Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Aug 2004 (Friday) 12:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

w00t

s00pcan
261 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Aug 06, 2004 12:02 |  #1

I got a 420ex with an omnibounce today. Just had to say that. It's fun to finally use my lenses indoors with flash as well as using the bounce ability. The stofen helps a lot getting rid of shadows. Now I can't wait for school to start so I can use it in my journalism class.

sponsored links
Ballen ­ Photo
19,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 06, 2004 14:07 |  #2

s00pcan wrote:
I got a 420ex with an omnibounce today. Just had to say that. It's fun to finally use my lenses indoors with flash as well as using the bounce ability. The stofen helps a lot getting rid of shadows. Now I can't wait for school to start so I can use it in my journalism class.

CONGRATS Dude! Now lets see it in action. :wink:
....Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

4walls
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 06, 2004 14:51 |  #3

I can relate...I love my 380EX, the only thing I would like is the ability to
rotate the flash head like the 420EX does. Otherwise this is the best
single accessory I have bought for indoor use.

s00pcan
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Aug 06, 2004 15:10 |  #4

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Bounced off the wall
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

At least the cat is good for something.

4walls
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 06, 2004 15:20 |  #5

:lol: :lol:

The cat or the flash?

s00pcan wrote:
Bounced off the wall
IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

s00pcan
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Aug 06, 2004 15:33 |  #6

4walls wrote:

The cat or the flash?

The cat was scared of the flash actually (I would be too). But I bounced it (the flash..) and it didn't care as much I guess.

Mr_Blonde
21 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 06, 2004 17:39 |  #7

Hey there S00pcan, nice shot!

I'm very new to the 'accessory' side of photography....(well pretty new to photography period), and I was wondering what that is clipped to your lcd viewfinder.

I've had a G5 for about 6 months now and have taken about 2700 photos....but now its time to learn how to take good ones. I think I have a good idea, but what is the omnibounce technically for, and in what certain situations is it necessary?

Any help for a newb would be grateful!

s00pcan
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Aug 06, 2004 18:39 |  #8

Mr_Blonde wrote:
Hey there S00pcan, nice shot!

I'm very new to the 'accessory' side of photography....(well pretty new to photography period), and I was wondering what that is clipped to your lcd viewfinder.

I've had a G5 for about 6 months now and have taken about 2700 photos....but now its time to learn how to take good ones. I think I have a good idea, but what is the omnibounce technically for, and in what certain situations is it necessary?

Any help for a newb would be grateful!

Welcome to the forums (they're great). That thing is the hoodman h-dcr lcd viewfinder, which shades and magnifies the sreeen. I use it more for outdoor shots, but I was just testing to see if I could fit my eye to it with the 420ex in the way in that shot. The omnibounce diffues light coming from the flash just like the flashclip (thing that goes over the internal flash on the g3/5, I have that too). This helps reduce the power of the flash and make it cover more when you're using a wide angle lens or in the case of the flashclip, get rid of the lens shadow. A shot I took of myself with the omnibounce and the flash pointed strait up had no shadows at all on my face - it looked like I didn't even use a flash.

Oh yeah, I noticed I get more spots (they look like lens flare but can appear anywhere) from the light bouncing around more when using the 420ex. I guess I'll need to get a lens hood too..

When I press set to review a shot I just and zoom it, the scrolling is really choppy. And this only happens when the something is in the hotshoe - on or off. Works fine in playback. Very stupid. The constant beeping noise is really annoying too.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Obviously the external flash works much better than the internal flash. The dog is actually that brownish color and not white.

sponsored links

1,757 views & 0 likes for this thread
w00t
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.