |  #1

Hi all,

my G7 has dust between the inner lens elements, and i know that it wasnt when i bought it.

Are there others with this problem? How to deal with it? Send it back to canon?

Greetings!

sponsored links
EORI
821 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 03, 2007 11:29 |  #2

Every one of my lenses (including several sealed L lenses) have dust. My G7 is no exception. It hasn't affected the image quality. I wouldn't obsess over it. :)

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 03, 2007 17:38 |  #3

Yes, don't worry about it. These are not hermetically sealed cameras. G7 has moving parts notably the lens, that requires some space tolerance in order to function.

Reservoir_Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 12, 2007 16:43 as a reply to  @ Savas K's post |  #4

Then why am i reading all across the net about people like me, who's got more and more dust in that lens? And eventually see it in the pictures?
With my G2 i didnt had that....

EORI
821 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 12, 2007 18:23 as a reply to  @ Reservoir_Dog's post |  #5

How about posting some images where the dust is visible?

gariber
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 14, 2007 21:55 as a reply to  @ EORI's post |  #6

I to have a G7 with dust problems. I had enough dust insde the lens to have it repared under waranty. Now the waranty is over and dust is acumulating. Those of you who think it is ok for a 6 month old camera to have dust in it, have forgoten what quality is supposed to be. I have a Sony DSC S70 for about 8 year now and there is not a single sign of dust in it, even if I look for it with a laser. Yes it can show on pictures, not all of them and only in certain conditions, but it is not 1 year old!! What will it look like in 8 years? Especialy for a camera this expensive, I expected more. We should not minimize this problem. Like Reservoir_Dog said, his G2 did not do that. Why should we tolerate this? If you bought a car and lost all four hubcaps within a week, would you accept that somebody tells you it is still roling so don't complain? We feel that we did'nt get the quality we payed for. Buying such an expensive compact camera (one of if not the most expensive) I should not have to wory if it will be still usable in two years. This is my first Canon and frankly, if Canon does not help me in any way with this when I will call them, it will be the last one of my life. I payed over 1K can$ for the camera and accessories (battery, converter lenses). This is unacceptable and ridiculous.

Bernard

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EORI
821 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 14, 2007 23:39 as a reply to  @ gariber's post |  #7

That's not dust. It looks more like a bead of water that trickled down and dried on the lens. Were you taking pictures in rainy conditions (your sample image shows a stormy sea)? Was the front element of your lens clean?

Dust particles inside a lens, unless we're talking about a cookie crumb size one, will generally not show in the image. I have 2 digital SLRs, and over a dozen Canon lenses. Every one of those lenses has some degree of dust inside, and it is never visible in the images under any condition. I also have dust accumulate on the camera sensor, and even there, the only time it will appear in the image is if I'm shooting with the lens closed way down.

I have had my G7 since about March of this year, and looking into the lens with a magnifying glass, I see very few if any dust particles inside.

gariber
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 15, 2007 11:24 as a reply to  @ EORI's post |  #8

Water never trinkled inside and it may not be the dust itself, but a consequance. Going from a air conditioned hotel room to the hot and humid air of the caribbean created condensation inside the lens, which is normal and hapened also with my Sony. But the humidity must have disolved the dust and created halos. You might not see the dust particle it self in the picture, but in very bright scenes, light will reflect on it and reduce contrast, subtly but surely affecting the image. Also, dust will project larger shadows on a compact camera sensor than on a DSLR bigger sensor.
Have you seen this video on youtube?
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=F7QxuAuJ2LM (external link)
You might not see the problem now, but are'nt you woried? Why would an old G2 be dust free but your spanking new G7 starts to show signs of dust? I hope you don't plan a trip to India soon! Yes it can be argued if it shows or not in the picture (for now), but so many complaints after so little time means there is a problem. I returned mine after 2 months of use. This camera was to expansive for this to happen. I sincerely hope they changed the lens on the G9 and if they did, beeing the same construction as the G7 it should not be so hard to do a recall and fix them all. If not, I would never recomand buying a G9.

Reservoir_Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 15, 2007 14:08 as a reply to  @ gariber's post |  #9

I am going to bring my G7 back, its still in his warranty time...

Greetings.

EORI
821 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 15, 2007 19:47 |  #10

gariber wrote in post #3935573 (external link)
Have you seen this video on youtube?
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=F7QxuAuJ2LM (external link)
You might not see the problem now, but are'nt you woried?

Yes, I had seen it before, as it was posted by a forum member back in April. Whatever it is, it certainly looks bad. My guess is that it is manufacturing dust and other contaminants that have made its way to the sensor.

If this was a widespread problem, I would expect to have seen more posts about it, both here and on other digital camera sites. The G7 is used by professionals, who would be very particular and vocal about such problems. I wonder if it is a defect that's affected a particular batch?

I'll keep a close eye on my camera, and do some periodic image testing to make sure it isn't occurring.

If your camera is as bad as the images from Youtube, I would certainly be upset.

gariber
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 15, 2007 22:43 as a reply to  @ EORI's post |  #11

I wonder if it is a defect that's affected a particular batch?

Then why would'nt Canon say anything about it? I would love to know! Now I have to pay the repare to find out.

Good luck Reservoir_Dog! Hope it will be fixed!

EORI
821 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 15, 2007 23:47 |  #12

gariber wrote in post #3938512 (external link)
Now I have to pay the repare to find out.

If it happened before, and you had it repaired under warranty, and it's happened again, then I why not tell Canon that they failed to repair it adequately the first time, and demand that they repair it again for free. The only problem that you may run into is the visible condensation marks. I doubt that's covered under warranty.

aostling
79 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 16, 2008 21:24 as a reply to  @ EORI's post |  #13

In April my G7 went electrically dead, two weeks before the warranty expired. Canon repaired that problem. But I noticed dust spots on the image, much like those which have been posted here. I sent the camera back to the Canon repair facility in New Jersey, expecting that the dust problem would be taken care of for no charge, even though the warranty has now expired. I explained that there was no problem with dust before it got into the repair facility (where the camera body was opened up).

Canon now wants $147. They say there is now damage to the case, with 2 or 3 mm cracks! This is ridiculous, as there was no such damage when I wrapped the camera in the same packing that the repair center sent it back in before. Very effective packing. They say the package was undamaged (or they would have refused delivery), but that the camera now has these big gaps in the casing.

On the phone I asked to talk to the supervisor. The woman said that she was the supervisor. I guess I will have no choice but to pay the $147, since the camera is worthless unless repaired. But I am irritated.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

May 17, 2008 16:38 |  #14

gariber wrote in post #3932618 (external link)
I to have a G7 with dust problems. I had enough dust insde the lens to have it repared under waranty. Now the waranty is over and dust is acumulating. Those of you who think it is ok for a 6 month old camera to have dust in it, have forgoten what quality is supposed to be. I have a Sony DSC S70 for about 8 year now and there is not a single sign of dust in it, even if I look for it with a laser. Yes it can show on pictures, not all of them and only in certain conditions, but it is not 1 year old!! What will it look like in 8 years? Especialy for a camera this expensive, I expected more. We should not minimize this problem. Like Reservoir_Dog said, his G2 did not do that. Why should we tolerate this? If you bought a car and lost all four hubcaps within a week, would you accept that somebody tells you it is still roling so don't complain? We feel that we did'nt get the quality we payed for. Buying such an expensive compact camera (one of if not the most expensive) I should not have to wory if it will be still usable in two years. This is my first Canon and frankly, if Canon does not help me in any way with this when I will call them, it will be the last one of my life. I payed over 1K can$ for the camera and accessories (battery, converter lenses). This is unacceptable and ridiculous.

Bernard

This looks like condensation on the sensor itself, not on the lens. It sure doesn't look like dust to me. For dust in the lens you wouldn't see it as dots or blobs on the image anyway, and it would take a lot of dust to result in any noticeable image quality degradation (i.e., lower contrast).

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

aostling
79 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 17, 2008 18:36 as a reply to  @ Bob_A's post |  #15

Bob,

You are replying to a post from last September -- I assume you didn't check the date.

I kicked this thread back to life, since it seemed an appropriate place to vent frustration at the dust problem which does indeed seem to be a problem with the G7, certainly on mine.

sponsored links

2,739 views & 0 likes for this thread
G7 Sucking Dust
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.