Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Nov 2007 (Monday) 17:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do lens prices generally drop over time?

StinkyGoalieGuy
37 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 05, 2007 17:51 |  #1

How quickly, if ever do prices on lenses drop? And I don’t mean depreciation on a lens you bought new that you would like to resell. What I mean is I’ve got my eye on the 70-200L f2.8 lens, but I really don’t have much use for it now, although I’m sure I could find something to do with it. But when my son is old enough to play team sports in say 4 or 5 years, I think this would be a good lens to use. In general, do you think this lens will be cheaper if I wait a few years?

Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
Grentz
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 05, 2007 17:52 |  #2

Most of the time lenses seem to drop a little bit from full MSRP after being out for a bit (6-8 months or less) but then they seem to stick at that price.

Expecially L glass...it holds its value well and store prices do not seem to drop very much if at all on it after it has been out for awhile.

Only thing that really makes glass price drop is when the manufacture switches to a new mount.

Search.TechIslands.com (external link) - Photography Shopping Search Engine

www.TechIslands.com (external link) - News and Reviews

My Gear List - 60D

SOT
I make up stuff about Cameras
915 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 05, 2007 17:53 |  #3

Sometimes the biggest "drop" is a rebate.

http://img81.imageshac​k.us/img81/8646/captur​e1o.jpg (external link)

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 05, 2007 18:01 |  #4

L's pretty much stay the same as do the 'good' selling lenses. The only time I've seen good lenses drop a little is when the MKII or higher of the same lens comes out - then again, I've seen prices go UP on the older versions too (eg 50mm 1.8).

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,151 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 05, 2007 18:32 |  #5

If a lens design is brand new, it carries the higher price tag if it is something with pent up market demand. If it has been on the market for a year or so, it might settle downward very slightly. After that it almost never goes down, and often can go even higher as inflation rears its ugly head.

I once bought an Olympus OM lens new, and a few years later to DOUBLED in price as a USED lens!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

packpe89
731 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 05, 2007 19:57 |  #6

If you want a budget 70-200/2.8, look at either the Sigma or an older 80-200L/2.8. I have the 80-200 and it is a vary sharp lens. You can find both of these in the $600 range.

Canon 7D, 40D, 300f2.8L, 70-200f2.8L IS, Sigma 30f1.4, 60EF-S 2.8 Macro, 15-85EF-S , Sigma 10-20, A couple of flashes, strobes and stuff.

mrfourcows
Goldmember
2,108 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 05, 2007 20:51 |  #7

sigma has raised the prices of some of their lenses over time - especially the popular ones. can't remember the models off hand though.

gear | flickr (external link)

mebailey
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 05, 2007 21:11 |  #8

It seems good lenses (L) will start out at MSRP and will drop over the first year or so to a level 80-90% or the MSRP. There they will generally stay there until rebates come out. Sometimes (but not always) they will drop again when an improvement is released.
Now bodies on the other hand drop quite abit...

My Gear

Crossfire
464 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 06, 2007 02:56 |  #9

It pays to shop around, as prices can differ between retailers (and I'm talking reputable dealers) at any time. I think that it would be very rare for anyone to pay retail list price any more.

pointView | photography
www.pointviewphoto.co.​nz (external link)

foxbat
Goldmember
2,432 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 06, 2007 03:22 |  #10

Jaetie wrote in post #4260422 (external link)
sigma has raised the prices of some of their lenses over time - especially the popular ones. can't remember the models off hand though.

I can. They raised the price of the 300-800 and the 500 prime for sure. The price rise co-incided with the decline in the value of the dollar so it wasn't that surprising to see a relatively small company who's costs are in yen to do that.

Andy Brown; South-east England. Canon, Sigma, Leica, Zeiss all on Canon DSLRs. My hacking blog (external link).

mrfourcows
Goldmember
2,108 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 06, 2007 08:57 |  #11

foxbat wrote in post #4262143 (external link)
I can. They raised the price of the 300-800 and the 500 prime for sure. The price rise co-incided with the decline in the value of the dollar so it wasn't that surprising to see a relatively small company who's costs are in yen to do that.

thanks for filling in the blanks.

gear | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,153 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do lens prices generally drop over time?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.