Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 20 Sep 2007 (Thursday) 04:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moonrise over my city!

this thread is locked
fordmondeo
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 20, 2007 13:55 |  #16

Learn & Grow wrote in post #3971897 (external link)
I understand your desire to learn. However, your choice of word (i.e., doctoring) is a direct accusation instead of an effort to seek the process.

Stay well and keep sharing.

Is that a quote from Star Wars?

Vaginator9000

sponsored links
sadowsk2
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 20, 2007 14:04 as a reply to  @ post 3972016 |  #17

Its a cool shot indeed, but it seems the moon is disproportionately big to the skyline...

1D Mk IV, 5D Gripped, 30D
35L | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L |16-35L | 24-70L |[COLOR=black] 24-105L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 100-400L | 15mm fisheye | 580EX II x2 | 430EX

Canon S3IS

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,441 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 20, 2007 14:10 |  #18

Beautiful capture......

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Quarantine
975 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2007 14:21 |  #19

excellent shot

Gum6y
123 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 20, 2007 15:49 |  #20

The sky is very black, I am now curious also, is it photoshoped or not? The moon looks very large for the skyline.

Canon 400D, Canon 70-200mm F4 IS, Canon 24-70mm, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 580 Ex II Flash, Manfrotto 190MF4 and 685B Monopod, Lowepro Compu Trekker AW
Next purchase Canon 50D and Canon 100-400mm
http://www.mazurenlimi​ted.com (external link)

JimT
59 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 20, 2007 16:06 |  #21

helluva telephoto to get the moon that size....what lens were you using? exposure time?

it's a beautiful shot. :)

JT

JimT
59 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 20, 2007 16:10 |  #22

he said he used a polarizer....that would eliminate the glare and darken the sky....just compensate for it being darker with a longer exposure that removes what everybody says makes it look photoshopped.

sounds like a cool tip! :)

Milkbone73
32 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 20, 2007 16:21 |  #23

With the exception of the tip of the big building and a little bit of the building on it's right, the reflection is a perfect pixel for pixel reflection along one perfect horizontal line in the image. All the lights in the top match up to the exact pixel position to their reflection on the bottom.

deletedpenguin
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 20, 2007 16:44 |  #24

If this isn't photoshopped, it's a near perfect exposure.

Stefan | StefanPetersen.com.au (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)

mdwsta4
266 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 20, 2007 16:51 as a reply to  @ deletedpenguin's post |  #25

i think it's a great shot, but i can't help but wonder about the moon as well. aside from the size which i can imagine, and can understand the reflection with a polarizer, but the fact that the moon (which is brighter in general) and the skyline (which is darker in general) are both exposed perfectly makes me think maybe they're two images stacked on top of each other? typical moon shots to capture that detail are taken around 1/125, where a city scape could be taken anywhere from 10+ seconds.
not accusing, and it's a good capture regardless, just sayin.

-Matt flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, F1, QL17, 17-40 f4L, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, 50 f1.4
Fujifilm x100s, TCL, X-Pro 1, 35 f1.4, 18 f2.0
Leica M9, M2, MP, 50 Summicron, Voigtlander 35 f1.4, 5cm Summarit
Hasselblad 500 C/M, Zeiss 150 f4, 80 f2.8

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 20, 2007 17:17 |  #26

I like it. Well done!

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 20, 2007 17:25 |  #27

JimT wrote in post #3972961 (external link)
he said he used a polarizer....that would eliminate the glare and darken the sky....just compensate for it being darker with a longer exposure that removes what everybody says makes it look photoshopped.

sounds like a cool tip! :)

But polarisers only darken the sky when the sun is in the sky, and it's at 90 degrees, don't they?

I agree this looks odd because to get the moon this large you would need a long telephoto and the buildings are not consistent with this.

Before the OP gets defensive and paranoid again, this is not a personal attack or an insult, just a comment.

All that aside, I'd like to see the image with a slightly bluer sky.

Photos from Iceland (external link) | London (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon 24-70mm f/4L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 20, 2007 17:47 |  #28

Wonderful image.

There was a lunar eclipse last month which would bring down the brightness of the moon a great deal (and the color of the moon here is consistent with that) and might explain why the reflection isn't there.

Here is an image I found of an eclipsed moon rising over a city:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nas​a.gov/apod/ap020130.ht​ml (external link)
Edit: This doesn't appear to have been taken during an eclipse, but lots of gunk in the atmosphere can produce the orange color as well.

It's a bit hard to judge but the size of the moon in the OP may be a bit big compared to the buildings but is not unreasonably so, IMO. I am a bit perplexed by the perfect building reflections (except for the one tiny wavy bit). I do not think that manipulations distract from an image but can produce slices of what reality should be. No need to get defensive if you fix the moon to be the proper size or make the reflections what they should have been.

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2007 17:59 |  #29

curiousgeorge wrote in post #3973465 (external link)
But polarisers only darken the sky when the sun is in the sky, and it's at 90 degrees, don't they?

I agree this looks odd because to get the moon this large you would need a long telephoto and the buildings are not consistent with this.

Before the OP gets defensive and paranoid again, this is not a personal attack or an insult, just a comment.

All that aside, I'd like to see the image with a slightly bluer sky.

George a polarizer simply masks light that is coming from a "different" angle than it is adjusted to. So, yes, it work with reflections from water among other things, like the sky. It depends on the angle of the light beams.

The moon always looks much bigger when it is near the horizon.

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2007 18:04 |  #30

Here one somewhat similar:

http://www.danheller.c​om …/Slideshow/img4​.html#img8 (external link)

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

sponsored links

5,446 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moonrise over my city!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.