Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Sep 2007 (Friday) 13:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High resolution pricing

noxcuses1
890 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 21, 2007 13:33 |  #1

Hello all, I'm new to post, but have been reading this forum for a while now.

My question is: I shoot concert photography. I have a family member of one of the musicians I shot who is interested in purchasing ALL of the high resolution images. I have about 75 of them. I was asked how much for every image. The pics would be used only for personal use to print for other family members.

What I'm wondering is- How much should I charge for each image?

Any suggestions?:rolleyes:

sponsored links
sonshine_rae
511 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 21, 2007 14:06 |  #2

Break it down .. .. how much time did/will it take to process each image, how much time did it take to do the photographs.. decide on a hourly wage and figure that into the time estimates to come up with your figures.

It would be wise to 'license' them the images if you really do sell them the high res photos, so that they can only do as they say and print for personal/family usage. And would need to return to you (legally) to print them for any other purposes.

~Rae~

*Hoping to recapture the joy of photography, whilst living in chaos ..* Gear List: Canon 5d Classic, Canon 7d Classic, Canon Rebel XSI, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens; Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 di vc USD, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM lens, Canon 85 1.8 lens; Sigma 100-300mm f/4.5-6.7 DL lens, Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash, Panasonic DMC FZ200 Optical Zoom 35mm equiv. 24-600mm.

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 21, 2007 14:17 |  #3

What were your costs + your costs to deliver them + what your time is worth (hourly) = total price,

devide that by 75 if they want a per price cost...

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

noxcuses1
THREAD ­ STARTER
890 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 21, 2007 14:41 |  #4

So there's no flat price average?

I don't know how long I spent, it was shot between 2 shows.

sonshine_rae
511 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 21, 2007 15:01 |  #5

The difficulty always comes that different countries, and different parts of each country have different pricing averages .. and it all depends on quality and time spent as well.

So I'm afraid we can't give you a specific price to use .. you can try to find similar images for sale in your area and average that.. plus what you think/know your worth to come up with your own price.

It's always a difficult thing to do pricing when your first starting to sell though.

~Rae~

*Hoping to recapture the joy of photography, whilst living in chaos ..* Gear List: Canon 5d Classic, Canon 7d Classic, Canon Rebel XSI, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens; Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 di vc USD, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM lens, Canon 85 1.8 lens; Sigma 100-300mm f/4.5-6.7 DL lens, Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash, Panasonic DMC FZ200 Optical Zoom 35mm equiv. 24-600mm.

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 22, 2007 02:39 |  #6

75 high res images, i charge $45 per image usually, for all 75 i would go to 50% off so say $20 each but only if they bought a maximum of 50 any less its $45 each remember you are loosing the potential prints from that for me that would only be 10 18x12 prints for $1500 so they can then go and get them all done and you dont have the print money.

ichael ... (external link)
vettas media (external link) (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooter (external link) (my sportsshooter member page)

lnterestlng
393 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 23, 2007 23:45 |  #7

sell prints not files. especially if all they want to do is print them for family. Use an online printing service and print for them. Make the money you deserve.

symes
Goldmember
3,372 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 24, 2007 10:05 |  #8

I sell files at $150.00 a piece...this usually leads them back to buying prints, but when they do buy the file it is also nice for me...

Cheers,

Symes
Symplicity Photography (external link) Symplicity Glamour (external link)
5D Mark II; 1D Mark II; 17-40L; 24-70 2.8L; 70-200 IS 2.8L

noxcuses1
THREAD ­ STARTER
890 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 26, 2007 10:17 |  #9

wow, that's alot per image. I'm not complaining though. Thanks for all this helpful info!

I think I always doubt myself, and start to feel bad for the customer. Then stupid me, I start to do extra for them and always short change myself.

Thanks again for your input! Very much appreciated.

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,042 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2007 10:23 |  #10

Can't see where you are, but here's my feeble rate here --

Per shooter, $125/hr, travel time counts
CD-ROM: $250, personal use only, single event

Your real problem may be what else they use it for. Local band here pulled the personal-use but then it is in promo items trick. They claim stupidity, but were smart enough to know to ask about personal use only pricing. Be positive, this is good, but skeptical about delivering files.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Kalaidecam
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2014

Nov 20, 2014 17:17 |  #11

What is consider "high resolution" and "low resolution?"

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 20, 2014 19:15 |  #12

Kalaidecam wrote in post #17284210 (external link)
What is consider "high resolution" and "low resolution?"

For my business high resolution is 4200 pixels on the long edge, low resolution is 2048 pixels on the long edge.

Peter

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,535 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 20, 2014 19:23 |  #13

lnterestlng wrote in post #3994191 (external link)
sell prints not files. especially if all they want to do is print them for family. Use an online printing service and print for them. Make the money you deserve.

Most people now days don't want print, but want the digital files so they can not only print them, but send them to Auntie Anne half way across the globe via an e-mail.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,701 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Nov 20, 2014 20:24 |  #14

I charge $40 per image, but I do usually cap it off at $500 and when they want more I just throw them in for free. 90% of the time they just want 10 or less though, I usually only shoot 20-30 per band then just post the 8ish best shots

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

rgs
Goldmember
2,267 posts
Gallery: 133 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 25, 2014 18:19 |  #15

I think this depends on how much you have already made and how much you can reasonably expect to lose in print sales. When I photograph class reunions, I now sell digital files on a DVD as well as prints. I usually make more on the DVDs than I do on prints but that is additional income compared to when I sold only prints. My DVDs are only $50 and usually contain about 100 images. If I didn't sell the DVD, I would probably sell 2 or 3 prints to the customer for about $30-$40 (8x10 groups and 5x7 candids) so the DVDs have increased my sales and involved less time and less expense to produce.

I know photographers who still sell prints at a high mark-up and I know photographers who sell digital and prints at near wholesale after getting well paid for their time in photographing an event. You just have to consider what you will actually sell -not what you would theoretically like to sell - and figure out what pays you best.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links

7,596 views & 1 like for this thread
High resolution pricing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.