Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Sep 2007 (Tuesday) 22:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official Crumpler Bag Review Thread

badgerW
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 25, 2009 14:24 |  #511

Wummy wrote in post #8173010 (external link)
Hi Everyone - Can somebody please tell me if I should get 6 MDH or 7 Million please.. I currently have:

XSi Gripped
17-40L
18-200mm
Sigma 50mm
430 EXII
some batteries and memories card etc. I went to the store and tried 6 MDH and everythign fits. But I'm hoping to grow my gear to:

50D gripped
17-40L
24-105L
70-200L
Sigma 50 1.4
430EXII

should I get 6 MDH or 7 MDH? thanks in Advance.

Depends whether you want your 70-200 to be an f/4 or an f/2.8. In my 6MDH (older version) I can fit pretty much the same gear (non-gripped 5D, but I have an extra 100 Macro on top of what you listed, and my 50mm is the Canon which is smaller than the Sigma, but overall things should even out). I would not be able to bump up to the 70-200 f/2.8 however. There just isn't any more room. I will have to get a 7MDH if I get a 70-200/2.8 and still want to carry the same amount of gear.

See here for how I fit my gear into the 6MDH, it will give you an idea:

http://www.flickr.com …w/sets/72157617​850778332/ (external link)

Gear

sponsored links
Wummy
490 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 25, 2009 15:37 |  #512

Thank you Badger - this helps. probably can't afford f2.8 70-200 anytime soon, so will either do f4 only (either IS or non). I think I'll go w/ the 6MDH w/ your recommendation.

Gear List
http://ishot.ca (external link)

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 25, 2009 20:34 |  #513

7MDH is smaller than I thought it would be, not that it's a bad thing. Just it looked a lot bigger on people.

Gear List
ACCD

PhatheadWRX
391 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 29, 2009 14:03 |  #514

Ok crumpler pros, I've never really considered these bags until recently. Trying to decide what size (maybe 7MDH) I would need. My canon backpack fits everthing now, but its getting very full and not the easiest to work out of.

I'm wondering how much storage is in the front/side pocket(s)? Also I have read that the large mesh pocket on the 7MDH isn't the best.

What it needs to hold:
Always
40D
50 1.4
Sigma 10-20
Tamron 28-75
70-300 (would it fit with hood on? hood on + 40D? hood reversed + 40D?)
430EX
Two chargers, spare batteries
Flash cord
Shutter release

Sometimes
100 macro
18-55 IS
SB-26 + flash triggers (plus 430EX)

Also how well would things fit if I replaced the 70-300 with a 70-200 f4 IS (would hood reversed + 40D work?) and the 28-75 with a 24-70L?

Thanks for your thoughts...

frenchbrownphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - stomping ground (external link)
Canon 40D
Sigma 10-20, Canon 18-55 IS, Tammy 28-75, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-300 IS USM
Canon 430EX, Nikon SB-26

jcothron
Goldmember
3,793 posts
Gallery: 398 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 29, 2009 14:15 |  #515

You can get all of the Always in, with either the 70-200 or the 70-300 mounted in the middle (hood reversed). You'll also have room on one side for possibly the 100 macro and 18-55 stacked. Not sure about the Sb-26...

I'm not a fan of the large mesh pocket. In fact, I'm not a fan of the Crumpler pockets at all.. that's the one shortcoming I've found with this bag.

It's relatively comfortable, easy to shoot out of.. but the storage of extra items lacks in my opinion. The lid pocket is big dimensionally but you're not going to put a huge amount in it or it will affect the way the lid closes. Same for the large front pocket.

The small pockets on the side... well, you could put a card holder or something in them.. something relatively thin..although it could be quite long.

Basically, the pocket room is there, but is not nearly as useful for clear organization. YMMV of course.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

KIP
74 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 29, 2009 14:19 as a reply to  @ PhatheadWRX's post |  #516

I recently purchased a 5MDH to use as a purse. I wanted something I could carry my XT & 50mm f/1.8 around in as a daily shooter, but also still having my basics. (I'm in the middle of Project 365, and was growing tired of carrying multiple bags to work just to get a photo for the day.) I originally purchased the 4MDH but it was too small. It only fit the XT, nothing else. The 5MDH was the one for me.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

All the stuff I keep in the bag. Camera on 1 side, everything else in the other.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Me with the bag. Yes, I took off the Crumpler logo. I like plain things. And I love Crumpler! These bags are great. Worth the cost thus far.

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=6166215&post​count=1334

PhatheadWRX
391 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 29, 2009 14:24 |  #517

thanks John

frenchbrownphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - stomping ground (external link)
Canon 40D
Sigma 10-20, Canon 18-55 IS, Tammy 28-75, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-300 IS USM
Canon 430EX, Nikon SB-26

badgerW
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 29, 2009 15:03 |  #518

Re: pockets (talking about my 6MDH here)

The mesh pocket on the lid is where I keep my memory card pouch. There really isn't room for much else in there. Maybe some small papers or something like that.

The side pockets are where I stick my wallet and cell phone (both of which are pretty slim.... the phone is a Razr, and my wallet is about the same size) while I'm shooting. I usually slide both of them down into the same pocket. The other one can be used for pens/pencils, a pocketknife, car keys, etc.

The front pocket is big enough for at least 4 BP-511 batteries and a few other small items (lens cloth, etc.). It also fits the battery charger, although it is kind of awkward. I agree that the pockets are the big failing of the Crumpler XMDH line. I am debating getting some external pouches to put on the side attachment points when needed.

Gear

Mashimaro
818 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 29, 2009 16:49 |  #519

some great reviews here!

i just picked up a new 6MDH in Brown and Orange 10mins ago. Can't wait to try it out with my 50D as i had a Lowepro Slingshot 100 for about a week before the zipper rope-handle broke...

Canon 5D4 / Sony A7R2 / Leica M240

kekoa
650 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 29, 2009 17:43 |  #520

guys, which crumpler (back pack) do you recommend that will fit the following:

5dmkii
580 ex flash
24-105
70-200
small prime or 17-40

I prefer a back pack thats waterproof.

thanks

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 29, 2009 18:48 |  #521

Here's my 7MDH.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gear List
ACCD

_aravena
THREAD ­ STARTER
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 29, 2009 21:33 |  #522

KIP wrote in post #8195449 (external link)
I recently purchased a 5MDH to use as a purse. I wanted something I could carry my XT & 50mm f/1.8 around in as a daily shooter, but also still having my basics. (I'm in the middle of Project 365, and was growing tired of carrying multiple bags to work just to get a photo for the day.) I originally purchased the 4MDH but it was too small. It only fit the XT, nothing else. The 5MDH was the one for me.

All the stuff I keep in the bag. Camera on 1 side, everything else in the other.

Me with the bag. Yes, I took off the Crumpler logo. I like plain things. And I love Crumpler! These bags are great. Worth the cost thus far.

Yeah...depending on my outing, mine becomes a murse. Yes, I said it. Carrying wallet and keys can get annoying so I throw them in the bag and typical my g/f's stuff as well since she doesn't carry a purse. But the camera is in there with the 18-50 so it's all good! :D

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

deletedpenguin
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 29, 2009 21:45 |  #523

Mashimaro wrote in post #8196220 (external link)
some great reviews here!

i just picked up a new 6MDH in Brown and Orange 10mins ago. Can't wait to try it out with my 50D as i had a Lowepro Slingshot 100 for about a week before the zipper rope-handle broke...

Hey that's the one I got :) I used to have the Slingshot 100 - this bag is way better. But I'm sure you've discovered that by now. :p

Stefan | StefanPetersen.com.au (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 29, 2009 22:40 |  #524

And in use.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gear List
ACCD

Mashimaro
818 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 30, 2009 18:31 |  #525

deletedpenguin wrote in post #8197700 (external link)
Hey that's the one I got :) I used to have the Slingshot 100 - this bag is way better. But I'm sure you've discovered that by now. :p

i am loving the Crumpler!

the Slingshot zipper rope broke on me within a week of owning. and this was at a wedding when i was unzipping the mainflap to get my camera out! i was like, 'WTF?!?!?! this thing is brand new!!!!!'...wasn't very happy.

took me a while to find a good configuration with my new 6MDH, but it's so nice and holds my new gear nicely - 50D plus 17-85mm, 50mm 1.8, murse stuff like wallet and keys! (just got into the photography hobby). :)

Canon 5D4 / Sony A7R2 / Leica M240

sponsored links

306,239 views & 0 likes for this thread
Official Crumpler Bag Review Thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.