Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Oct 2007 (Monday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 19, 2007 16:35 |  #166

dharmon wrote in post #4346244 (external link)
Rich,
Congratulations to your daughter! Just saw your post with the results.

Right Back at ya Darrell. Good showing for your little one!

sponsored links
bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 19, 2007 16:52 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #167

Darrel, congratulations, like you did anything!!! :) Pass on our congrats to your gymbug.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 20, 2007 08:10 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #168

She says Thank You....with a BIG smile!:D

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 20, 2007 13:58 as a reply to  @ dharmon's post |  #169

Hey All,

I passed on the well wishes from you all and my little monkey says thank you. She is so excited to have a fan club from all over the country :lol: I am still working on the photos but I put up the video of her beam routine if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=-z5Tozp0Ato (external link)

Only one wobble the whole routine but it almost cost her.

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 20, 2007 15:08 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #170

Sweet.

My wife takes all of the video and it looks like she was at the epicenter of a 8.2 earthquake. My daughter pulls off a move and you'd think my wife was hit with some kind of muscle spasm.

Here's the best my son could do to last year. The shots of her in a green leo were from the Eastern Nationals. All others were from her last season. I have no idea why, but her coach encourages that step out on vault and beam. Well I have an idea, apparently it protect them from tearing knee joints and it's not worth the extra .1 or point .2 at this stage in their careers to stick it.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=QU6Ok7s-e_w (external link)

Are we becoming a video forum? :)

My son, 16 at the time, made the video for shots my wife made.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 20, 2007 15:56 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #171

Brice,

She is AWESOME! And at only 13?!?! Colleges will be looking her up for sure.

"Are we becoming a video forum?" I say if you got them, post them. We are all friends here and it is a nice change of pace to actually see them in action.:eek:

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 20, 2007 19:20 |  #172

GBRandy wrote in post #4333751 (external link)
MKIIn, 135 / f2 lens, 1/640 @ f2, ISO 3200.

Even at that speed you can see movement in her feet & fingers....

Some gyms do not allow for that high a shutter speed... One gym we go to we are lucky to get above 1/120... :(

As Brice and others stated, f2.8 is as slow as a lens as you can consider for these venues and why I own the 50, 85 & 135 lenses.....

Wow 1/640?? that's amazing shutter speed for indoors @3200 and you did a dang-good job on that photo. Came out very well. Just with the xti or 30d I can't seem to get the speed above 1/125 without under-exposing the shot. Also one thing.. do you have the setting on AWB or flourescent?

Thanks again and good job again on the shots

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 20, 2007 19:38 |  #173

fiveFPS wrote in post #4355326 (external link)
Also one thing.. do you have the setting on AWB or flourescent?

I always use custom white balance (unless I forget to switch to it - duh) I have a grey card I shoot and use that as the baseline. But I also shoot everything RAW so I can tweak when I get home. A grey card is a good investment for shooting any indoor sports.

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 20, 2007 20:29 as a reply to  @ GBRandy's post |  #174

California States Photos...

well, I have finished the first batch of 100 so thought I would post a select few here for comments. I was very proud of our girls, first year level fours competing against 2nd and 3rd year level 4s. They all finished top 10 AA and our gym took three first place medals, including my monkey's first place on beam.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE: http://images32.fotki.com/v1066/photos/1/1034366/5626757/DSC_0077-vi.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE: http://images32.fotki.com/v1062/photos/1/1034366/5626757/DSC_0121-vi.jpg

and my little monkey

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE: http://images32.fotki.com/v1064/photos/1/1034366/5626757/DSC_0177-vi.jpg

IMAGE: http://images31.fotki.com/v1053/photos/1/1034366/5626757/DSC_0181-vi.jpg

That is all for now. All were shot manual, 85 f 1.8, 1/250, iso 1600. Feedback and C&C is always welcomed.

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 20, 2007 20:32 |  #175

Ahh, and two more just because I like them

IMAGE: http://images31.fotki.com/v1042/photos/1/1034366/5626757/DSC_0196-vi.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 20, 2007 21:23 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #176

I love that 4th photo in the first set. Nice work!!!

Sounds like your gym is full of talented monkeys. ;)

Brice
Gear List

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 20, 2007 22:27 |  #177

Brice,

Yep, that one is my fav as well. She is our best level 4. The tough thing about this competition, and tell me if other states work this way, is that all of our girls qualified for "platinum" competition by scoring a 37 AA at sectionals. That means that the 40 other girls that we competed against all have scored 37 too. The competition was the fiercest that I have ever seen! Our best girl scores 38+ consistently, as she did in this meet, and she never got one first place medal. My monkey is the beam queen and is always good for a 9.5+. She wobbled at this meet and scored a 9.45. I was so shocked that she won. The winning score on vault was a freakin 9.90! AA medals, 10th place, started at 37.10! If you look at the video that I posted earlier you can see the coach turn back to me and say "I think I am going to throw up.!" Cannot wait to get back to invitationals!

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 21, 2007 01:50 |  #178

GBRandy wrote in post #4355426 (external link)
I always use custom white balance (unless I forget to switch to it - duh) I have a grey card I shoot and use that as the baseline. But I also shoot everything RAW so I can tweak when I get home. A grey card is a good investment for shooting any indoor sports.

Thanks! for the input

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 21, 2007 07:26 |  #179

fugfuggy wrote in post #4356291 (external link)
Brice,

Yep, that one is my fav as well. She is our best level 4. The tough thing about this competition, and tell me if other states work this way, is that all of our girls qualified for "platinum" competition by scoring a 37 AA at sectionals. That means that the 40 other girls that we competed against all have scored 37 too. The competition was the fiercest that I have ever seen! Our best girl scores 38+ consistently, as she did in this meet, and she never got one first place medal. My monkey is the beam queen and is always good for a 9.5+. She wobbled at this meet and scored a 9.45. I was so shocked that she won. The winning score on vault was a freakin 9.90! AA medals, 10th place, started at 37.10! If you look at the video that I posted earlier you can see the coach turn back to me and say "I think I am going to throw up.!" Cannot wait to get back to invitationals!

Is this a USAG meet? USAG doesn't work that way in Florida.

Brice
Gear List

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 21, 2007 08:08 |  #180

fugfuggy wrote in post #4356291 (external link)
Brice,

Ha! you won't see those scores around here. Judges are way tougher. But as my daughter says level 4's always get the "cute points" :) . In level 7 and 8 here a decent score is 34. My daughter took 2nd all around in level 7 with a 34.65 and missed first by .1

Funny, we have 42 kids in level 4. In contrast we have Six on level 7, four on level 8 and two on level 9. Attrition is fast and furious. I look back at level four pictures and only one kid that was on that team is on my daughters current team.

I like your shots by the way...that looks like a nice location....they sure did it up right.

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

sponsored links

115,893 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.