Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Oct 2007 (Tuesday) 19:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OH OH! She's not happy!

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Oct 30, 2007 19:30 |  #1

We had a friend stay over last evening. I had to work and my wife was home. They got to talking about me and my love of photography and he asked what kind of camera do I have.
My wife really is clueless when it comes to anything camera or me related so she suggested they look in my camera bag and see. OOPS!!!!

Well, my hobby is photography and it's not like I spend my money on other things, never mind expensive things, so I do want some nice camera equipment. I don't have to feed my camera or clean up after it. It seldom needs a check up. I don't have to bathe it.

I get home and she hits me with "WHY DO YOU HAVE THREE CAMERAS??" Whewwwwwwwwww! She only found three!

I answered honestly ... "my older camera (10D) broke, remember? I told you! Well, I got a great deal on a refurbed one. Then I decided to get it fixed and remember I told you I needed a 'niche' so I had it converted to IR. Remember the photos you said "WOW" to? Then I got a good deal on another Canon ... a better model that will pay for itself when I get famous!. ;) You want me doing well in the Art Festivals, don't you?"

OK, she calmed down. I didn't have to bring up her bank account (she works but pays no bills) or the cost of her entering 3 or 4 dogs in a three day dog show just to fail or at best get a pretty ribbon or that she NEEDED that big, gas guzzler van to do nothing but haul the dogs around ... I can save that stuff for another time. (hmmmmmmm, think maybe I should window shop photo catalogs?)

And then today, the mail lady drops off the mail and hanging from the mail box is my 5D battery Grip ... OOPS! "It REALLY was on sale! Free shipping too!" Whewwwwwwww!

That was close! Am I alone?

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

sponsored links
AbsolutShyam
47 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 30, 2007 19:34 |  #2

Hahaha

Thats why I plan on investing in all my camera equipment before I get married.

Canon 10D
Sigma 15-30, Sigma 18-50
Canon 35-135 USM, Canon 70-200 f/4 Lhttp://www.usefilm.com​/photographer/10851.ht​ml (external link)
"The world looks a lot better through a viewfinder." (external link)

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 30, 2007 19:34 |  #3

johneo wrote in post #4221608 (external link)
Am I alone??

You would be in my house... :p

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 30, 2007 19:37 |  #4

LOL.. i shouldn't laugh.... my wife is also a photographer so i cant even lie....

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 30, 2007 19:37 |  #5

Not at all...my wife doesn't even look at my bags any longer. I don't think she wants to know what I have spent.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 30, 2007 19:42 |  #6

(she works but pays no bills)

This is obviously a fairly complicated relationship-finance situation that we really don't need all the details about.

All I can say is that if I was in your situation I would not feel compelled to explain any purchase as long as the bills were paid.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

ckphoto
127 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 30, 2007 19:45 |  #7

Nope, we both enjoy this hobby. He researches the best quality for the price we are willing to spend, I write the check. Works well. Even better when he surprises me with things like the 5D last year for Christmas.

Canon 5D
100mm EF Macro
28-135mm EF with IS
16-35 EF
580EX speedlight

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 30, 2007 20:00 |  #8

Naw, I just get all excited about the gear I want and talk her to death til she breaks and says, get it allready jeez....In the mean time I get her the designer purses she wants, believe it or not, there's purse forums too:)
Funny thing happened today, we're talking about birthday presents and I'm telling her that the 2 lenses I got this month were paid for by the sale of a body and she looks at me and says....get another lens then!....The really crazy part of the story is when I realize....right now....I don't want another lens! (this has never happened before)
So all things being equal it works out, although I'm sure she's not at 12K in purses yet

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

Borderfox
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 30, 2007 20:07 as a reply to  @ thatkatmat's post |  #9

My GF always asked till it started paying for the bills

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 30, 2007 20:16 |  #10

I ordered some small screws for my lens that had fallen out. They showed up in a big box with Canon all over it. I told my wife it was a 16-35 to gauge here reaction. :)

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 30, 2007 20:17 |  #11

thatkatmat wrote in post #4221816 (external link)
she looks at me and says....get another lens then!....The really crazy part of the story is when I realize....right now....I don't want another lens! (this has never happened before)

I see studio lights and backdrops in your future.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

heidibot
54 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 30, 2007 20:24 |  #12

I'm into photography and dog shows, haha. I'm planning to buy a DSLR soon and in a year or two, getting my fourth dog - for $2200... good thing hubby loves me.

If Duke Nukem has taught me anything, it's that eating an entire turkey by yourself is good for you.

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,360 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 30, 2007 20:42 |  #13

Whewwwwwwwwww! She only found three!

I'll be sending you the bill for my LCD screen, I sprayed a mouth full of ice water all over it when I got to the above... :lol:

On second thought, why don't you just send one of those extra bodies my way - I've only got this lonely 20D thats been wanting a friend. ;)

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 30, 2007 20:52 |  #14

I don't understand how you married guys can spend money and the other not know about it. I have had a joint checking account for 11 years! I buy a Coke and she knows! :-)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 30, 2007 20:56 |  #15

We had a friend stay over last evening. I had to work and my wife was home. They got to talking about me and my love of photography and he asked what kind of camera do I have.
My wife really is clueless when it comes to anything camera or me related so she suggested they look in my camera bag and see. OOPS!!!!

Well, my hobby is photography and it's not like I spend my money on other things, never mind expensive things, so I do want some nice camera equipment. I don't have to feed my camera or clean up after it. It seldom needs a check up. I don't have to bathe it.

I get home and she hits me with "WHY DO YOU HAVE THREE CAMERAS??" Whewwwwwwwwww! She only found three!

I answered honestly ... "my older camera (10D) broke, remember? I told you! Well, I got a great deal on a refurbed one. Then I decided to get it fixed and remember I told you I needed a 'niche' so I had it converted to IR. Remember the photos you said "WOW" to? Then I got a good deal on another Canon ... a better model that will pay for itself when I get famous!. ;) You want me doing well in the Art Festivals, don't you?"

OK, she calmed down. I didn't have to bring up her bank account (she works but pays no bills) or the cost of her entering 3 or 4 dogs in a three day dog show just to fail or at best get a pretty ribbon or that she NEEDED that big, gas guzzler van to do nothing but haul the dogs around ... I can save that stuff for another time. (hmmmmmmm, think maybe I should window shop photo catalogs?)

And then today, the mail lady drops off the mail and hanging from the mail box is my 5D battery Grip ... OOPS! "It REALLY was on sale! Free shipping too!" Whewwwwwwww!

That was close! Am I alone?

ROFL

I can relate.

My wife, at one time, had no job, 6 Mals (she showed) and the Excursion to haul it all with -- we didn't have money arguments that lasted long then!!

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

16,472 views & 0 likes for this thread
OH OH! She's not happy!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.