Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Sep 2007 (Saturday) 08:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help shooting swim meet

Bill ­ Pham
Cream of the Crop
5,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 15, 2007 08:04 |  #1

i folks just needed some tips on shooting swimming meet. my niece ask me to shoot her swimming. i just don't know what setting or what to use. mostly i'm shooting macro. so any tips will help. i'll be using a 30d and 300d with 80-200 2.8 and 200 L and 24-85

Bill

winning is fun and second is for loser
I got Mitch hook on wide angle :lol::lol:
Gear list
http://billpham.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
WebMonkey
157 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 16, 2007 09:23 |  #2

Most important, Get close; most like to see face shots and the water looking like ice. Early shots (before they breathe) are real good also; the swimmer appears to be shrink wrapped in cellophane. Don’t worry too much about getting all arms or hands completely in the frame, if you have the face tack sharp the image works.

Don’t use an Extender, to slow (AF). Cuts down the keeper rate

I’ve spent a few years shooting only aquatics per say, and have built a nice library of images. I shoot with 20D and 1dmIIn body and my prim lens is 300mm f/2.8L IS or 70-200 IS. I shoot any where am allowed to be. Most of the time if it’s within my range of filling 40% of my frame I start shooting no matter where I am, standing or kneeling.

Swimming shots are best during long cores, it give you a better angle at getting more swimmers in one frame.

freestyle,
I watch to see witch side the swimmier is breathing from on there flip turn to insure face time and then shoot standing at a 45 degree to the swimmer with my camera at a 20 degree in my hand to give the appearance their swimming up hill, And shoot low if you want other swimmers in the frame.

Breast
has to be the easiest of all, they have to come up every stroke, I prefer a side shot but right in line with the swimmer looks good also, low or high both work. And shooting from the side will give you more keepers as far as auto focus.

Fly
works best from the side if you want a tight crop and other swimmers in the shot,But a straight on face shot works well.

Back
is the hardest to get, most of the time the swimmer is splashing water over their face, so I shoot it from the side mostly. Back is great if you’re standing in lane 1 and shooting lane 1, then shoot them streamlining under the water as you walk the deck just keep shooting and shooting.

I shoot manual because Aperture or Shutter prioritys gives you very inconstant exposures due to the light changing with the plashes.

One trade secrete that I will share with you, but don’t tell any one else; I shoot many daytime images with my 580EX, CP-E3 battery pack in highsink mode and 1/3 to 2/3 stop Under, this makes the water look more like ice and stand out of the images.

But don't flash the Starts, very bad.;)

Samples
http://www.tesoroaquat​ics.com/proposal/index​.html (external link)

Averages

Out Side
Al-Servo
1600th
Iso 400
Spot metering on the face
Burst of 3 to 4 frames

Indoors
Al-Servo
F2.8
320th
Iso 1600
Burst of 3 to 4 frames

Steve
RSM California

david888lee
804 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 16, 2007 15:28 |  #3

WebMonkey wrote in post #3940528 (external link)
Most important, Get close; most like to see face shots and the water looking like ice. Early shots (before they breathe) are real good also; the swimmer appears to be shrink wrapped in cellophane. Don’t worry too much about getting all arms or hands completely in the frame, if you have the face tack sharp the image works.

Don’t use an Extender, to slow. Cuts down the keeper rate

I’ve spent a few years shooting only aquatics per say, and have built a nice library of images. I shoot with 20D and 1dmIIn body and my prim lens is 300mm f/2.8L IS or 70-200 IS. I shoot any where am allowed to be. Most of the time if it’s within my range of filling 40% of my frame I start shooting no matter where I am, standing or kneeling.

Swimming shots are best during long cores, it give you a better angle at getting more swimmers in one frame.

freestyle,
I watch to see witch side the swimmier is breathing from on there flip turn to insure face time and then shoot standing at a 45 degree to the swimmer with my camera at a 20 degree in my hand to give the appearance their swimming up hill, And shoot low if you want other swimmers in the frame.

Breast
has to be the easiest of all, they have to come up every stroke, I prefer a side shot but right in line with the swimmer looks good also, low or high both work.

Fly
works best from the side if you want a tight crop and other swimmers in the shot,But a straight on face shot works well.

Back
is the hardest to get, most of the time the swimmer is splashing water over their face, so I shoot it from the side mostly. Back is great if you’re standing in lane 1 and shooting lane 1, then shoot them streamlining under the water as you walk the deck just keep shooting and shooting.

I shoot manual because Aperture or Shutter prioritys gives you very inconstant exposures due to the light changing with the plashes.

One trade secrete that I will share with you, but don’t tell any one else; I shoot many daytime images with my 580EX, CP-E3 battery pack in highsink mode and 1/3 to 2/3 stop Under, this makes the water look more like ice and stand out of the images.

Samples

Averages

Out Side
Al-Servo
1600th
Iso 400
Burst of 3 to 4 frames

Indoors
Al-Servo
F2.8
320th
Iso 1600
Burst of 3 to 4 frames

that is some very good advice and a very nice gallery!! i have a few questions, since i would like to shoot some swimming pictures also. when you shoot at 1600th, do you shoot in manual mode or tv mode. if you shoot in manual, what aperture do you use? thanks!

Canon 50d | Canon Xti | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 30 f/1.4

[-=Feedback=-] [flickr] external link

WebMonkey
157 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 17, 2007 17:37 as a reply to  @ david888lee's post |  #4

manual mode gives me more keepers and outdoors around f7, indoors f2.8 and 320th or higher if the light lets me.:)

Steve
RSM California

mcmadkat
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 17, 2007 18:23 |  #5

Nice gallery WebMonkey, my only gripe is that on 1024x768 I can't see all the main photo and have to scroll, mighty annoying!

30D 17-40L 580EXII
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=386249

Packhorse-4
425 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 17, 2007 22:51 |  #6

WebMonkey: Thanks for sharing your knowledge. This was my first year taking pictures at outdoor swim meets and I found myself using the AV mode at f/2.8 most of the time. While I was able to get some really good shots, I like your advice on shooting in manual to keep the camera from doing something drastic if it meters a reflection off of the water.

Some of our swim meets were very long and I am guessing you may need to adjust your metering later in the day.

I also like your trade secret – I promise not to tell :D

I tried to use the flash a few times in the early evening when the shutter speed was getting too slow to freeze the swimmers. I was at the opposite end of the pool while the swimmers were on the block and I decided it would be a good Idea to take a test shot to make sure everything was working as expected… That was a bad idea :oops:

Fortunately, no one jumped the gun and the race started without incident. I was very embarrassed though.  :o

John

My Photos (external link) | My Gear

Phil ­ Light
"manly fragrance,.. involuntarily celibate"
2,218 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 01, 2007 11:09 |  #7

Steve,

I've got to shoot a high school invitational swim meet for a local magazine today. This will be the first swim meet I've ever shot. This post and your gallery answers all the questions I had. Thank you!!! I hope I can get some stuff even half as good as yours.

WebMonkey wrote in post #3940528 (external link)

Don’t use an Extender, to slow. Cuts down the keeper rate

freestyle,

Breast
has to be the easiest of all, they have to come up every stroke, I prefer a side shot but right in line with the swimmer looks good also, low or high both work.

Fly

Back

Samples

Averages

Out Side
Al-Servo
1600th
Iso 400
Burst of 3 to 4 frames

Indoors
Al-Servo
F2.8
320th
Iso 1600
Burst of 3 to 4 frames

Please disregard all opinions in this post
Gear

tbfoto
655 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 01, 2007 16:41 |  #8

Ive been shooting swim meets myself the past couple weeks. If I were you I would use your 80-200 2.8. Most swim areas are dark so I shoot Manual ...iso @ 3200 f2.8 and around 1/320 to 1/400th.

Tom

phocalphobe
906 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 01, 2007 18:25 as a reply to  @ tbfoto's post |  #9

terrific tips there webmonkey, and as others have mentioned, nice gallery.

very nice of you to offer such valuable insight.

i'm a canon gear junkie..........i..... need....help..........​..in buying me more canon gear.:p

Gear List

WebMonkey
157 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 01, 2007 18:33 as a reply to  @ phocalphobe's post |  #10

I would like to thank you all for the nice comments.

Steve
RSM California

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,427 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 03, 2007 11:31 |  #11

the gallery looks like you are shooting outside, not indoors. the indoor lighting at my high school assignments sucks.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Bill ­ Pham
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 03, 2007 11:56 as a reply to  @ hawk911's post |  #12

wow i just saw this post. forgot all about it. but thanks to webmonkey i got some decent shot of my neice at her swim meet. she's happy with them so i guess that whats count.

Bill

winning is fun and second is for loser
I got Mitch hook on wide angle :lol::lol:
Gear list
http://billpham.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

Phil ­ Light
2,218 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 03, 2007 17:13 |  #13

hawk911 wrote in post #4431700 (external link)
the gallery looks like you are shooting outside, not indoors. the indoor lighting at my high school assignments sucks.

I stepped in to shoot my first swim meet Saturday evening and my first though was "You've GOT to be kidding me!" That's the worst lighting I've ever tried to shoot in. Luckily I did manage to get some keepers. I had to shoot at 3200 ISO, 320 sec. That still gave me some dark results. Thank goodness for raw and Noiseware.

Gear

fourthturn
44 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 18, 2008 00:10 as a reply to  @ Phil Light's post |  #14

I've been using the settings discussed in this post with great success, expect in very bright sunlight outdoors, or with light shining in through windows indoors. If I'm in the shade outside or under artificial lighting inside, everything is fine. If I've got a lot of bright sunlight, the pictures all look very washed out. Any suggestions on what setting I should adjust for direct sunlight? The only place I found where I was off of the settings suggested was that metering was partial instead of spot metering. Could this be causing the problem? I'm no expert on all of these setting and how to combine them, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Phil ­ Light
2,218 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 18, 2008 06:11 |  #15

Welcome to the forum! I haven't tried to shoot in the situation you're describing so I'll be anxious to see if anyone has some good advice for you.

Gear

sponsored links

16,109 views & 0 likes for this thread
help shooting swim meet
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.