Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Oct 2007 (Thursday) 17:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Alien Bee and soft box size

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 04, 2007 17:28 |  #1

I want to be able to shoot full body length shots with even lighting from head to foot, so I want to know if I should get a B400 or B800. Also which soft box should I get? The large (32"x40") or giant(30"x60")? I will use a Vivitar flash and Sunpak flash for fill and background/hairlight for right now, until I can afford an additional AB or two. The room size if it matters is 12'w x 30'L x 10h. I emailed the AB folks yesterday inquiring about this but they haven't gotten back to me yet, and I'm itching to drop the hammer on this now, LOL. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

thanks, Randy

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 04, 2007 19:04 |  #2

B800 and the biggest soft box you can find.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 04, 2007 20:40 |  #3

I would say at least the B800, the giant softbox, and the heaviest light stand with the largest footprint you can find.

For the stand, the AB 13-foot air cushioned stand works reasonably well and is very well priced for its performance. I have a couple along with Bogen/Manfrotto equivalents, etc. The AB actually has a larger footprint than the Bogen/Manfrotto units.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 04, 2007 21:58 as a reply to  @ post 4066602 |  #4

Hi shooterman,

Large softboxes or octaboxes will work well but don't discount using large diffusion panels for this type of work. You can get great coverage from top to bottom and any size or quality of light you desire. As a single light modifier the diffusion panel can be a more flexible device than a fixed size softbox. It's something to consider.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,763 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 04, 2007 22:03 |  #5

TMR Design wrote in post #4066711 (external link)
Hi shooterman,

Large softboxes or octaboxes will work well but don't discount using large diffusion panels for this type of work. You can get great coverage from top to bottom and any size or quality of light you desire. As a single light modifier the diffusion panel can be a more flexible device than a fixed size softbox. It's something to consider.

I agree, sometimes for full lenghts diffusion panels can be the best choice.

snedigity
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 05, 2007 08:18 |  #6

Randy
I had a 4 1/2 foot by 6 photoflex soft box that was nice. But the light quality out of it sucked. I just bought a Wescott 5' octobox whic is extremely well made and has a outstanding light pattern. Moral of the story large is good but equal light patters are better. The other thing is to keepin mind how much space you have. If you have a AB 800 and a Wescott 5 footer I think you will be able to achieve what you are looking at doing.

Just my 2Cents

Scott

Sony A7RII, 16-35 f2.8 GM, 24-70 f2.8 GM, 85 f1.4 GM

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 05, 2007 11:36 as a reply to  @ post 4069870 |  #7

I would seriously consider the Calumet or Photoflex large diffusion panels. As much as I like softboxes and octaboxes you made specific mention of doing full length shots and I really do think that the panel is best suited for that. If you're looking for even lighting and that 'wall of light' appearance you'll have a much easier time doing that with a panel and a large reflector such as the Photoflex 41" x 74" oval reflectors. This will give you a full length fill source as well.

Robert

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 05, 2007 12:37 |  #8

shooterman wrote in post #4070252 (external link)
How necessary are the black panels to control light spill? Would I definitely need them? I'm sure I could buy the Calumet panels and build the frames and legs myself out of PVC.

If you have light colored walls and the area you're working in is the size of a typical room inside a home, a black panel can make a big difference in the amount of stray lighting you get on your subject. The other day, I had to use my black backdrop to cover a white wall that was beside the camera because it was bouncing too much light back at the subject. If I had a black panel on hand, it would have made it much easier to block off the stray light. If the walls are black or dark colored or you're in a large area with wall farther out, then stray light probably won't be much of a problem.

...Leo

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,940 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 05, 2007 14:29 |  #9

besides blocking stray light, a black panel can be very handily placed during product photography of glass and metal to remove unwanted sheen/highlight...'neg​ative lighting'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 05, 2007 14:42 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #10

I use the black panels all time. In a small studio they prove invaluable for keeping stray light from reaching the lens or from contaminating your background with light from the subject area.

Robert

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 05, 2007 15:05 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #4070967 (external link)
besides blocking stray light, a black panel can be very handily placed during product photography of glass and metal to remove unwanted sheen/highlight...'neg​ative lighting'

Yes, another good reason for having black panels or something that serves the same purpose. :)

...Leo

sponsored links

3,468 views & 0 likes for this thread
Alien Bee and soft box size
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.