Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 14 Oct 2007 (Sunday) 15:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Great POTN Photo Book Project Volume 2: FAQ

EOSAddict
Book Committee Immortal
6,091 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 14, 2007 15:46 |  #1

Here is the FAQ for Volume 2 of the POTN Photo Book. Any questions, please post below or contact one of the Book Committee. Full details of the Book Team are listed here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=385710

The Official Terms and Conditions can be found here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=392286

FAQ

1. How much will the book cost? What about shipping, I hear that blurb shipping for non-US customers is horrendous?

Our price point is $40 plus P&P for a 160 page book although we may consider a 200 page book for $48 if there is interest.

Blurb have worked hard to improve shipping options for it's non USA customers. They have recently posted this on their site:

Quote:
New, Cheaper Shipping Options From Blurb
When Blurbarians ask for something, we look into it.
You recently asked for better shipping rates. After much research, we're excited to offer two new shipping options via the Swiss Post:
Swiss Post Economy and Priority.
Using the Swiss Post allows us to dramatically reduce shipping rates to Asia, Australia, Europe, and New Zealand.
If you'd like to see some examples of these new shipping rates, check out this blog post.
http://recp.mkt32.net/​ctt?kn=1&m=547...&b=2&​j=MzcyODM (external link) 4MDMS1&mt=1
It's important to know that the Swiss Post shipping method isn't trackable like the UPS method we offer. Once your books leave the printer, you will not be able to follow the delivery status or troubleshoot lost orders. Keep this in mind when you order books needed in a timely manner.
To learn more, take a look at our updated Pricing and Shipping page.
http://recp.mkt32.net/​ctt?kn=6&m=547...&b=2&​j=MzcyODM (external link) 4MDMS1&mt=1

2. How much profit are you guys making anyway?

Nothing. Nobody is making a profit on this (except the printing company!).

3. Will I get paid if my picture is published?

No, this is purely a POTN community thing. The Terms and Conditions are clear, by submitting an image you waive any expectation or right to remuneration for any use of your image by the Book Committe and POTN, including its publication in the book.

4. How many pages will be in the book? How many photos is that?

Current plans are for a 160 page book (like Volume 1) but depending on the number of submissions we receive we may consider increasing the book to 200 pages (which would push the price up to $48 ). If so, we would seek some views from the forum. 160 pages is approximately 260 images.

5. How many pages will the <insert> Share get? How many photos is that?

We will decide the size of each Share's book chapter on the number of image submissions we receive. We believe this most accurately reflects POTN and the interest in the Book Project. However, this may produce some very uneven results, so we reserve the right to even things up a bit.

6. How do I submit an image for the contest / for the book?

There will be a submission website setup at http://volume2.24zero.​com/ (external link) through which you will be able to sign up to the Terms and Conditions and provide all the necessary information about you and your images. All photographers can submit to any or all Share categories, but will be allowed to submit only 1 photo per Share. Each image can only be submitted once. Be sure to pick your very best images! The Selection Panel will be looking for the very best that POTN has to offer, and we want to capture the spirit of POTN in the images we publish. Images published in Volume 1 are not eligible for resubmission!

7. What size should the image be for the contest / for the book?

Images should be submitted as JPEG files at maximum (no lower than 10 in PS or equivalent) quality in sRGB colour space, EXIF intact, at a resolution of exactly 2574 pixels on the longest side. Images submitted must not have a frame or any visible watermark. Images of incorrect size will be rejected by the submission website. Cropping is allowed, but bear in mind the Book format suits 'standard' ratio images best. The reason we ask for this size is so we do not have to ask for resubmitted images. 2574 pixels is the largest size that will be printed in the book. If your image's native resolution is less than this you will need to upsize your image. If not sure how, contact one of the Book Team for advice.

8. How should I process my image?

Post process it so that it looks as good as it can get so long as it remains fundamentally a photographic image. Bearing mind this will be a photo book so heavily post-processed images may not find favour with the selection panel or the forum voters. You should do any capture sharpening you wish but NO output sharpening should be done. Images will be automatically be resized to 800px by smugmug for public forum vote.

9. Why are you guys doing the output sharpening?

We will not be able to do the book layout until we have all the photos that will be in it. In order to be flexible in the design of the book we will have to size images to fit the best possible layout. Proper sharpening is dependent on the size of the image and the print method, so it is best done after the final layout has been done.

10. But I'm very good with sharpening and I want to sharpen my own photo!

Again, we can't possibly know the final layout in advance so we will have to resize images to fit the final layout and do the output sharpening at that time. You are still allowed to do capture/creative sharpening.

11. I have no idea how to post-process my photo for the book! What do I do?

Don't worry. Submit your image, and let us know. We will have a group of skilled Photoshop volunteers who are willing to help out in such situations.

12. Who voted for you guys anyway?

We volunteered our services to support and run this project and anyone who has done so has been able to contribute as much or as little as they wish. A core of POTN Members have taken on the running of the Project with support from many POTN’ers.

13. Who voted for the members on the Selection Panel?

Mostly they volunteered their services following several threads (mainly this one https://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php​?t=372685)
We also looked for members who have shown a skill with photography and who also have shown a serious involvement in the POTN community. We then asked a bunch of these folks to volunteer, and most did.

14. Who are they anyway?

An up to date list of the whole Book Project Team can be found here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=385710

15. How will my photo be used?

Submitted images will be hosted in a private web gallery for Panel Selection and then in a public web gallery if selected for public forum voting. Other than this selection process the image will only be used for publication in the Book and we may post or link some images on POTN.
16. What is the position on releases for images published in the Book?

We did a lot of work on this issue for Volume 1 and here is what we believe is the definitive position.

Two key quotes from "Photographer's Legal Guide" are:

“You don’t need a model release if the photo is used editorially, which includes news items, textbooks, and public interest items.”

“Courts traditionally have defined public interest or newsworthiness in liberal and far-reaching terms, not limiting it to the dissemination of news in the sense of current events. They have extended it well beyond that to include all types of factual, educational and historical data, even including entertainment and amusement and other interesting phases of human activity in general.”

The POTN Book falls into this editorial category.

Of course it's not as simple as that, as a few rules concerning privacy rights still apply. In short, in the United States the privacy rights state that:

1. One can not intrude upon another's solitude
2. One can not publicly disclose private facts
3. One can not portray another in a false light
4. One can not use another name or likeness to obtain some benefit.

The first three are easy to understand and should be clear in a photograph. Since the book is not making a profit for anyone affiliated with POTN no photographer will receive any benefit from publishing a photo in this book.

Some countries - notably France - have even more strict privacy rights. A photo taken of someone - even in a public place - in France can not be published since this is considered an invasion of privacy.

Therefore our submission rules are as follows:

a. It is up to the photographer to ensure that none of the 4 privacy rights have been violated concerning the submitted photo. If the Panel Members or Book Committee have any doubts the submission will be rejected unless a model release is available.

b. Photographs of people taken in the country of France, and other countries with strict privacy rights, can not be submitted to the Book Project without a model release.

c. If the photographer already has a model release then the publication of the photo in the POTN Book must be allowed by the release.

d. If you have a photograph taken at an event (concert, auto race) that allows photography only for personal use, or otherwise prohibits photo publication, then you can not submit an image from that event.

e. If a work of art (including paintings and sculptures) is depicted in the photograph, it is up to the photographer to ensure the copyright of that work, in the country that photograph was taken, is not infringed by publication, or to provide a property release. Note that some countries restrict reproduction even of publicly displayed art.

f. Model and/or Property Releases still be required if any Panel Members or Book Committee members have any doubts about a photo. If a release can not be provided the photo will be rejected. This decision will be final.

References:

"Photographer’s Legal Guide" by Carolyn E. Wright, Esq.
This book is about $20 for softcover or $10 for an ebook version. It is an excellent reference for professional photographers and others interested in photographers rights.
http://www.photoattorn​ey.com/ (external link)

Wikipedia - Privacy Rights
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Invasion_of_pri​vacy (external link)

Information on two cases involving publication of people's images:
Nussenzweig v. DiCorcia
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Nussenzweig_v._​DiCorcia (external link)
Same case, with additional info on "Arrington vs New York Times"
http://www.nytimes.com …03/19/ar...rssn​yt&emc=rss (external link)

17. How long will the Panels take to decide on the final images?

See FAQ #55.

18. I really want a book to give to <friends/family> but I think they might be offended by some of the shots in the Glamour & Nude section... what do I do?

We plan to publish two versions of the book this time. One version will exclude the G&N section to cover exactly this situation. We understand this will be frustrating for those with images in G&N but believe that, following feedback on Volume 1, this is the best way forward to ensure the book is seen by as many people as possible.

19. How long do I have to submit my photos?

We are allowing a month, from Midnight on 31 Oct to Midnight on 30 Nov 07.

20. What will happen then?

The Selection Panel will will ensure that each of the photos submitted is of high quality and will represent POTN in its best light. Photos that pass this initial technical and suitability evaluation will be placed in a public gallery. A public poll will take place, one for each Share, and the public's votes will decide one-half of the photos to go into the book. The other half will be selected by the Selection Panel from the remaining photos. In this way, we can ensure a selection of high quality photos that pass both Selection Panel and public approval.

The selected photos will be placed into galleries and put up to public vote within POTN. Note that all voters must have a POTN join date of 1 Nov 07 or earlier. Each voter will be allowed to pick their favourite photos in a poll thread in the appropriate Share.

21. This is a Canon forum, but I have a picture taken on a <non-Canon camera> can I still submit it?

Absolutely. We make no distinction, the only criteria is that you are a POTN Member on or before 1 Nov 07. There were several images in Volume 1 taken on non-Canon and non-Digital cameras. All judging and voting is done on the image and its merits so no-one will know anyway (despite what you read in the equipment forums :wink:)

22. Why do you insist on up to 50 words narrative.. I can't write for toffee?

In Volume 1 we felt that good narrative really helped with the forum community aspect of the book. Therefore we really want people to submit something with their image. There is no set format, it could be where it was, what mood you were in, some unusual detail of the image or some technical stuff - we don't mind. If you are no Shakespeare don't worry/panic either. We have a great editor who can knock your words into shape.. just give us the info to work on.

23. What if there are too many votes? What if there are not enough?

The Panel Members and the Committee will make final decisions on the photos, using the votes as guidelines. The Book Committee has the final say

24. The contest is over - what happens now?

We will need to design the book and do all the necessary ordering of images to ensure the overall look of the book is good. This will take several months so be patient.. we will keep you updated on progress with regular postings on POTN.

25. I won a spot in the book! What do I have to do now?

Nothing. We will announce which images have been selected but since you provided us with a full size image and all the supporting information when you submitted, you need do nothing now. However, towards the end of the design process, we will ask you to proof your entry.

26. Why does it take so long to design the book?

To ensure a quality product we need to get the design right first time as opportunities for proofing are minimal. We also need to do our best to colour match all the images for print, do the necessary sharpening.

27. I won the contest! Yay! What page will my photo be on?

If you won the contest for the Share Section your image will be the 'Signature' Image for that section of the book. That means it will be the only image on the front page of that section.

28. Hey, I got 4th place but I'm on the 6th page! Why??

Once the Signature Shot is chosen, all other winning photos are considered equal and will be placed in the Book in a way that complements the design and layout of the Book.
29. When will I be able to order the book?

Probably by end May 08 but we will keep you updated as the project progresses.

30. How do I order the book?

It will be available through Blurb.com.

31. I got my book but it's damaged!

Email Blurb. They have pretty good customer service and generally will replace below standard books.

32. My photo is smaller than I wanted!

Due to design and layout restrictions we can not guarantee that every photo will be at a particular size, but we will certainly do our best to print the largest size possible.

33. I don't think the quality is very good...

We thoroughly researched the project and checked over 30 publishing companies. Considering the answers to the polls - where most people showed that they wanted a high quality book at a decent price - we narrowed the search to 3 companies. Sample books were ordered from all 3, and the best quality company was chosen. Blurb has had good reviews elsewhere and the sample we received certainly met our requirements for quality and price. The feedback from Volume 1 has certainly been positive.

34. Hey, this is GREAT! Who do I thank?

I'd like to thank my agent, my manager, my family.. Seriously, consider making a donation to POTN.

35. Are there any specific exclusions I need to know about for images that might get published?

Any shot taken in Madagascar between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. local will result in the immediate loss of chocolate privileges for two weeks and It is considered rude to take pictures of the left ear of anyone with Luxembourg citizenship."

Seriously, Any picture that would be suitable for posting on POTN is suitable for submission to the Book Project. We apply the same guidelines as the POTN Moderators on image suitability and appropriateness for the Share the image is submitted in

36. Where are we going to store the submitted photos?

Images will be stored by the respective Image Managers for each share - on their hard drive and in a web Gallery provided to us for this project free by smugmug.com (thanks guys!)

37. What do the Image Managers do?

Image Managers will receive all images for their Share Selection from the submission website. They will then collate and store the images, before uploading them to a private web gallery on our smugmug site. After the initial Panel Selection, the images will be moved to a public web gallery on our smugmug site for POTN voting. The IM will also create and monitor the voting thread for that Share on POTN as well as the image selection by the Panel.

38. What do the Panel Members do?

Selection Panel members will first be evaluating the technical quality of the submitted images to ensure they are suitable for book publication and that the images are suitable and in keeping with the overall theme and design of the book. All images that pass this initial test will be eligible for public forum voting. Once the Public voting has finished, the Selection Panel will choose the other 50% of images from ALL those that passed technical selection.

39. What does the Book Committee do?

Just think of us as the editors of the book and hands on the Tiller of the overall process. All of us were heavily involved in Volume 1 so we know the likely problems.. We will run the overall process of image submission, voting, collation, design and publishing.

40. How many photos can I submit into the contest?

You can submit one photo in each Share, but you can enter as many Shares as you like. The Committee reserves the right to limit the number of photos published by any Member.

41. What size is the book?

8x10 inches landscape format

42. Can I get softcover? Can I get hardcover?

The book will be hardcover.

43. Can I get the book as a PDF?

No. We decided early on that the aim of the Project was to produce a book. Images can easily seen on POTN.

44. POTN is an international community. Why are there no pictures from West Bokhistanislovia?

None were submitted and/or selected. Images will be selected based on their individual merit.

45. Where do my photos go when I submit them?

They are forwarded to the email account of the respective Image Manager who takes it from there. He will then upload them to our own smugmug account, kindly provided by smugmug especially for this project.

46. Who has access to my photos?

Initially your images will only be accessible to the Panel Members via a password protected web Gallery. Should your image be selected for public vote, an 800px resized version will be published in a public web gallery on our smugmug site http://potn.smugmug.co​m (external link).

47. So who provided the gallery hosting for this free of charge?

smugmug.com

48. I volunteered to be an IM, how much server and disk space do I need

You won’t need any server space, all gallery hosting is being done centrally on our smugmug account. You will need sufficient hard disk space for the images. A full size 12 Qual JPG might be close to 10MB. You will, however, need a decent internet connection (at least Broadband) for downloading and uploading images.

49. What are the project timescales?

The current plan for the Project is as follows:

Current Project Timetable:

Nov 1 - Nov 30 - Image Submission Period
Nov 25 - Dec 31 - Gallery organization & PM Voting for technical issues
Jan 1 - Jan 21 - Public Voting
Jan 22 - Feb 12 - Gallery organization & PM Voting
Feb 19 - All photos in book chosen and placed into Galleries
Feb 20 - Apr 21 - Page Assembly, Text Proofing, Photographer Proofing, etc.
Apr 22 - Book Assembly Complete, Book Submitted to printer
May 6 - Receive 1st Draft Copy of book
May 7-29 - Review and edit Draft copy
May 30 - Receive 2nd Draft,
Jun 1- Publicly announce availability

Note: All timings are aspirational and there is no formal commitment to keep to these dates if circumstances otherwise dictate

50. What is the size of the print run?

blurb is an on-demand publishing house so it makes little difference to price or availability if its 1 or 1000 books (there are some volume discounts). We are not bound by a minimum order.

51. What's EXIF, why do we need it, and how do I make sure my photos contain it?

EXIF is data that's embedded into RAW or JPG files by the camera and (sometimes and optionally) image editing software. This contains information about what camera took the shot, when and with what settings. Note, there is no personal data contained within EXIF data unless you want it to be there (and it won't be there unless you really want it to).

We request that images contain EXIF data so that we can see (and print) the settings that that the shot was taken with. This isn't because we don't believe you when you tell us, it just makes it easier to confirm the data you provide in the submission form and, yes, ultimately, it's protection for us (and you) should there ever be any dispute about the images.

You can check for the EXIF within your image editing software, or by using windows (it'll be in the file properties, you might have to view them as "Advanced" info).

Alternatively, you can use the online checker at http://regex.info/exif​.cgi (external link) or use Opanda's EXIF Viewer in Firefox or IE

For more info (particularly relating to HDR) check out this post and reply:

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=4179285&pos​tcount=126

Al
My Gear, My Website: www.endofthetrailphoto​graphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
EOSAddict
THREAD ­ STARTER
Book Committee Immortal
6,091 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 24, 2007 02:40 |  #2

FAQ #51 updated with more info

Al

EOSAddict
THREAD ­ STARTER
Book Committee Immortal
6,091 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 30, 2007 14:39 |  #3

FAQ #6 updated to give Submission Website URL

Al

Bill ­ Pham
Cream of the Crop
5,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2007 11:02 as a reply to  @ EOSAddict's post |  #4

how do i send my images with exif intact. not sure how to and i think the one i submitted has no exif data. when i downsize the image to the require size in dreamweaver it loose the exif data. so if anyone can help me out here would be great.

Bill

winning is fun and second is for loser
I got Mitch hook on wide angle :lol::lol:
Gear list
http://billpham.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

EOSAddict
THREAD ­ STARTER
Book Committee Immortal
6,091 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 03, 2007 11:03 |  #5

Bill, I have no experience of dreamweaver.. do you not have PS or similar? What Share did you submit an image for I will check.

Al

Bill ­ Pham
Cream of the Crop
5,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2007 11:05 as a reply to  @ EOSAddict's post |  #6

i submit the ladybug ready to launch photo last nite. and no just dreamweaver and picaso.

Bill

Gear list

Bill ­ Pham
Cream of the Crop
5,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2007 11:06 as a reply to  @ Bill Pham's post |  #7

ooops sorry forgot to mention i listed in macro section.

Bill

Gear list

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 05, 2007 11:30 |  #8

Q. What happens if (after submitting my shot), I suffer from a bout of guilt about the terrible standard of my post processing skills (find a far better shot in my library) and wish to resubmit something better.

Can we re-submit shots before the cut off, or do you take our first submission and ignore any subsequent submissions?

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 05, 2007 12:09 |  #9

You can re-submit any time before the cut off. Please be sure to PM me, EOSAddict, and the Image Manager for the Share. This will ensure that there are no misunderstandings. We will want to be sure to delete the old image and info. If you fail to PM us all bets are off and we have no idea what will happen. Chances are good that we'll disqualify you for submitting 2 images to a single Share.

The list of Image Managers for the Shares can be found in this thread: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=385710

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 05, 2007 12:17 |  #10

I got the one from you, Bill, and put it up today. I apologize for being a little slow, due to the Wedding Meet in Albany this weekend. But I'm sure the IM's are all working hard now. Submissions are coming in and seems all is in order.

I met with 18 other POTN members and they all loved Book I and did not know the submissions were happening now. I told them to hurry up so the IM's can get the images ready to go for choosing.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 05, 2007 12:38 |  #11

SuzyView wrote in post #4257350 (external link)
I met with 18 other POTN members and they all loved Book I and did not know the submissions were happening now.

What the ?? ?? ?? :shock:

What more can we do to get the word out? We have Announcements in every Share. Many (most?) of the IMs and PMs and BC have it in their Sig. We have threads about the FAQ, the process, etc, etc...

I don't know what else we can do to let people know... Anyone have any ideas (not involving PMs) ??

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

EOSAddict
THREAD ­ STARTER
Book Committee Immortal
6,091 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 05, 2007 13:17 |  #12

SuzyView wrote in post #4257350 (external link)
I met with 18 other POTN members and they all loved Book I and did not know the submissions were happening now. I told them to hurry up so the IM's can get the images ready to go for choosing.

You can lead a horse to water, but.... ;)

Al

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 05, 2007 13:23 |  #13

EOSAddict wrote in post #4257750 (external link)
You can lead a horse to water, but.... ;)

Ain't that the truth?:(

My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,915 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 05, 2007 13:26 as a reply to  @ Scottes's post |  #14

something I've been doing (it's not a grand scale or anything) but...I've been visiting more photo threads and if I think they are really wonderful, I just say "wow, that's book quality, you should enter it into the book competition" (or something along those lines). I could put the link in too...

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 05, 2007 13:28 |  #15

That sounds like a good idea.

sponsored links

41,140 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Great POTN Photo Book Project Volume 2: FAQ
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.