Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Sep 2007 (Tuesday) 15:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Projector for photo display

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 04, 2007 15:38 |  #1

I'm looking to buy a above average quality projector for displaying wedding client photos, slideshows, etc. Also be good to use as a home theatre set up and run TV and DVD's through it. My budget is uncertain, but would go up to around A$2000 ~ US$ 1750. Can anyone recommend a good projector?

Thanks

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 05, 2007 15:54 |  #2

What kind of inputs are you looking for and how many devices will you connect to it? The higher-end projectors have HDMI, but I've found that component is just about the same for projectors. My home theater is based on a Mac Mini Core Duo with EyeTV HD digital receiver. My Toshiba projector does 720 HD and it's really nice. Unfortunately, the only HD content I can use are a few of the broadcast stations and Apple's HD movie trailers. Hopefully, BlueRay support isn't too far around the corner.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 05, 2007 15:58 |  #3

$2000 isn’t much when considering a projector IME. Yes, there are tons of projectors in that price range but most are pretty dull when considering lumens and bulb replacement will range from $300 - $700 and sometimes more after 1000-2000hrs (if you are ‘lucky’). Truth be told, it is far cheaper and much more vibrant to use a Plasma TV.

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 05, 2007 20:32 |  #4

Tony-S wrote in post #3867937 (external link)
What kind of inputs are you looking for and how many devices will you connect to it? The higher-end projectors have HDMI, but I've found that component is just about the same for projectors. My home theater is based on a Mac Mini Core Duo with EyeTV HD digital receiver. My Toshiba projector does 720 HD and it's really nice. Unfortunately, the only HD content I can use are a few of the broadcast stations and Apple's HD movie trailers. Hopefully, BlueRay support isn't too far around the corner.

Looking to run off my imac 20", maybe with Apple TV... but i'll check to see about your EyeTV.... what does that do?

I dont think I need HD, and from the pricing I've seen so far I dont think i would go there either. Just want above average to excellent image quality for running slideshows and proofing photos with clients.

MaxxuM wrote in post #3867969 (external link)
$2000 isn’t much when considering a projector IME. Yes, there are tons of projectors in that price range but most are pretty dull when considering lumens and bulb replacement will range from $300 - $700 and sometimes more after 1000-2000hrs (if you are ‘lucky’). Truth be told, it is far cheaper and much more vibrant to use a Plasma TV.

Good point re the plasma, but i do wedding photography and a projector would be portable enough to run slideshows at receptions etc so that has the edge for me.

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 05, 2007 20:50 |  #5

Ahhh, that makes sense. I haven't shopped around for a projector in about a year – we stopped buying them at work because of the cost of bulb replacement. Have you been over to the AVS Forum? Those guys helped my tons when getting my current LCD TV early this year. All I can say is since you'll be moving it around get one that is sturdy and meant for portability (70% are made of pretty flimsy plastic btw). Also, when buying it, go look for the replacement bulbs and see if they are even available to buy. You'd be surprised how hard some can be to get. I use Eiki's mostly and they are pretty good for the most part but best of all, the bulbs are pretty easy to find and won't kill ya at around $350 for the entry level ones. At least 2000 lumens is probably where you'll want to start and 1080p if you'll be doing any HT with it. Getting one with component input is getting easier, but HD will be going all HDMI/DVI soon, and those projectors are a bit more expensive. And two things to watch out for its 1) Do NOT unplug it right after using it. Let it cool down first – a light will come on and tell you when it is safe to do so. If not, the bulb may crack. 2) Never drop it – even 2-3” drop can blow the bulb! I did it once... just 2” drop onto my desk and pop, there went $490 :(

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 05, 2007 21:11 |  #6

razyl wrote in post #3869546 (external link)
Looking to run off my imac 20", maybe with Apple TV... but i'll check to see about your EyeTV.... what does that do?

I dont think I need HD, and from the pricing I've seen so far I dont think i would go there either. Just want above average to excellent image quality for running slideshows and proofing photos with clients.

My projector isn't sold anymore (Toshiba TDP-9U), but you might consider this one:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …tail&Q=&sku=461​684&is=REG (external link)

With the $200 rebate it's a pretty good buy, and this projector gets rave reviews from those who use it. It's lumens are fewer than my Toshiba, but those who have it don't seem to complain.

Your iMac can have a VGA or composite output, so this projector will work with either (go with the VGA adapter, though). The projector also has both HDMI and component inputs, so if you get an Apple TV it should work just fine. It also has composite and S-video inputs so if you need to connect antiquated devices (e.g., VCR and DirecTV receiver) it'll work with those as well.

If you check out my web page, I have a link that describes my home theater and Apple TV. The home theater is based on a Mac Mini connected to the Toshiba projector and an Onkyo 5.1 surround system (both Dolby Digital and DTS) through the Mini's digital optical port (Toslink), and with a 10 foot-wide Draper screen. :D Our Apple TV is connected to our SDTV (480i) in the family room by composite video inputs. The ATV only does Dolby Pro Logic II (5-channel) at this point, but hopefully Apple will license DD or DTS for 5.1 in the future (it is already hardware-compatible). All movies and TV series that we have are ripped as H.264 files onto a wireless-n sever with a 500 gb drive and we can access it with all four Macs that we have in the house. It's a good time, but I spend waaaay too much time watching movies. :)

The EyeTV Hybrid is a USB receiver that decodes digital TV and displays it on the Mac. We have one Denver station that is 1080i (the rest are 720 or 480) and it is fabulous. Nothing like the NFL in high-def! It also acts as a recorder and will automatically transcode to MP4 video and add it to the iTunes library. All automated. It's really nice.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links

1,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
Projector for photo display
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.