Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 05 Sep 2007 (Wednesday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post Your Best HDR Photo

mrgtturbo
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: Maine USA. If you can't find it... follow the beer trucks.

Mar 02, 2008 23:30 as a reply to  @ post 5028709 |  #316

You guys do such beautiful work, and I just do not understand how... How's it even possible? I drove around today looking for something to catch my eye to photograph with this HDR in mind. I took some pretty nice looking shots, (though I took them out my truck window). I was just trying to get something to play with in Photomatix. Everything came out crappy compared to the ones posted here.

Though my photos are full of color, the HDRs are grainular, and blan. I will say I do like the HDR I am about to post, (in a way), but all the color was drained out of it... and it was the color I was looking most to enhance. I'm feeling very disappointed now. I accept that being my first day and all trying the HDRs I can in no way expect to have results like the ones here on the forum, I'm cool with that. But I could not do anything to give them any realistic color. I just can't help but wonder why. :(

Here it is....... :oops:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …/EOS40D/IMG_200​8_6_7b.jpg (external link)

If "Yosemite Sam" had a real Canon, he'd shoot that rabbit every time! Come spring, my ferret and I are loading the 40D and, well... we're going weasel hunting. ;)

sponsored links
Beau ­ Hudspeth
-Cool Title-
2,839 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 03, 2008 01:46 |  #317

Can you post/host the original files so we can take a look at them and see if the issue you are having is in the taking of the images or in the post-production?

Thanx!

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickr (external link)

mrgtturbo
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 03, 2008 08:28 as a reply to  @ Beau Hudspeth's post |  #318

Thank you.
I will post them below. I only shunk them to 600pw so that they would still be big enough to play with, (if anyone wishes to try with them... feel free to). They may not be the "greatest" photos, but being I was quite steady with the camera they line up well, and I would think that they would be good enough to get something fairly nice out of.

http://img.photobucket​.com …o/EOS40D/IMG_20​06x600.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …o/EOS40D/IMG_20​07x600.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …o/EOS40D/IMG_20​08x600.jpg (external link)

But maybe I am wrong an the photos are too crappy to do this HDR thing with.
I'm not a professional like you all... but I'm trying to learn to be.

If "Yosemite Sam" had a real Canon, he'd shoot that rabbit every time! Come spring, my ferret and I are loading the 40D and, well... we're going weasel hunting. ;)

X-Warrior
590 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 03, 2008 12:58 as a reply to  @ mrgtturbo's post |  #319

I've seen purple colours when I've been mixing bright white areas (i.e. sunset, very annoying).

But I don't see such bright areas in your pictures.

Here's what PSP X2 did for me, with only a few brightness/clarity optimisations:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Definately a processing problem I'd say.

Something wide (external link), something long (external link), something fishy (external link), something strong (external link), something for details (external link), something to put it on (external link).
To view my image showcase, visit: http://www.dvdpimages.​com (external link)

mrgtturbo
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 03, 2008 16:50 as a reply to  @ X-Warrior's post |  #320

When I saw what you did to my photos my first thought was; how the hell did he do that, he got color, what's wrong with my laptop. My 2nd thought was... He had the jpegs not Raw files.

That must be where I screwed up in understanding how it was done. I was trying to make the HDR out of 3 RAW files. I tried again this time with jpegs and boom... there was correct color.

Thanks so much for helping me with this.
I am much less disappointed now. I'm going to play around with it tonight and see what I can come up with now.
Thanks again. :D

thenadamgoes
31 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 03, 2008 17:07 |  #321

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2355/2225597254_a1fbc83e1f_b.jpg

I have several more at my flickr page. http://www.flickr.com/​photos/thenadamgoes/ (external link)

buddy4344
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 03, 2008 17:18 |  #322

Basic photo from Amsterdam

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

Beau ­ Hudspeth
-Cool Title-
2,839 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 03, 2008 18:23 |  #323

Here is one from Photomatix done with the three you provided. It gave me no color shift and all looked good.

http://i211.photobucke​t.com …ction%20Example​s/barn.jpg (external link)

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickr (external link)

mrgtturbo
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 03, 2008 21:24 as a reply to  @ Beau Hudspeth's post |  #324

OK.... how' this.... better?

http://img.photobucket​.com …o/EOS40D/IMG_20​38_6_7.jpg (external link)

I guess what I need to know now is; Are you all doing these from the JPEGs, or are some of you making them from the RAW files? I was confussed at first, (for some reason), and thought I was only to make them from the RAW files. I ask because if RAW files can be used aswell, (and there is a benifit), It may be time to upgrade my RAM.

Now I only need to get as good at shooting as you all.

X-Warrior
590 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 04, 2008 11:54 as a reply to  @ mrgtturbo's post |  #325

I do all my HDR's from RAW - PSP has no problems reading the 400D's raw files. Maybe the sofware you're using can't handle your raws too well ?

In general, I think HDR should really be done with RAW images, before any kind of processing (which has happened in jpegs). If possible of course :)

Something wide (external link), something long (external link), something fishy (external link), something strong (external link), something for details (external link), something to put it on (external link).

mrgtturbo
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 04, 2008 18:12 as a reply to  @ X-Warrior's post |  #326

So I was understanding correctly from the beginning about doing them in RAW.

I was using Photomatrix Pro.

Since they came out ok when done in JPEG, do you think it could possibly be a ram issue?

Laptop is;
1.4 or 1.5Ghz, (I forget which), Centrino Duo, XP Media Edition, 1G Ram. It's far from the best... but it's adaquate for most things. I am probably robbing memmory some by running a 2nd monitor. However I am able to run 3D Studio Max smoothly, and Poser 7 with a couple dozen props, and around 6 of 7 characters and yet still render, (slows down like a one legged dog at that point, but it does still complete). It's understandable manipulating those scenes, they run about 500 or so meg. The RAW files combined come up to what... 70 or 80 meg... maybe? What do think the problem is? Best guess.

I like my Centrino, however if it is not appropriate for things like this, it may be time to think about upgrading while I can still find something that will run an OS other than only Vista. :mad:

X-Warrior
590 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 05, 2008 13:07 as a reply to  @ mrgtturbo's post |  #327

Don't know what could be causing it... I'd say some hidden setting may be wrong. Maybe it needs an update because the RAW reading of your specific files is corrupt ? (Not saying it is btw.) Perhaps someone else with Photomatrix could comment ?

I don't think system specs really matter in this. All they'll do if they're insufficient is either make things terribly slow, or make stuff crash. Not produce strange looking pictures... I'd be surprised if that happened anyway.

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 06, 2008 09:39 |  #328

mrgtturbo wrote in post #5048804 (external link)

Since they came out ok when done in JPEG, do you think it could possibly be a ram issue?

Laptop is;
1.4 or 1.5Ghz, (I forget which), Centrino Duo, XP Media Edition, 1G Ram. It's far from the best... but it's adaquate for most things. I am probably robbing memmory some by running a 2nd monitor. However I am able to run 3D Studio Max smoothly, and Poser 7 with a couple dozen props, and around 6 of 7 characters and yet still render, (slows down like a one legged dog at that point, but it does still complete). It's understandable manipulating those scenes, they run about 500 or so meg. The RAW files combined come up to what... 70 or 80 meg... maybe? What do think the problem is? Best guess.

I like my Centrino, however if it is not appropriate for things like this, it may be time to think about upgrading while I can still find something that will run an OS other than only Vista. :mad:

Grabbed this from another thread.

http://beforethecoffee​.wordpress.com/photoma​tix-tutorial/ (external link)

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

alistairksmith
218 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 06, 2008 10:24 |  #329

mrgtturbo wrote in post #5048804 (external link)

I had a problem like this with my raws from my 40D. I then upgraded to the latest version of photomatix and everything worked fine.

cheers
Ali

Trish1023
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 06, 2008 13:43 |  #330

Here are a few of my favorites on Photobucket.

http://img.photobucket​.com …HDRs/AftertheSt​orm2-4.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …h1023/HDRs/Clou​dySky6.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …3/HDRs/StreetLi​ght1-5.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …h1023/HDRs/Clou​dySky3.jpg (external link)

~ Trish [SIZE=2]:cool:
Canon EOS 50D, Canon 70-200 / 2.8L IS USM II, Canon 24-70 / 2.8L, Tamron 18-250 /3.5-6.3, Tokina 10-17 /3.5-4.5 Fisheye, Canon 28-135 / 3.5-5.6 IS, Canon 75-300 /4-5.6, Canon 50 /1.8, Canon 18-55 Kit Lense
Canon 580 EX ll and 430EX Speedlite and Quantum Turbo 2x2

sponsored links

903,945 views & 8 likes for this thread
Post Your Best HDR Photo
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.