Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Nov 2007 (Thursday) 13:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

chirstmas studio setup

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 15, 2007 13:36 |  #1

I've made up my mine on the studio setup that I want to do for kids...

White seamless background.
a Christmas tree.
fake snow.
misc props (teddy bear, ornaments, etc)

Now, my equipments are very limited.

My limited equipments are 580ex... 2 umbrella's... a diffuser panel and reflector...

This is my plan... I read it somewhere (forgot where) about one light setup and getting pure white background...

I will put the 580 with umbrella on one side (opposite of the tree) of the subject... put a diffuser panel between the subject and the light, and spill the rest of the light to the background to achieve white background... On the other side I will put a reflector...

Will this work?
1. Does the 580 have enough power? if yes continue to 2
2. Do I really need the umbrella? I will lose some light using the umbrella, right? but since my light is only the 580, don't I need it to be a bigger light source to cover both the panel and the background?
3. which reflector should I use? white or silver
4. will I get a good result with all the props and christmas tree??? :lol:

Thanks

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

Rudeofus
502 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 19, 2007 12:01 |  #2

psxindo wrote in post #4321571 (external link)
I will put the 580 with umbrella on one side (opposite of the tree) of the subject... put a diffuser panel between the subject and the light, and spill the rest of the light to the background to achieve white background... On the other side I will put a reflector...

Will this work?
1. Does the 580 have enough power? if yes continue to 2

Should, unless you go with apertures below F/8 and low ISO settings. It's not a studio strobe, but definitely not weak. Make sure you work with at least ISO400 and you should be fine.

2. Do I really need the umbrella? I will lose some light using the umbrella, right?

Not too much, quotes I found online say between 1 and 2 stops.

but since my light is only the 580, don't I need it to be a bigger light source to cover both the panel and the background?

If you really need a big light source, try to bounce against a wall or ceiling.

4. will I get a good result with all the props and christmas tree??? :lol:

Hopefully better than most people with on camera flash :)

Discovery is not accidental. We discover only when we make ourselves ready to receive and photographers seek discovery by mastering their craft. But it begins somewhere else. It begins with daisies, kids, awful scenes, falling in love, or growing old. It begins with that which matters to you. And it ends with visual statements that express what matters to you about these things. It is not sight the camera satisfies so thoroughly, but the mind. - Christian Molidor

Blackey ­ Cole
480 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 19, 2007 13:01 |  #3

I would pick up a three Vivitar 285s from ebay cheap. have a total of three light stands with tiltable hotshoe adapters that will also accomodate umbrellas, three Wein peanut slave triggers and a a way to trigger your 550 off camera. Then watch the online videos in the sticky area. That and some common things around the house will help you insure that your photos are worth paying for. One flash can do it if you know what you are doing but four flashes will give you a main and two bg lights plus one for effects. A grey bg is idea because as you will see in the online videos that you can make it any color by changing the way you light it.

Now if you are just taking home photos for a xcas card then one flash off camera may work.

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,019 views & 0 likes for this thread
chirstmas studio setup
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.