Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Oct 2007 (Tuesday) 21:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Polarizer for the 10-22

bmynbr
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 23, 2007 21:25 |  #1

I am getting the canon 10-22, and am wondering if I need the slim polarizer, because I was told to get it for my 17-85, and I hate that you can't put a normal cap on it. Any info would be appreciated, and if you have pics with a regular one at 10 mm could you post it.
Thanks, Dave

Canon 7d, 50 f1.8, Canon 17-85is usm, 58mm hoya cpl, 67mm b&w slim cpl, Manfrotto 190 tripod with 486rc2 ball head, Canon efs 10-22, 580exII, cybersyncs, Canon 70-200 f4L

http://www.treklens.co​m/members/BMYNBR/photo​s/ (external link)

sponsored links
doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 23, 2007 22:00 |  #2

Neither lens requires a slim filter. I actually thought that my 10-22 needed a slim filter until I spoke with a B+W rep and tried out a regular filter at a photo expo last weekend. the regular filters work with focal lenths 16mm or longer; 10mm is a 16mm equivilent on a 1.6 crop body, so it works. If you bought the polarizer for your 17-85 locally and it was a salesperson that told you that you need a slim filter, you should go back and exchange it for a regular one and educate the salesperson.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

re_guderian
113 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 23, 2007 22:03 |  #3

doidinho wrote in post #4180343 (external link)
Neither lens requires a slim filter. I actually thought that my 10-22 needed a slim filter until I spoke with a B+W rep and tried out a regular filter at a photo expo last weekend. the regular filters work with focal lenths 16mm or longer; 10mm is a 16mm equivilent on a 1.6 crop body, so it works.

This might depend on the "regular" one. I get some vignetting wide open on mine with regular polarizer. Slim works ok

Rob

Space
935 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 23, 2007 22:05 |  #4

I stacked a slim over a normal filter and it was not a problem.

Common Sense...Isn't

30D ll 5D ll 24-70mm f/2.8L ll 70-200mm f/4L ll 200mm II f/2.8L ll EF 1.4 II

bmynbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 24, 2007 02:07 |  #5

cool, thanks. I think I will look into a regular one and see what happens.
Dave

Canon 7d, 50 f1.8, Canon 17-85is usm, 58mm hoya cpl, 67mm b&w slim cpl, Manfrotto 190 tripod with 486rc2 ball head, Canon efs 10-22, 580exII, cybersyncs, Canon 70-200 f4L

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 24, 2007 02:11 |  #6

There are a couple of threads about the use of polarisers on UWA lenses, particularly with regard to changes in sky tone across the image. I don't have lnks to hand, sorry, but a search should find them if you are interested.

Ultimate ­ CC
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 24, 2007 07:26 |  #7

I have a cheapo ebay one and i have yet to have any viginetting...

My Gear And For Sale Items
www.danhonovich.com (external link)
www.danhonovich.blogsp​ot.com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,301 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 24, 2007 08:56 |  #8

Note that 'filter' is not the same as 'polarizer' when it comes to filter thickness and the need (or not) for a slim! A UV filter is thinner inherently than a polarizer because the polarizer needs to have the rotatable element.

On 135 format, a 24mm lens (that AOV is the same as 15mm on APS-C body) would never need a 'thin polarizer', let alone a 'thin filter'!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 24, 2007 09:32 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #9

From what I've seen so far it seems that filters, like everything else, don't have standardized dimensions and there are very slight differences in the height of the filter threads above and below the actual polarizing glass and differences in the rotating ring. For one CPL to show vignetting and another one doesn't show it, all you need is a fractional difference in one or more of those dimensions.

The slim ones overcome this problem and in doing so, many of them do not accept a standard pinch cap. The standard ones vary and some work well with no vignetting while others have mild to moderate vignetting.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 24, 2007 10:18 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #10

If you decide to go with B+W, be sure to get the 'F-Pro' style of polarizer. Its thicker than a slim, but thinner than a 'regular'. No vignetting whatsoever, and you're able to use the lens cap (and its about $40-$50 cheaper than the slim version). Yes...I do have one so I'm speaking from experience. For good deals on genuine B+W filters, check www.hvstar.net (external link) Hope this helps.

PS You need to be careful when using a CPL on a UWA lens...it will produce uneven sky effects across the frame due to the lens' 107-degree angle of view.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

bmynbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 24, 2007 19:23 |  #11

Thanks, I will get the b+w one.

PGH
30 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 24, 2007 20:00 as a reply to  @ bmynbr's post |  #12

What argyle said... I'm pretty sure the B+W F-PRO did not vignette on my 10-22 when I had it.

Blog: http://www.photogearhe​ad.com/ (external link)
Gear: 2x5D, 20D, 35 f/1.4 L, 135 f/2 L, 24-70 f/2.8 L, 24-105 f/4 IS L, 70-200 f/4 IS L

pourmeaguinness
341 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 24, 2007 21:25 |  #13

I have seen a photo online taken at 10mm with a regular cir-pol, and you can see it in the corners.

*edit.. found it*

http://www.bobatkins.c​om …/ef-s_10-22_review_2.html (external link)

Some bodies. Some primes. Some zooms. Same as everyone else.

sponsored links

1,341 views & 0 likes for this thread
Polarizer for the 10-22
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.