Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 25 Sep 2007 (Tuesday) 09:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

i got published in today's Boston Globe!

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,664 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 25, 2007 09:54 |  #1

the good news: :)

i got a photo published in today's Boston Globe (print and web)

the bad news: :(

i didn't get credited or paid

last January i shot Mission of Burma @ the Paradise, and in exchange for an autographed CD i gave 'em some jpgs to put on their myspace page. i guess they passed one of these on to the Globe, who ran it in today's (Tues) edition. The ironic thing is that i'd contacted them about shooting this ICA show, but they said that guest list spots were very tight and they couldn't swing it.

http://www.boston.com/​ae/music/ (external link)
http://www.boston.com …her_playing_a_b​ar_or_ica/ (external link)

the photo on my site:

http://narlus.zenfolio​.com …photo=h2E59B484​#777630852 (external link)

maybe i should change my name to 'File Photo'

i've got an email into Clint to see what's up...

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

sponsored links
johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 25, 2007 10:05 |  #2

Congrats on your great pic... Maybe we should watermark all of our stuff?

Since they consider it a "File Photo"... The Globe should do a correction in an upcoming issue and give you credit for the error... Contact them... and send a copy by Email... I'd ask them for a photog. job deal, while at it too.

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

Photodawg1
Goldmember
3,059 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 25, 2007 10:23 |  #3

That sucks. I just had something similar happen to me. Glad I learned it on this end.

http://www.lindasiadys​.com (external link)

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,664 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 25, 2007 10:28 |  #4

john, i just got off the phone w/ the globe, and will be working through their channels.

gear list

thelightofsound
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 25, 2007 10:28 as a reply to  @ Photodawg1's post |  #5

john give good advise in that you need to contact them and tell them it is your photo. that you would like credit on it, AND since they like your photography so much, you would like credentials for an upcoming show.

--atlanta photographer michael saba (external link) - music photography (external link)

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 25, 2007 10:40 as a reply to  @ johnstoy's post |  #6

This has happened to me before, more than once. I give the photos to a band for little or nothing, and then the local paper (not the Boston Globe, but a decent sized paper) gets a hold of the photos without bothering to see if there is a credit reference. It even happened once when I gave the photos directly to the paper saying they could use the photos for free and giving them my contact info. They still listed the images as 'file photo'. One of them was a 1/2 page image, so it's not like they were just on a sidebar or something. I guess I have to spell it out for them. It's odd because I've never really had this problem with any of the other publications I've dealt with. Sure, some of the responsibility lies with the band to make sure that your credit is passed along, but just by browsing through the paper it seems (at least with my local paper) that they put out very little effort to give credit to photographers that are not on the paper's staff. Anyway...seeing as how newspapers are essentially dead media, I see them as more of a charity case than a business...so whatever! :p

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Road2Show
198 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 25, 2007 11:16 |  #7

Congrats on the publish! Just use it now to leverage into some $$. I've also found that it's pretty rare to get credited correctly when photos are given to a publication from the subject. (the band, managers, venue, whatever) It's usually listed with a credit from the source organization. I did some press release photos recently, and they have been running in several pubs and their respective websites. Mostly credited to the company sending the press release. One of them would have been cool to get the right credit though, because it ran full color about 12" x 11" on the front page of the section!

The one thing I try to remember is that credits don't really matter that much. Credits don't pay the bills. If I have a check in-hand, call me "file photo" or "courtesy of" or johnny appleseed...whatever. :)

Mike

-Mike
Want to take better pictures? Stand in front of more interesting subjects! ...Joe McNally

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 25, 2007 11:20 |  #8

thelightofsound wrote in post #4003833 (external link)
john give good advise in that you need to contact them and tell them it is your photo. that you would like credit on it, AND since they like your photography so much, you would like credentials for an upcoming show.

Agree. And / or send a bill.

Not that it's very likely to work IMO: I've had that happen about five times, (3 different images, two different (free) magazines). One of the mags didn't even bother to reply to an email I sent, the other said something in the lines of "we're sorry, we didn't know. We'll take note, so it won't happen again, but we won't do a rectification."

At that time I was thinking about maybe wanting to work with them, so I didn't actually make much work of it, but I do watermark *everything* that goes online since then.

Was there any EXIF/IPTC in the images? If a file is marked "copyrighted" in PS, I'ld assume even an editor might catch the drift ;)

Road2Show wrote in post #4004092 (external link)
The one thing I try to remember is that credits don't really matter that much.

Don't agree there. The credit does get you noted, so while it won't pay this bill, it might pay the next months..

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,664 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 25, 2007 11:53 |  #9

all good points here. definitely a lessons-learned for me (one of the 1st things i now do in my workflow is attach IPTC copyright info...hadn't done it for that batch of photos).

here's the paper's response:

It is my understanding that the band granted permission to use this photo from their myspace page. I would think you would want to have a conversation with the band and make certain that you discuss useage rights and at the very least that when they grant permission for use, they at least insist upon a credit for the photograph.

Unfortunately, we, at The Globe, have no way of knowing the origin of a
photo or use restrictions when a subject provides a photo to us. There is
also no electronic trail attached to the photo.

I can ask that we run a clarification in tomorrow's paper, but it's not
usually something that we do as a rule. I'll see what I can do.

I apologize for the confusion, but if I were you, I would clarify the use
of those photos with your subject. They may be making them available to
more than just the Globe.

gear list

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 25, 2007 11:56 |  #10

Congratulations!

Or, since you'll get paid backwards, "Snoitalutargnoc" on being published again!

;)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 25, 2007 11:58 |  #11

One word: Digimarc. 'enough said.

You're lucky you even found it.

Ah, and bill 'em. You may be surprised by their reaction.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 25, 2007 15:11 |  #12

You gave them JPGs... not a copyright. ;)

You should pursue compensation for this. ;)

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 25, 2007 17:06 |  #13

If, with this photo, you have established a reasonable contact at the Globe... Consider a follow up letter regarding your work... Let them know who you regularly get photos of, and see if they would be interested in considering an occasional article with a couple of photos from you... There might be room for a contributing independent contract on their staff...

After all, you clearly shoot more shows than anyone we know of... They might want to expand their readership, by featuring an occasional story from your experience...

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 25, 2007 17:34 |  #14

Congrats on being published but it's a pity it happened the way it did.

I had a similar situation occur a few months back. I got an email from a friend saying your photo of xxx in yyy magazine looks great. I said what photo? I called the editor to ask where they had got the photo from - it was from the artist's publicist (I had sent her some lo-res proof shots as a courtesy). The editor was very apologetic and insisted on paying me for the shot - even though I wasn't seeking payment at that point, just wanting to find out how they got the photo.

Black Shadow Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link) Twitter (external link)
Gear List Myspace (external link)

Valerie ­ S
124 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2007 02:07 |  #15

Narlus, there's a way of putting all of the IPTC and copyright info in the files even when using Bridge and CS3. It works with jpegs. I can do a walk through if anyone is interested.

That really sucks. However, as John mentions, if you can maintain the Globe contact, this might work out OK.

my stuffz

sponsored links

7,119 views & 0 likes for this thread
i got published in today's Boston Globe!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.