Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Nov 2007 (Friday) 21:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom - 2 PC's - Editing same files???

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 02, 2007 21:58 |  #1

I'm hoping someone can give me a quick answer. I'm starting to migrate over to lightroom.....yuk.

The point is I need to be able to edit a wedding on two different machines and not lose adjustments. I'm hoping it is as simple as copying the files back and forth (I don't need to edit on both machines at the same time).

The deal is I'm headed away from my main pc for a couple of days and would like to work on the images while away on my laptop. I'd then like to copy those over to my pc when I return.

Any thoughts so I don't lose any settings during the swapping back and forth?

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
6,484 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Location: Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.

Nov 02, 2007 23:41 |  #2

I do this all the time.

For me, the easiest way to to export changes to XMP. If you do that, all you need to do is transfer the XMP files from one machine to the next (I use SynchToy to do it).

Have same RAW starting point on both machines --> Edit on Laptop --> export XMP on laptop --> Synch XMP from Laptop to desktop --> Open LR on desktop --> Have LR reread XMP data on desktop to see the edits made on the laptop (critical step -- just moving the XMP without telling LR to reread those files will result in LR looking like you didn't do any edits)

Reverse as necessary. . .

I don't move the catalog back and forth because its much larger, and I can accomplish all I need to through XMP files alone. If you are starting from DNGs or JPGs instead of CR2s, you'll end up having to transfer a lot more data.

Does that help?

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well) (external link)

deletedpenguin
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 03, 2007 00:27 |  #3

Is there a way to remotely access photos, and essentially make and save changes on a server somewhere, and be able to access this collection from multiple computers?

Stefan | StefanPetersen.com.au (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 03, 2007 07:12 |  #4

ibdb wrote in post #4242720 (external link)
I do this all the time.

For me, the easiest way to to export changes to XMP. If you do that, all you need to do is transfer the XMP files from one machine to the next (I use SynchToy to do it).

Have same RAW starting point on both machines --> Edit on Laptop --> export XMP on laptop --> Synch XMP from Laptop to desktop --> Open LR on desktop --> Have LR reread XMP data on desktop to see the edits made on the laptop (critical step -- just moving the XMP without telling LR to reread those files will result in LR looking like you didn't do any edits)

Reverse as necessary. . .

I don't move the catalog back and forth because its much larger, and I can accomplish all I need to through XMP files alone. If you are starting from DNGs or JPGs instead of CR2s, you'll end up having to transfer a lot more data.

Does that help?

So what you are saying is I only need to move the xmp file and not the raw (CR2) file? Or do I put both CR2 files on both machines but only copy the xmp files back and forth as I make changes?

Dumb question (I've not looked yet), how do I tell LR to re-read the XMP file?

McKinney, TX

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 03, 2007 07:19 as a reply to  @ taygull's post |  #5

I think I found it...

Librayr>Metadata>Read Metadata from file...

I think that is it?

Well...I guess not...I don't see my changes now when I look at the files?

McKinney, TX

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
6,484 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 03, 2007 16:29 |  #6

taygull wrote in post #4243677 (external link)
So what you are saying is I only need to move the xmp file and not the raw (CR2) file? Or do I put both CR2 files on both machines but only copy the xmp files back and forth as I make changes?

Start with the CR2 files on both machines. Copy the newest XMP files (wherever you edited and saved changes to the XMP files last) to the machine that doesn't have them.

Dumb question (I've not looked yet), how do I tell LR to re-read the XMP file?

taygull wrote in post #4243706 (external link)
I think I found it...

Librayr>Metadata>Read Metadata from file...

I think that is it?

That's it.

Make sure that when you do an edit, you save the changes to XMP. You can either have LR setup to do it automatically, or manually. I do it manually. You can do it by selecting the image or images you're working on and pressing CTRL+S.

After saving the changes to metadata, for troubleshooting, I'd manually copy the file from desktop to laptop (or whatever is appropriate), then verify that the new XMP file is on the second machine. Open LR on the second machine and repeat the "Read Metadata from Files" step.

It should work -- It does for me.

One thing I did find was that changing labels (color labels) and exporting those changes to metadata and then reimporting was a little trickier. You have to make sure that both machines are set to use the exact same color label set for their color labels, and the exact same descriptions within the color label set. If anything there is out of synch, you won't see your changes reflected properly.

-David
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well) (external link)

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
6,484 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 03, 2007 16:35 as a reply to  @ ibdb's post |  #7

deletedpenguin wrote in post #4242882 (external link)
Is there a way to remotely access photos, and essentially make and save changes on a server somewhere, and be able to access this collection from multiple computers?

As long as you're saving information to metadata and using RAW files, the steps I've outline above would work. Unless you had a fast network, it might be a little slow, however.

I'm not sure how well keywording would work in that situation, though. I haven't really tried to synch up my keyword lists from machine to machine like I should. I have a set hierarchy on one machine, but not the other. I know I need to fix it, but I just haven't gotten around to trying yet. :oops:

If you were working with JPGs, PSDs, or TIFFs, I don't think it would work as well. I don't know how LR would treat differences in those files -- whether it would see them automatically, or require you to reimport the file into the library. ???

In short, it might work out okay, but there are probably some things that would be problematic. You'd just have to try it and see. I don't think LR was designed with that sort of operation in mind, so I'd tend to believe more problems would arise in time, but that's just speculation.

-David

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
6,484 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 03, 2007 16:37 as a reply to  @ ibdb's post |  #8

Looking back at my first answer -- for anyone who's not already doing this, I should have been more clear in saying that you need to start with the standard import into LR on both machines. After importing the files into the catalog, you should then be able to work with just moving the XMP files back and forth, saving changes to metadata and reimporting metadata as appropriate.

-David

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 03, 2007 21:31 |  #9

I would ad even on a clean import make sure your settings don't import any metadata. Then once the files are imported do the "read metadata", at least that is what it took for me to get it to see the xmp files.

McKinney, TX

deletedpenguin
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 03, 2007 23:18 |  #10

ibdb wrote in post #4246013 (external link)
As long as you're saving information to metadata and using RAW files, the steps I've outline above would work. Unless you had a fast network, it might be a little slow, however.

I'm not sure how well keywording would work in that situation, though. I haven't really tried to synch up my keyword lists from machine to machine like I should. I have a set hierarchy on one machine, but not the other. I know I need to fix it, but I just haven't gotten around to trying yet. :oops:

If you were working with JPGs, PSDs, or TIFFs, I don't think it would work as well. I don't know how LR would treat differences in those files -- whether it would see them automatically, or require you to reimport the file into the library. ???

In short, it might work out okay, but there are probably some things that would be problematic. You'd just have to try it and see. I don't think LR was designed with that sort of operation in mind, so I'd tend to believe more problems would arise in time, but that's just speculation.

Thanks!

Stefan | StefanPetersen.com.au (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,470 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom - 2 PC's - Editing same files???
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.