Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 19 Sep 2007 (Wednesday) 17:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do???

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 19, 2007 17:03 |  #1

Here is my situation:

I shot a wedding and the flower vendor wants about 20 soft copies of my pics which she saw on line. She says she will put a link to my site on her site.

What would you do?

1. give them to her free.
2. give them to her at a discount
3. have her buy them from the internet
4. something totally different....

I wish I knew how to set up an opinion poll but this will have to do...

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
restech
257 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 19, 2007 17:07 |  #2

Give them for free as long as they credit the pictures to you for the Internet use only.
If they want to make the pictures for brochure or any printing, I would ask for some fee.

Seattle wedding photography (external link)

Karena
523 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 19, 2007 17:08 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

How reputable is she? Does she have her own store front? Is the a popular florist?

If she's not new and just starting out and has a good amount of business established for herself, find out where on here site she will link to you and will you be the only photographer linked on her site.

If she says yes that you'll be the only one and she'll link you in an easily visible spot, give them to her for free. :-)

slava-slavik
241 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 19, 2007 17:18 |  #4

I would give files for free. Some wedding photographers bring complimentary prints or even small albums to the other vendors anticipated on a wedding.

---
Slava Slavik

Slava Slavik, wedding and portrait photographer
Honolulu, HI
Slava Slavik Photography (external link)

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Sep 19, 2007 17:19 |  #5

personally i would give them to her for free. because that could possibly generate more business for you.
i would do it. but thats just me.

shannon

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 19, 2007 18:02 |  #6

I would give them the images, and I don't watermark them so long as the provide a good visible link to my website.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sblais
I am silly
3,532 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 19, 2007 19:25 |  #7

I think we have reached a consensus. It happened to me before: a florist wanted both soft and hard copies. I gave her the soft copies free of charge, as long as I had a link back to my site and gave her a cheap price for the hard copies.

I believe that we should help each other in this business. Well, maybe with the exception of the competition! :p

Sebastien
| Gear List |

There are no great men, only great challenges that ordinary men are forced by circumstances to meet. -- Admiral William Halsey

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 19, 2007 19:42 |  #8

Oh, I have an ongoing arrangement with a local jeweler - they can have as many prints as they like from couples who wear their rings, I put a small watermark on them, and they refer customers to me. I just got a referral from them on the weekend. I'll also send them a gift basket or something from time to time.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 19, 2007 19:47 |  #9

Thanks for the input everyone. I will go with the concensus.

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

notapro
Goldmember
2,540 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 19, 2007 20:47 |  #10

I'd stop around with the CD and also drop off some business cards and/or brochures while there.

Amanda

Ontario Wedding Photographer  (external link)| My Blog (external link)

Banbert
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 20, 2007 02:32 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

We always give other suupliers/vendors at the wedding free copies of our photos and also try and mention them on our blog if we thought they were good and enjoyed working with them, we dont ask for anything in return but they usually take cards from us and hopefully mention us favourably to their clients ..... "your network is your net worth" ... according to someone who's name escapes me at the moment.

Warwickshire Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | My wedding Photography Videos (external link)
Warwickshire Wedding Info (external link) | My Apple Magic Blog (external link)
30D x 3 + grips / EF-S 10-22mm / EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS /EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS / EF 100mm Macro / Sigma 30mm F1.4 / 580EX / 430EX / 33GB CF Cards / 2 PC'S + laptop / CS2 / HP 1220C / Canon CP-710 / Graphire4 Classic XL Manfroto Tripod & Joystick Head / Mac Book Pro

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 20, 2007 02:42 |  #12

UH No, No freebies. freebies just do not work. If she wants the images she can pony up the dough. Business to business is still business. Freebies are charity, hoping that you will get business. A better idea is to "rent" some desk or counter space from her place an album with good contact info and kick her a finders fee. If she wants to promote your business then let her get paid to do so, the same for you. But the images should be paid for and uage agreed upon in writing. That way if she never uses you again, goes out of business or has a prefered photographer you still get paid.

I am not sure why so many of you don't get it, but freebies rarely pay off. Business people respect your work most when they understand that is going to have a VALUE. Free is not a value. Discounts? Sure. Finders fee or referals, you bet. Get it in writing on your letterhead and she will respect your work and your business practices.

If not then you are just another GWC.

Les

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 20, 2007 03:02 |  #13

What's GWC? The couple I met tonight, who will most likely book, came to me from a vendor who I gave some free prints too.

sando
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 20, 2007 03:37 |  #14

Depends,

I would be inclined to do it for free, but as a better idea, I'd offer to spend an hour with her and do some shots of other flower arrangments they do. I'd then offer soft copies with a watermark, and if she wanted them without the watermark I'd offer them at a price. Obviously clear this with them first.

- Matt

th3r0m
778 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 20, 2007 04:19 |  #15

tim wrote in post #3969153 (external link)
What's GWC? The couple I met tonight, who will most likely book, came to me from a vendor who I gave some free prints too.

Googled it as I was unfamiliar with it as well. Google is my friend :)

Model Mayhem defines it as :
GWC (external link) is an acronym for "Guy With Camera." It's a derogatory term for amateur photographer that's taken the interweb by storm. It usually implies that said guy is only interested in photography to get hot ladies to get nekkid for him.

Ben

sponsored links

1,906 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do???
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.