Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Sep 2007 (Sunday) 13:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will EOS-1Ds Mark III Be Comparable Med Format Digital?

nitekatt2006
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 16, 2007 13:35 |  #1

Since the EOS-1Ds Mark III will be about 22 MP, that is more MP than the older 16MP Kodak back used for Hassy or Mamiya med formats. Will the 1DS capture images as well as digital med format cameras that are used exclusively in fashion and catalog shoots?

Hopefully they will be as good as or comparable to med format digital backs and maybe that could be a $20,000 savings if the quality is there

thanks katt:evil::cool:

Canon 10D and 30D. Tokina 80-200mm Pro 2.8 zoom, Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 2 AB 800

sponsored links
GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,204 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 16, 2007 13:39 |  #2

i think Med format is now 45mb so it would be half as good at resolving detail .
happy to be put right though :)
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

nitekatt2006
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 16, 2007 13:50 |  #3

GyRob wrote in post #3941630 (external link)
i think Med format is now 45mb so it would be half as good at resolving detail .
happy to be put right though :)
Rob.

Yeah, I remember the Hassy 39 MP a few years back. But of course there are backs in between 16-45MP and I imagine med format backs will keep growing. 22MP is still a large amount of info to capture. And of course the larger the file, the more HD space, RAM, and faster processor is needed to tweak RAW files. One client sent over 135 RAW 5D images for me to tweak and archive and it took my iBook G4 about 20 minutes of "listing" before I could open

I think I read an article in Popular Science that eventually we will be seeing 200MP cameras. Imagine opening up 100 200MP RAW files, definitely need a Cray super computer and Photoshop CS 25 version haha, and the patience of Job

And I shoot a lot of jewelry with a 30D and I showed some RAW files to a journeyman pre-press guy I know and he said he could make IRIS prints up to 18x24 and does it all the time. The quality his shop can get even from 8-10 RAW MP can be really fine

I think what I would like to find out is, could the 1Ds be enough resolution for high end press and magazines like Vogue and be almost comparable to med format

thanks katt:cool:

Canon 10D and 30D. Tokina 80-200mm Pro 2.8 zoom, Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 2 AB 800

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 16, 2007 14:39 |  #4

simply put, no matter how many mp you add to a 35mm sensor, it will never be comparable. the sensor size makes just as much difference as the MP count. the narrow DOF from a medium format will be lost to a 1ds (like 1.6 crop to ff, or 1/2.5" to a 1.6 crop)

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

voka_gsw
58 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 16, 2007 21:26 |  #5

nitekatt2006 wrote in post #3941607 (external link)
Will the 1DS capture images as well as digital med format cameras that are used exclusively in fashion and catalog shoots?

No.

Let me ask you this - can a 8mp compact camera capture images as good as 30D ? :D

sboerup
841 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 16, 2007 22:16 |  #6

Its not about MP, its about file quality. I would doubt that many people on this forum have every processed or even shot with a MF back, but you can get samples all around. 22mp seems to be the norm as you don't need much more than that. 39mp seems to be overkill for me, honestly, what do you need it for? My 1Ds2 is more than plenty, 12mp seems to be the sweetspot for me. Get me a 5D with the same sensor, double the dynamic range and sensor quality and I'll be set for life.

themoon
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 16, 2007 22:50 |  #7

basroil wrote in post #3941954 (external link)
the narrow DOF from a medium format will be lost to a 1ds (like 1.6 crop to ff, or 1/2.5" to a 1.6 crop)

can someone explain this to me? 1.6 crop has more DOF or is it FF?

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 16, 2007 23:50 |  #8

the smaller the sensor the wider the lens needs to be to get the same framing at a certain distance. the wider the lens is, the more DOF it will have, but also the more diffraction it will encounter at a given f-stop (assuming the same flange back). with a medium format camera, you can shoot f8 (nice and sharp), and still have massive oof sections

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 17, 2007 00:35 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I agree with basroil - the 1Ds Mark III will potentially not be as good as a medium format camera with a digital back, no matter what marketing hype Canon might try to use. Note that I'm referring to IQ. If the sensor is well made, and low in noise (typically for that sensor type), then overall, the noise will probably be lower than Canon's FF sensors due to pixel size. Then you have DOF limitations, the circle of confusion etc, both of which will be greater with a 35mm sensor as far a I understand.

Dave

http://www.macro-images.com/ (external link)

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 17, 2007 01:52 |  #10

basroil wrote in post #3945264 (external link)
the smaller the sensor the wider the lens needs to be to get the same framing at a certain distance. the wider the lens is, the more DOF it will have, but also the more diffraction it will encounter at a given f-stop (assuming the same flange back). with a medium format camera, you can shoot f8 (nice and sharp), and still have massive oof sections

But, if your use the same lens on say a 5D and a 20D with a fixed aperture and focus distance the 5D has more DOF. So this is counter to what you just wrote. The larger the sensor the more DOF.

sponsored links

1,870 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will EOS-1Ds Mark III Be Comparable Med Format Digital?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.