Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Sep 2007 (Wednesday) 01:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

In need of some new lighting!

Connor ­ P ­ Price
477 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 19, 2007 01:04 |  #1

My 220ex just isn't doing it anymore, its great for fill flash, its very helpful on camera when I've got reasonably good natural lighting to begin with. So I'm looking to upgrade soon and I'd like to get started with a basic strobist thing. I'll be getting an ABR800 within the next few months but in the meantime I'm looking for something cheaper and more portable.
Currently considering:

Sigma 500 DG Super (external link)
Sunpak 383 (external link) and wein optical slave (external link)
Sunpak 433 (external link) and wein optical slave (external link)

I'll be using whatever flash i get off camera triggered by my 220 on camera most often. Im leaning towards the sunpaks as they are cheaper, but if it would be enough of a benefit I'd suck up the cost of the sigma, are there any others i should be looking at? which flash would you all choose?

Rebel xt w/ bg-e3 grip, 70-200 f/4L, Canon 50 f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, speedlight 220ex, currently accepting donations for ABR800. ;)

sponsored links
Lotto
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 19, 2007 02:07 |  #2

You know the 220EX's preflash would fool the optical slave, right?

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

Connor ­ P ­ Price
THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 19, 2007 02:13 |  #3

Of course i would forget about that stupid preflash.

How about selling the 220ex and picking up a sunpak 433 for on camera use. And getting the sunpak 383 with optical slave unit to fire off camera?

Rebel xt w/ bg-e3 grip, 70-200 f/4L, Canon 50 f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, speedlight 220ex, currently accepting donations for ABR800. ;)

Lotto
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 19, 2007 02:50 |  #4

I have a Sunpak 383, but don't know much about the 433. I look at B&H, there's a 433 AF for Canon, which is a TTL dedicated flash with no manual adjustment, don't know if it would work on the XT. Then there's a 433D, from what I can remember, the D is very similar to the 383.

I don't like to use my 383 as the on camera flash: 1) no focus assist, 2)limited auto flash setting choices (only 3 apertures).

Sorry keep throwing curl balls at you. If you looking for a 220EX replacement, I would take the Sigma out of those 3 listed.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

Connor ­ P ­ Price
THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 19, 2007 03:04 |  #5

Thanks for the input Lotto, i really appreciate it. The 383 is looking like quite a formidable little performer and the more i look around the more i think i may just be getting rid of the 220 in favor of two 383's and a optical slave unit. Having never used off camera flash im not entirely sure how this will all work out but i suppose having a 383 dialed down on camera and one at full power off camera could make for some nicely lit portraits. However your not the first person i've heard not liking the 383 on camera, is there another flash i should look at that i could have relatively cheap?

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 19, 2007 08:45 |  #6

If you are planning on using the Sunpak 433AF off camera in true strobist style, then the 433AF type NE (Nikon) is a better choice as you can manually adjust power from full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16. Much more useful than the Canon type which only operates at full power in manual mode. I have one and it's a great flash.

Oh, also I have one of those Wein optical slave thingamabobs...they are a forty dollar piece of junk.

Sunpak 433AF Nikon (external link)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

sponsored links

1,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
In need of some new lighting!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.