Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Oct 2007 (Monday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..

fugfuggy
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 01, 2007 14:25 |  #1

Since our other thread is getting a bit unwieldy I thought I would start another.

We had a competition yesterday at Broadway Gymnastics. Believe it or not, the gym had too much light! Shot at iso 400 1/500 f 1.8 all day. It was a very sunny day and they had large windows that let in a huge amount of excess light and just about every shot had those as the background. Can you say tough to shoot? So I thought I would do something a bit different.

IMAGE: http://images27.fotki.com/v1019/photos/1/1034366/5449571/DSC_0112-vi.jpg

IMAGE: http://images28.fotki.com/v1029/photos/1/1034366/5449571/DSC_0113-vi.jpg

IMAGE: http://images29.fotki.com/v1035/photos/1/1034366/5449571/DSC_0124-vi.jpg

IMAGE: http://images29.fotki.com/v318/photos/1/1034366/5449571/DSC_01742-vi.jpg

IMAGE: http://images27.fotki.com/v1021/photos/1/1034366/5449571/DSC_0180-vi.jpg

C&C is most welcome. You can find the gallery with many more here:

http://public.fotki.co​m …ions/broadway-gymnastics/ (external link)

sponsored links
Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 01, 2007 16:01 |  #2

WOW...Too much light! I didn't think there was such thing! You did good!

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 01, 2007 16:09 |  #3

I'm in, let's just share some names:

bwolford = Brice
fugfuggy = Rich
gbrandy = Randy
gymdad = Roland
rcavanaugh = Richard
hikin mike = Mike
carriew = Carrie
monkey = Kayla, AKA Little Monkey :)
dharmon = Darrell
lack_focus = Dan

Who am I missing? Post your names and I'll update this for one list. Those of us memory challenged could use the help. If your name is missing, I saw a post with your forum name, but no real name.

I am not implying that not participating in the match name game might exclude you from any conversation, just wanted to do this tighten the community. Certainly understand if you don't want to share your real name.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 01, 2007 16:24 |  #4

Yep, look at my signature too...:lol:

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 01, 2007 16:44 |  #5

Thats like too much money or too much fun!

Great job. You sure can tell the difference when you got the light to your back!

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 02, 2007 15:39 |  #6

bwolford wrote in post #4044746 (external link)

bwolford = Brice
fugfuggy = Rich
gbrandy = Randy
gymdad = Roland
rcavanaugh = Richard
hikin mike = ??? Mike maybe ;)
carriew = Carrie

Who am I missing?

And lest we forget:

Monkey = Kayla :wink::-P

gymdad
225 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 02, 2007 17:18 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #7

Rich,

These are really, really nice. Love 4 (wish the background would have behaved for you--specifically, the red pole), and 5 is EXCELLENT (look at that face, and the judges in the background!) Great shots!

Roland

http://flickr.com/phot​os/gymcritters/ (external link)
Canon gear

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 02, 2007 19:24 |  #8

bwolford wrote in post #4044746 (external link)

bwolford = Brice
fugfuggy = Rich
gbrandy = Randy
gymdad = Roland
rcavanaugh = Richard
hikin mike = Mike
carriew = Carrie
monkey = Kayla, AKA Little Monkey :)

Who am I missing? Post your names and I'll update this for one list. Those of us memory challenged could use the help. If your name is missing, I saw a post with your forum name, but no real name.

I am not implying that not participating in the match name game might exclude you from any conversation, just wanted to do this tighten the community. Certainly understand if you don't want to share your real name.

looks like fun! dharmon=Darrell

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 02, 2007 20:03 |  #9

gymdad wrote in post #4051942 (external link)
Rich,

These are really, really nice. Love 4 (wish the background would have behaved for you--specifically, the red pole), and 5 is EXCELLENT (look at that face, and the judges in the background!) Great shots!

Roland

Hey Roland,

Yep, this was a tough gym to shoot with all of the lighting issues and background clutter and colors. The sepia effect really made some of these much better. I was really focusing on composition this go around. I thought of one shot that I really wanted to get but could not manage the DOF enough to get it. I was trying to get the judge raising the flag in the foreground with the gymnast saluting in the back ground. Here was the shot:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Darn!

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 02, 2007 20:16 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #10

Hi all,

This is my gymbugs first yr competing @ level 3 and Her coach has just requested that we travel to San Diego in Jan. for the national judges cup.
This trip will cost between $3-4k. and require 2-3 days of missed school. Now, I'm wondering does this make sense for a 7yr old ? Just trying to get some input from some of you that have "been there, done that"

Any thoughts?

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 02, 2007 20:22 |  #11

Darrell,

From my perspective I do not think this teaches your little one a good life lesson. My monkey fully understands that school comes first. At this age if they figure out that you are flexible on this issue then the request may never end. It is one thing if she is at a much higher level and there is really something serious on the line, but level 3? Don't think so!

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 02, 2007 21:05 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #12

Rich,

I couldn't have said it better, that is my thoughts exactly. However, Other parents on the team don't share this viewpoint so I was thinking perhaps I was being unreasonable.

Anyone else?

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 03, 2007 08:28 as a reply to  @ dharmon's post |  #13

I think you've received some pretty good advice here. $3-4K for a level 3 athlete missing 3-4 days of school seems excessive. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a National Judges cup. As a matter of fact, USAG sanctions only up to State events for compulsory gymnasts. Why would they have a national judges cup? The only national event I'm aware of for these younger girls is TOPS and that starts with state and regional qualifying first.

I'd look into this event with USAG BEFORE I even considered it.

The most we let our little monkey (to borrow the phrase) miss school was 1 day. She had to be in optionals first. She's missing Friday for Level 10 training camp. We would never had considered this at level 6 or below. At her age, we're starting to think about college scholarships, and such.

There's a gym in town that holds the largest gymnastics meet in the world once a year. I've heard parents going to this say their daughter was invited to an international meet!!! Woo hoo. It's just another meet in the grand scheme of things. :) The USAG treats it just like the local meet around the corner from your gym.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

KartGirlsMom
321 posts
Joined May 2004

Oct 03, 2007 10:12 |  #14

dharmon wrote in post #4052834 (external link)
Hi all,

This is my gymbugs first yr competing @ level 3 and Her coach has just requested that we travel to San Diego in Jan. for the national judges cup.
This trip will cost between $3-4k. and require 2-3 days of missed school. Now, I'm wondering does this make sense for a 7yr old ? Just trying to get some input from some of you that have "been there, done that"

Any thoughts?

My perspective as a retired gym mom of 3 competitive gymnasts of 18 years. Treat fly away meets as a vacation, that oh, yea "Susie" competed in a gym meet while we were there.

Most likely little Susie is not going to be an Olympic star, or even get a college scholarship. Even L5, 6 and 7 state champs can blow their ACLs, (or name any overuse injury) as a L8 and be done with gym, so remember ~ it's supposed to be fun. So if it would be fun to go to on that trip, go. I don't regret any of the trips we went on for meets - many Florida ones, Maui, Cancun, many Arizona ones. Just remember to have fun (did I say have fun?)

30D|50mm 1.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS |

gymdad
225 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 03, 2007 10:16 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #15

Hi, guys....

I think I might be able to shed a little light on the National Judges' Cup meet. Our oldest daughter went, as a level 7, when it was in Houston. And....until she competed in the level 9 regionals and Western nationals, it was by far the most competitive meet she'd ever participated in.

There's a National Judges' Association, to which the various state judges' associations belong. If they decide to participate, each state has a qualifying meet. At this meet, the top six level 7s (regardless of age level) are chosen to represent that state at the national meet (California sends 12--a South team and a North team) Many potential level 8s, and even potential level 9s, will stay at level 7 to try to qualify for this meet, and will then go ahead and move up immediately thereafter. The state associations then pay some or all of the travel expenses, and the girls go to the national meet, where they compete both as a state team and as individuals.

When our daughter went, there were probably 20-25 states represented. I don't know why all states don't participate. Maybe it somewhat depends on where the national meet is going to be? (It was in Houston two years ago, Indianapolis last year, San Diego this year.) Anyway, just seeing the top gymnasts from Texas and California alone was an eye-opening experience, to say the least.

Now, at the same time this national meet is happening, there's a 2nd meet running simultaneously. And, I think this meet was mainly just a normal meet, attended mostly by local teams (with a few more distant gyms in attendance, too).

Hope this helps.

Roland

http://flickr.com/phot​os/gymcritters/ (external link)
Canon gear

sponsored links

114,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.