Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Sep 2007 (Thursday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HP Deskjet 1220c

Sgt.
914 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 13, 2007 14:17 |  #1

Does anyone have any experience with one of these printers?
A guy I work with is selling one for 100 $.
Just want to know if it is worth it. Or should I wait and buy something else.

Thanks

Iain
7D MKII
Another minion in the Pondrader fan club

sponsored links
bluesoul
146 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 13, 2007 18:34 |  #2

Given that it's almost 5 years old it's gonna be your call. Bear in mind HP has discontinued this item and offers no support on it. The ink cartridges ( 45 & 78 ) aren't particularly well suited for photo printing, but $100 for a wide-format printer is good. I picked up the HP Photosmart 8750 for $269 and I'm happy with it.

Sgt.
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 14, 2007 09:39 as a reply to  @ bluesoul's post |  #3

Thanks for the input.
Anybody else???

Iain
7D MKII

Sgt.
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 15, 2007 15:19 as a reply to  @ Sgt.'s post |  #4

Has nobody else used one of these printers????

Iain
7D MKII

dale65bama
687 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 16, 2007 23:06 as a reply to  @ Sgt.'s post |  #5

I have one that is probably more than 5 yr old. It is a workhorse and will print up to 13 x 19 inches. It does OK on photos, but certainly not archival quality. It runs at 300 dpi and is great for reports. If you use good photo paper for inkjet printers, the prints would be OK for temporary display. It has both USB and parallel connection ports and can handle large paper in either the tray or in by-pass mode. It's big - about 2 ft wide and almost as deep with the output tray extended to catch long paper. The large ink cartridges are huge compared to most printers. I use it for reports and medium quality output of 4 x 6 inch pictures included in Word documents as well as 11 x 17 map figures and aerial photos using ArcView GIS software.

If it has not be heavily used, it should last a long while, but don't expect slick archival photo prints.

Dale

EOS 5D, Digital Rebel, EF-S 18-55mm Kit Lens; EF 200mm F2.8L, EF 100 f2.8 Macro, 500mm Celestron 80EDF; Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG macro; Cool POTN strap; BG-E1 Grip, CanoScan 8800f; RRS BH-40 Pro II on 3021BPRO legs

Sgt.
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 17, 2007 01:09 as a reply to  @ dale65bama's post |  #6

Well he has let me try it out first and I bought some HP 5X7 paper and all they do is get jammed!
Tried a test page with regular paper and it works ok.:evil:

Iain
7D MKII

Dylanlewis2000
444 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 17, 2007 04:09 as a reply to  @ Sgt.'s post |  #7

I have one of these! They are ok printers, not photo printers though. Depending how picky you are, pictures can be bitty, and repoduction of colours isnt great. For $100 i would take it, only downside ink can be expensive. As said 45 and 78, however there is a big watch out with these. On the back of the cartridge, there is a ammount in ML, which is the capacity of the cartridge. There is a high and a low capacity, so be caerful with that. Photos appear a bit dark, however i use mine for A3 printing, so i put it on my wall. Using small photo paper is a bit of pain as the rollers can ware and you will no longer be able to pick any paper up, well small paper. A4 and A3 should be fine. HP's are built to last, and my one is a awesome printer, its about 7-8 maybe a bit more years old, but its still going strong.

Canon 400D, Canon 17-85 IS USM, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 100-300 F/4 DG EX, Sigma 150mm F2.8 MACRO EX, Jessops Extention Tubes, Jessops X2 Tele.

sponsored links

1,455 views & 0 likes for this thread
HP Deskjet 1220c
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.