Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Oct 2007 (Monday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 03, 2007 14:59 |  #31

Go here to get started.....I assume a PC and not a MAC?

http://www.opanda.com/ (external link)

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

sponsored links
bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 03, 2007 15:06 |  #32

kpsack wrote in post #4057398 (external link)
How do I post the Exif info?

If you use Photoshop Save for Web, the EXIF data will be removed from the image. If you save JPG normally, but small enough to post, the EXIF data should be intact in the image.

Not sure how to extract and post it as text... Don't do that often.

Richard (gymdad), glad you were able to chime in with first hand knowledge of the National Judges cup. I guess it's not a big deal in Florida... Never heard of it.

I didn't know if I should post different images from the same meet I posted in the old thread... Let me know, I'd be happy to post a few different images. By the way, I'm starting to get orders.... Woo hoo.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 03, 2007 15:16 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #33

Brice,

That was the other Richard with the national cup knowledge.

BTW, can you post the link to your "for sale" gallery again?

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 03, 2007 15:19 |  #34

fugfuggy wrote in post #4057762 (external link)
Brice,

That was the other Richard with the national cup knowledge.

So it was. Sorry about that gymdad! I corrected it. :)

I'm trying to keep names right by posting a list and I still can't get them. I've been terrible with names since birth. I think I screamed "Norma" at birth, instead of mom in baby talk... It's gone down hill ever sense. ;)

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

kpsack
22 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 03, 2007 17:07 |  #35

I have not had an occasion to look at that info yet so no, I don't know how to obtain it. I do save as jpg so I am going to see if I can get it that way. I also will download the Opanda. Thanks for all of that. I was shooting at 1600. That is the best the XTI will do. Before last December, I had only taken pics with small digitals and 35mm. This is my first foray into amateur photography. So needless to say, I have a lot to learn. That is why I have all of you :) I will see what I can find and then get back with y'all.

For the dad whose daughter is Level 3. My daughter first started competing at Level 3. Only three of the girls she started with still compete. Yes, any competition is a good learning experience but, to spend that amount of money and time away from normal life at that level is hard to justify. There will be plenty of times in the future you may be forced to choose gymnastics over school. My daughter had to miss a day of school last year for state meet. What you have to decide if this is one of those "must-do" situations and if she is invested enough for the future to spend the money for the experience and exposure.

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 03, 2007 17:21 |  #36

fugfuggy wrote in post #4056577 (external link)
Am I still the only one in the heart of competition season? Have not see any other posts.

I posted some a few weeks ago. We have two more meets in late October. One I can go to and the other I can't because of my wheelchair. :evil: Then I think there's one more in February.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 03, 2007 18:10 as a reply to  @ Hikin Mike's post |  #37

Kpsack,

Don't make this too hard on yourself in the beginning. Shooting manual and raw is the best way to shoot in the gym, IMHO. But it requires quite a bit more skill, maybe something that you can work up to once you fully understand exposure and how all of the pieces fit together.

Here is what I suggest:

Make sure that your lens is locked on 1.8 and that it never changes. Next, we know that in order to shoot action the minimum shutter speed is 1/250. This is just your starting point and you may be able to achieve more. Also, we know three things about noise 1. it is ugly 2. you get more at the higher iso speeds 3. you get more if you shoot under exposed and try to recover in post processing.

All of that being said, give this a try and let us know how it works for you.

Go into the gym and set your camera to shutter priority. Next, set your shutter speed to 1/250. Next, set your iso to 400. Next, set your meter to spot. Next, set your focus to single point. Next, meter off of the girls face and check your exposure. If you are under exposed at this point, increase your iso to 800 and then check your exposure. Are you still under exposed at iso 800, f 1.8, 1/250? If so, you are in a cave. Bump your iso to 1600 and check your exposure again. If you are over exposed at 800 (good news) or 1600 increase your shutter speed until you are properly exposed. I do not know your camera but there should be an exposure bar. On mine, to the left of center is overexposed and to the right is under. Check your manual.

Now, exposure will vary in different parts of the gym so run through the exercise for each event.

Another major issue that you will run into is cycling lights that will give you different color cast over a series of images. This is why shooting in raw is a huge benefit for us because it is impossible to set up your wb to be consistent accross all shots. Therefor, if you do shoot raw it is easy to adjust after the fact with any standard raw converter.

Now lets talk about the most important thing witch is focusing your camera. Taking tac sharp photos takes a lot of practice so don't get discouraged. In the beginning, just aim that center focal point as tightly, and with as little camera shake as possible, on your subject, steady your arms against your body, and squeeze the shutter. Once you begin to get reasonable results you can begin to work with the different focus points. Keep in mind that the f 1.8 provides serious DOF so you may find images with a nose tac sharp with an ear that is blurred so this will take some practice.

I really hope this helps you and/or any others that may read it.

--
Richard

kpsack
22 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 03, 2007 18:54 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #38

Thanks so much for all of that. I checked my exif info. I had fixed at 1.8 so I knew that was good. My shutter speed was only at 1/180. That would explain the blurriness in some of the photos. I didn't however set my meter to spot or my focus to single point. I am still not shooting RAW because my computer is three years old and I don't have the space to support it. Good news is a new computer is on the way so that will change soon. Thanks so much for all of your help.

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 04, 2007 06:54 |  #39

fugfuggy wrote in post #4057213 (external link)
Gregg,

Love the shot with the girl laying on the beam! They are all very well exposed (big challenge) and all look pretty sharp.

Here are a couple of things that I ALWAYS consider when composing the image. First, the rule of thirds will really help your images. Example, in number 2, put her on the right side of the frame to give her some space where she is looking, same with the last one, more space on top. When shooting landscapes one of the most fundamental rules is to have straight horizons. Same applies here. I really think a crooked image that is easily fixed takes away from the quality of an image. Example, in number 2 the horizon would be the top of the window frames.

One thing that you do well is fill the frame and crop out a lot of clutter. Keep it up!

Thanks! Yes I kind of cropped them a bit quick to post here and now see exactly what you are saying, and agree. I will have another go at them at take a closer look at the composition. Still a work in progress for me.:lol:

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 04, 2007 07:36 |  #40

fugfuggy wrote in post #4057762 (external link)
BTW, can you post the link to your "for sale" gallery again?

Ooops, missed that request...

Here's the gallery (external link). Try to keep your order under $1000. I'm away this weekend and I may not have time to process more than that. ;)

Brice
Gear List

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 04, 2007 08:03 |  #41

bwolford wrote in post #4061925 (external link)
Ooops, missed that request...

Here's the gallery (external link). Try to keep your order under $1000. I'm away this weekend and I may not have time to process more than that. ;)

Exposure Manager rocks.....I like your set-up....looks good.

GBRandy Photos (external link)

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 04, 2007 13:00 as a reply to  @ GBRandy's post |  #42

Kpsack,

something is not adding up here. I have never been in such poor conditions that at iso 1600, and at f 1.8, I could only achieve 1/160. If you were truly in such a dark gym then I feel for you and you cannot expect much from that environment. I think it would really help once you post some pics with full exif.

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 04, 2007 13:32 |  #43

GBRandy wrote in post #4062033 (external link)
Exposure Manager rocks.....I like your set-up....looks good.

GBRandy Photos (external link)

That it does. Looks like our pricing is similar... I just used school picture pricing and picked up at literature to come up with my prices. They are competitive for our market. I did notice that football is a tad more expensive on some items than baseball :) and the fire fighters get a discount on some items... Very complex pricing method!!! :D:p I'm just pulling your leg.

I just figured out how to put banners on exposure manager pages and how to put messages on the gallery and picture pages. I was getting lots of questions about the water mark and whether it printed with the images... I added a short message. Question has stopped to I guess it worked.

Brice
Gear List

kpsack
22 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 04, 2007 22:26 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #44

It is basically a cave. The gym is located in a business park and is exteremely small. The earlier sessions probably got better pictures because they had the garage doors open to let in light. Unfortunately, we were in the night session and didn't have that light. The set-up also didn't allow for any opportunity to take pictures of bars or vault. We had huge poles in the way of the gallery to partially block these events. Made it tough to video also.

I have tried to post some pictures but the problems that I am having with my computer are blocking me from doing so. One of the many reasons to get a new one. When I update, I will post.

Thanks again!

dharmon
357 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 05, 2007 23:16 as a reply to  @ kpsack's post |  #45

wanted to interrupt long enough to thank everyone for their input Re: San Diego. It is helpful to have like- minded people to bounce ideas and questions around.
Your help is always valued!

sponsored links

115,298 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.