Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 25 Sep 2007 (Tuesday) 09:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

i got published in today's Boston Globe!

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,666 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 24, 2009 11:30 |  #61

i'm sure i'll get the same response as last time - that the band gave the photos to them, and they had assumed the license extended appropriately. i did send an invoice last time and got nothing out of it. i suppose i can do the same; i did send an email.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 24, 2009 12:15 |  #62

They can assume all they want. Ultimately, it's their responsibility to check.

All depends on the relationship you want to maintain with them off course.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

skifurthur
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 24, 2009 15:53 |  #63

The simple answer is that The Boston Globe owes you compensation. If you have registered your images they owe you a lot, lot more. I would take legal action unless...

You didn't want to sour a relationship with The Boston Globe or the band.

Chances are the newspaper is going to play dumb and imply that you might not get work that you probably wouldn't be getting anyway. You are a known quantity around Boston already, so if they were a knockin' they would have already found your door. The paper might scream to the band and the band might stop you from shooting them again. Is that going to cause you a problem?

www.amsaddler.com (external link)
Capturing the passion of performance

The "simple and sweet" equipment list: 40D, 7D, 300 f/2.8 IS L, 200mm f/2.0 IS L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MkII, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon 1.4 extender

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 24, 2009 16:56 |  #64

As Rene says, it is their responsibility and they do know better regardless of what they say. OTOH, they aren't likely to pay you anyway unless you sue them and if the images are registered with the LOC that could be tough. And, you may wish not to sour your relationship with them. There are no easy answers.

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 24, 2009 17:04 |  #65

Do you know where they got your photo from?

Did you explain to the band about usage rights after the last time this happened?

Black Shadow Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link) Twitter (external link)
Gear List Myspace (external link)

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,666 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 24, 2009 18:11 |  #66

i gave the band a bunch of photos in early '07 for use on myspace, when i was young and naive. i know that in '07 the globe got the photo they ran from the band, but wasn't clear that they may have given more photos at that time. or, the band gave the globe another photo when requested, for this instance.

i know i didn't make usage clear enough from the first time, so since it's the same batch of shots i don't pin blame on the band. but the globe should at least figure out credits, no?

i've not registered any photos i've taken, btw

gear list

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 24, 2009 18:23 |  #67

Much as it sucks you are probably going to have to wear this one as experience.

I'd also be speaking to the band to make sure this situation doesn't arise again.

I'm sure the paper will argue that they were given the photos by the band for publication - it would be normal for the paper to assume that as the band has given them the photos for publication the band are authorised to do so.

The way I see it is it's not really the newspaper's fault - the responsibility lies with the band.

narlus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,666 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 24, 2009 18:35 |  #68

the story i got the first time from the band is that the paper should have credited me...i doubt the story is gonna be different this time.

gear list

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 24, 2009 18:46 |  #69

I think the first thing I would be doing if I were in your shoes Tim is to revoke any license for use by the band immediately and if they want any further usage rights they should sit down and negotiate them with you.

If they are using your live shots in Boston after more than 12 months, you'd have to wonder where else they have been using your shots.

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 24, 2009 21:15 |  #70

That's a real bummer. One of my contacts works for the Globe - he's the Assistant Art Director, whatever that implies. Let me know if you want me to hook you up with him but I have a feeling that pursuing this is only going to get you more frustrated.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

Compact ­ Diss
Goldmember
1,432 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 24, 2009 22:46 |  #71

First tell that joker who works for a newspaper to use spellcheck "useage".

Second, Globe just did lay-offs right? I doubt you will see anything from this.

I have also had this happen to me, but pics of fighters. One was a small publication in NH who featured a story on a fighter, my photos. I contacted the paper. The fighter, when asked about the pics, and permission to use before the story went to print replied "yeah, he's my guy" implying to them that I worked for him...they ran a correction the next week, and went so far as to include links to my site, and a small blurb about my concert & MMA work.

I would be pissed at the Globe's reaction, I would pursue to have the credit corrected, best of luck my friend.

Boston Street Photographyexternal link
Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 25, 2009 14:28 |  #72

I've not read the entire thread but.....

It comes down to this;

You "gave" the images to the band, on "some" level this transfers at least a portion of the "usage" rights. Since you did not make it clear to them they could not use them....which if when you asked for the pass to shoot them had you told them you would not let them use the images without credit or compensation then most likely they would have politely said no on the credentials. I'm certain there was no intent of the band or the publication to "defraud" you of anything. If you had told the band and the publication you wanted compensation then they probably would have chosen a different route to get images of the band.

When a "subject" supplies images for a story the publisher does make some basic assumptions that they, the subject, has the right to give them the images.

We get images quite often for stories we run in the magazine, if the subject providing the images does not give the editor a specific person to credit the image to then it is simply "image provided by subject".

So be proud everyone thought your image was good enough to publish, send a polite note to the band that in the future please have all publications contact you for images usage and rights.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 25, 2009 14:32 |  #73

Well I went back and looked at the rest of the thread.

I'm betting they forgot about the first image/issue.

Contact the paper as for the publisher and or the editor, I'd ask them why this seems to be consistent issue of them using your images, again it could be the bands fault because they think the "own" the images since you gave them to them.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links

7,211 views & 0 likes for this thread
i got published in today's Boston Globe!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.