Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Oct 2007 (Sunday) 18:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Built a frame for diffusion panel

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 21, 2007 18:11 |  #1

Just finished building a 4' x 7' frame for my diffusion panel. Took all of about 10 minutes to measure and cut. Now all I need is for my wife to dig out her sewing machine, stitch up the edges of the material and sew on the four elastic corner holders and I'll be all set. 1 down 3 to go. I'm sure anyone interested could easily figure out how to build it without instructions, but if you want the dimensions to cut, let me know.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

sponsored links
photosytes
419 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 22, 2007 09:13 |  #2

Show us some pics when you completely done and maybe some of your final setup. Don't forget some example shots!!

Are you using these for portraits?

www.earthframed.ca (external link) - Landscape and Nature Photography

Photodawg1
Goldmember
3,059 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 22, 2007 09:18 |  #3

I love the car in the BG with the boxes on top!

http://www.lindasiadys​.com (external link)

whiskaz
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 22, 2007 09:45 |  #4

Oh, nice support system you built there. Mines leaning on a ceiling fan right now :) I plan to build a 2nd panel and tie the 2 together, but I like your solution!

Jeremy | Gear List | EyeDigress - A Photoblog (external link) | blinkphotography.net (external link)

"This aggression will not stand, man."

shooterman
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 22, 2007 09:52 |  #5

Photodawg1 wrote in post #4169597 (external link)
I love the car in the BG with the boxes on top!

:lol: LOL... I'm the original owner of that fast and sweet '91 Z28. It's covered with the clear drop cloth because we are currently remodeling and doing a room addition to our house and the contractor is using the other side of the garage to cut the tile, and does that create a lot of dust. The wife piled the boxes on the car so they would be handy when she needed to empty all the kitchen cabinets & cupboards and stuff. No way she's going to pile the full boxes back on it though. ;)
photosytes, I'll post more when I have it totally complete, and yes I intend to use these with some Alien Bees and have the ability to shoot full body shots.

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

shooterman
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 22, 2007 09:56 |  #6

whiskaz wrote in post #4169713 (external link)
Oh, nice support system you built there. Mines leaning on a ceiling fan right now :) I plan to build a 2nd panel and tie the 2 together, but I like your solution!

Yeah, I plan on having a white one clipped to a black panel, but decided to add the support in case one needed to be free standing. I don't trust myself enough to let it lean against a ceiling fan. :lol: Bad things could happen.

Randy

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,940 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 22, 2007 10:24 |  #7

Did you glue some of the joints, so that the whole thing does not twist up into a warped shape rather than holding the fabric taut in a flat plane?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

shooterman
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 22, 2007 10:40 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #4169892 (external link)
Did you glue some of the joints, so that the whole thing does not twist up into a warped shape rather than holding the fabric taut in a flat plane?

Not yet, and I won't do that until I have the material ready to slap on it. I don't want to glue anything that isn't neccessary, and I don't know what is or isn't yet. I was hoping that I could get some of that elastic rope/bungee style cord and put it through all the pieces and tie it together so that when I tear it down everything stays together.
I also think I am going to remove the two 90 degree bends at the support, replace those with tees, and add a length of PVC to give it extra support in the middle.

Randy

whiskaz
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 22, 2007 14:11 |  #9

Wilt wrote in post #4169892 (external link)

First - My DIY projects are nothing to look at. I'm lucky if they get completed at all but when they do, don't judge them based on looks. I sewed elastic straps to all 4 corners of my material and it's putting some force against all 4 corners. No bending though and no glue.

Those fittings are pretty tight already. If I were slamming water through 'em, I'd probably apply glue. I was going to myself, but pulling them back apart is too difficult to bother :P

I'd like to rebuild it though so that it would break down to something smaller for storage or transporting.

Oh and as for sewing - I tried to hem one side of it (I got my wife a nice sewing machine, right, and I'm the first one to use it... she still hasn't). I got one side done and decided it wasn't worth the effort to do that other. Sewed the elastic onto the 4 corners and called it. It still diffuses light nicely.

Jeremy | Gear List | EyeDigress - A Photoblog (external link) | blinkphotography.net (external link)

shooterman
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 22, 2007 14:19 |  #10

whiskaz wrote in post #4171200 (external link)
First - My DIY projects are nothing to look at. I'm lucky if they get completed at all but when they do, don't judge them based on looks. I sewed elastic straps to all 4 corners of my material and it's putting some force against all 4 corners. No bending though and no glue.

Those fittings are pretty tight already. If I were slamming water through 'em, I'd probably apply glue. I was going to myself, but pulling them back apart is too difficult to bother :P

I'd like to rebuild it though so that it would break down to something smaller for storage or transporting.

Oh and as for sewing - I tried to hem one side of it (I got my wife a nice sewing machine, right, and I'm the first one to use it... she still hasn't). I got one side done and decided it wasn't worth the effort to do that other. Sewed the elastic onto the 4 corners and called it. It still diffuses light nicely.

It doesn't frey apart on you by not being seamed? That will be a big time saver if I, err, she doesn't need to sew it. Maybe that's why it's called ripstop, LOL.

Randy

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 22, 2007 15:03 as a reply to  @ shooterman's post |  #11

Looks good Randy. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished and in use. Glad you didn't go to the extreme I did when I built my first one. It was more cool than functional. :D

Are you using 3/4" PVC so you can use the Photoflex C-Clips to join them?

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

shooterman
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 22, 2007 15:14 |  #12

TMR Design wrote in post #4171538 (external link)
Looks good Randy. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished and in use. Glad you didn't go to the extreme I did when I built my first one. It was more cool than functional. :D

Are you using 3/4" PVC so you can use the Photoflex C-Clips to join them?

Hi Robert, yes this is the 3/4" PVC. I've already hacksawed a few 3/4" couplers and turned them into clips. :) All I need to do is glue them back to back. But I'll go check out those Photoflex clips.

A few minutes ago I finally pulled the trigger on an AB800. I'm hoping to get another one as a Christmas gift, so I didn't buy two at this time. ;)

I was watching my Dean Collins DVD and saw him using a huge panel in the studio as a reflector, so I'll make another one and try and use that as my fill light for right now. Either that or one of my other flashes.

I'll be sure to add some shots of it in use when I have everything. In the meantime you can go check out the G&N section thread ("Some new shots of the wife") and see some shots of why I want the B800 and diffusion panels. The off camera flashes just don't have enough juice for full body shots.

Randy

whiskaz
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 22, 2007 15:20 |  #13

shooterman wrote in post #4171244 (external link)
It doesn't frey apart on you by not being seamed? That will be a big time saver if I, err, she doesn't need to sew it. Maybe that's why it's called ripstop, LOL.

It hasn't yet (but it's only been a week). I had to cut off some excess width and it didn't look bad. The sewing job I did probably looks worse :) It's really not pretty at all, but functions well!

Congrats on the AB! You should be able to do a lot with just one light. I went down the road of thinking that I was limited, but you're not, so much. I'm always fighting with trying to learn with what I've got (which is likely to teach me more anyway) and bogging myself down with equipment!

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 22, 2007 15:39 |  #14

shooterman wrote in post #4171587 (external link)
Hi Robert, yes this is the 3/4" PVC. I've already hacksawed a few 3/4" couplers and turned them into clips. :) But I'll go check out those Photoflex clips.

A few minutes ago I finally pulled the trigger on an AB800. I'm hoping to get another one as a Christmas gift, so I didn't buy two at this time. ;)

I was watching my Dean Collins DVD and saw him using a huge panel in the studio as a reflector, so I'll make another one and try and use that as my fill light for right now. Either that or one of my other flashes.

That's cool Randy. If you are making clips that work then you don't need the C-Clips but they are fairly inexpensive and convenient.

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/41853.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Clips_for_Lite​panel.html  (external link)

I assume you're talking about the Collins on Basics DVD, or another from the FineLight series? Aren't they the greatest? I watched them over and over to really understand it all because as you've noticed he moves at light speed.

What you might want to do, since you're going to use large panels as reflectors, is to make an extra black and extra white. This way you can control the type of reflector by placing a black panel behind the white to prevent any transmission out the back, or you can add a second white panel that will allow some transmission and acts as a great reflector. It's a very good way to control the efficiency of the reflector.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

shooterman
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,295 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 22, 2007 15:49 |  #15

TMR Design wrote in post #4171732 (external link)
That's cool Randy. If you are making clips that work then you don't need the C-Clips but they are fairly inexpensive and convenient.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Clips_for_Lite​panel.html  (external link)

I assume you're talking about the Collins on Basics DVD, or another from the FineLight series? Aren't they the greatest? I watched them over and over to really understand it all because as you've noticed he moves at light speed.

What you might want to do, since you're going to use large panels as reflectors, is to make an extra black and extra white. This way you can control the type of reflector by placing a black panel behind the white to prevent any transmission out the back, or you can add a second white panel that will allow some transmission and acts as a great reflector.

"The Best of Dean Collins on Lighting", the 4 DVD set. Very expensive but very worth it. I've only gotten around to watching only the 1st hour of DVD 4, but so much is in that one hour. It blew my mind to see him produce main, fill, background, and hairlight all from one single Metz flash. Even my wife was impressed! :)

If B&H sells the clips I'll add that to my cart too. I'm getting one of those heavy duty Impact light stands that you recommended in another thread for the Bee.

Randy

sponsored links

9,465 views & 0 likes for this thread
Built a frame for diffusion panel
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.