Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 10 Oct 2007 (Wednesday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SD vs. SDHC

Biffarama
36 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 10, 2007 13:54 |  #1

I've read a few threads here on the SD vs. SDHC issue. I bought my S3 for the zoom, I was always happy with the continuous shooting pictures my A610 took of my sons playing sports and I figured the S3 would continue that performance. But the one thing I have noticed is that when in continous mode (in the Sports mode) that the delay before the next shot seemed to be longer in the S3. I have a 2GB SD card in it now.

My question is this, if I buy an SDHC card, like the SanDisk II, will the continous shooting performance improve? Will the camera take continous shots faster?

Thanks

S95 and T3i

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 10, 2007 14:15 |  #2

SDHC cards are bigger, not necessarily faster. You'll get more photos, not faster. What card are you currently using? You might try stepping up to a faster one, say from the SanDisk blue (standard) to an Ultra II or Extreme III. Rob Galbraith (external link) has run speed tests on most cards and another factor in the performance has been that the smaller capacity cards have been faster. So changing to a 1 GB card might help too.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 10, 2007 14:17 |  #3

SDHC just stands for high capcity and has nothing to do with speed. You want a fast card like the Sandisk Ultra II. They come in 2GB. I sold all mine, more moer P&S. They work fine, but why are you using CS? I can understand, but it's effectiveness on the S3 seemed, bleh. Aniwho, yeah, just get a Ultra II, They run for deals at startying at $20-$40

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

DavidW
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 10, 2007 14:58 |  #4

Almost certainly it will make very little difference. I'm not even sure that the S3 IS has official SDHC support - though people report that it works fine.

SDHC cards are not inherently faster than SD cards, though they are sold with a 'Class' rating which is a guarantee of a certain speed. I'd try to borrow another card and see if it makes the camera any faster.

Modern compacts are remarkably good - but rapid fire shooting with long lenses is one area where they're found wanting (especially when you include 'shutter lag' when you first press the button). Unfortunately rapid fire shooting with long zooms is done far better with a DSLR and long lens - but the kind of rigs the professional photographers are using are not cheap (at the top end of the market it's US$4500 list price for a 1D Mark III and as much as US$6500 list price for a lens, if you want a EF 400mm f/2.8L IS - plus the cost of a sturdy monopod).

Of course you can get amazing results with lesser kit - but it's much more hit and miss, and more awkward to use.

David

Biffarama
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 10, 2007 16:05 as a reply to  @ DavidW's post |  #5

I'm using a standard SanDisk blue 2GB card right now. Nothing fancy.

I shoot in CS mode sometimes at my son's games to try to get good action shots and find if I shoot continuously my odds of doing so increase.

So, if I understand correctly, if I get a SanDisk Ultra or Extreme II card the continuous shooting speed probably wouldn't improve? The issue is more with the camera itself than the card?

S95 and T3i

DavidW
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 10, 2007 16:23 |  #6

Things may be slightly faster with an Ultra II or Extreme III card, but don't expect miracles. Is the Sandisk blue card fast enough to cope with the highest resolution video for a couple of minutes? If so, the card probably isn't slowing you down that much.

David

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 10, 2007 17:40 |  #7

Yeah, the Ultra II will do fine, but you don't have an SLR, remember that. Other than that, shoot away and good luck!

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Biffarama
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 10, 2007 17:44 |  #8

DavidW wrote in post #4101558 (external link)
Things may be slightly faster with an Ultra II or Extreme III card, but don't expect miracles. Is the Sandisk blue card fast enough to cope with the highest resolution video for a couple of minutes? If so, the card probably isn't slowing you down that much.

David

I will test that tonight and see.

S95 and T3i

Micky ­ Daeus
78 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 12, 2007 04:49 as a reply to  @ Biffarama's post |  #9

From my experience with the S3 I found that 1GB cards take lots more photos on H]]] before the card lags regardless of brand or speed.
A cheap bundled 1GB card outshines the 2GB 120X I got later. I've also noticed that in the A550 it's ready to shoot again quicker with a small card.
I don't think that the S3 supports SDHC anyway.
This is only based on observation and may be influenced by shooting conditions and quantum theory.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Biffarama
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 12, 2007 13:53 |  #10

Thanks Micky

S95 and T3i

silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,310 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 22, 2007 01:39 |  #11

DavidW wrote in post #4101165 (external link)
Almost certainly it will make very little difference. I'm not even sure that the S3 IS has official SDHC support - though people report that it works fine.

SDHC cards are not inherently faster than SD cards, though they are sold with a 'Class' rating which is a guarantee of a certain speed. I'd try to borrow another card and see if it makes the camera any faster.

Modern compacts are remarkably good - but rapid fire shooting with long lenses is one area where they're found wanting (especially when you include 'shutter lag' when you first press the button). Unfortunately rapid fire shooting with long zooms is done far better with a DSLR and long lens - but the kind of rigs the professional photographers are using are not cheap (at the top end of the market it's US$4500 list price for a 1D Mark III and as much as US$6500 list price for a lens, if you want a EF 400mm f/2.8L IS - plus the cost of a sturdy monopod).

Of course you can get amazing results with lesser kit - but it's much more hit and miss, and more awkward to use.

David

SDHC is officially supported by canon. the speed of the S3 FPS will not change with a faster card. It is about 1.5 FPS. I use the transcend 2GB 150x and it will keep up with the S3.

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

DirePenguin
65 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 24, 2007 10:55 |  #12

silvex wrote in post #4168328 (external link)
SDHC is officially supported by canon. the speed of the S3 FPS will not change with a faster card. It is about 1.5 FPS. I use the transcend 2GB 150x and it will keep up with the S3.

The S3 has two continuous shooting modes; low and high speed, settable in the menu.

Low-speed Continuous is 1.5fps. High-speed Continuous is 2.3fps (just a shade slower than the EOS Rebel XT's 2.89fps).

The speed of the card doesn't affect the fps, but it does affect how many you'll get before the "busy" warning comes on and the camera slows down.

At large/superfine on a SanDisk UltraII, you should be able to keep taking shots until the card is full. On a slower card it seems to bog down at about 10-12 shots.

sponsored links

11,357 views & 0 likes for this thread
SD vs. SDHC
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.