Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Oct 2007 (Friday) 03:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My wishful thinking - Canon Speedlites triggered wirelessly AND optically

Redbird_xo
542 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 12, 2007 03:42 |  #1

Based on reading different forums and my own experience and understanding of ETTL and wireless flash, it appears that it CAN'T BE DONE (at the moment).

Plus, there are different workarounds, such as various hotshoe adapters, the popular FM radio triggers (PW or Chinese RF-604, etc.), not to mention PC sync cables...

How many of you care about being able to:

1. Use onboard flash (ETTL) or hotshoe mounted flash (ETTL or manual) to trigger another Canon Speedlite wirelessly and optically.

2. Use your P&S DC (those without manual mode) to trigger any hotshoe flashes wirelessly and optically. In other words, the optical trigger won't be fooled by the preflash on your P&S.

The reason for 1. and 2. above is simply to increase quantity of light and to alter the directon of light for better exposure. Please don't get me wrong about preserving ETTL which I don't really care much when multiple flashes are used. And this is not about getting a Wein trigger or using the FEL button to "release" the preflash, etc. This is not a how-to-do-something thread.

If there is a need (at least the way I perceive there is), why isn't some gizmo made to fulfill this niche? Or did I miss it.

Your views?

Moppie
15,074 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 12, 2007 05:14 |  #2

You can buy optical triggers that ignore the pre-flash, there are also complete flash units with built in optical triggers that can be set to ignore the pre-flash if needed.

Of course only some of the optical triggers work with EX, EZ and even older T series speedlites.

There is no magical way of getting around the problem, you simply have to buy the gear needed, or use the known work arounds involving the FEL button (not much use if you have a compact).

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

Rudeofus
502 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 12, 2007 05:30 as a reply to  @ Moppie's post |  #3

I suppose lots of people would like that extra flexibility, but they'll have to wait for several years until all patents covering parts of this functionality finally expire. Canon holds patents on pretty much anything surrounding their wireless E-TTL technology, pocketwizard holds a patent which covers triggering flashes over an RF link containing CPUs on both end.

I've never need the Gadget Infinity triggers inside, but either they don't have a CPU on the remote end or they don't care about the patent because they are located in China. Pocketwizard also holds a patent on putting a radio trigger into the camera.

Right now we are in a phase where most wireless flash patents are about 8-15 years old. Expect a major product development cycle in about 5-10 years. :-(

Discovery is not accidental. We discover only when we make ourselves ready to receive and photographers seek discovery by mastering their craft. But it begins somewhere else. It begins with daisies, kids, awful scenes, falling in love, or growing old. It begins with that which matters to you. And it ends with visual statements that express what matters to you about these things. It is not sight the camera satisfies so thoroughly, but the mind. - Christian Molidor

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
My wishful thinking - Canon Speedlites triggered wirelessly AND optically
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.