Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Nov 2007 (Saturday) 12:56
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which one"
24-105L
50%
24-105L
50%

1069 voters, 1069 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70L vs. 24-105L (the 24-105L will win this one)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 20, 2008 14:41 |  #346

Permagrin wrote in post #4742756 (external link)
hey, I thought there'd be some more startling discoveries about L by now

LOL Once I pass CDS is post count, I'm going to campaign for queen of POTN :lol::lol:

You aren't queen of POTN already?

Could've fooled me...

Anyone who disagrees, raise their hand...

[crickets chirping]

Thought so.

Your wish is my command, my queen. :)

(er, okay, so Maureen Souza might have something to say about this. Just pretend she isn't reading this! :-D )

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

sponsored links
Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 20, 2008 14:55 as a reply to  @ kcbrown's post |  #347

:lol::lol:lol...Mo won't care...she's probably content with Goddess Supreme ;)

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

Vortex99
"just got back from therapy... "
2,772 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 22, 2008 14:01 |  #348

Permagrin wrote in post #4742756 (external link)
hey, I thought there'd be some more startling discoveries about L by now

LOL Once I pass CDS is post count, I'm going to campaign for queen of POTN :lol::lol:

You got my vote!! :)

-Peter

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 24, 2008 13:23 as a reply to  @ Vortex99's post |  #349

Hey look...Red's catching up again!

and Calicocat, where are you?...I need you to support my very worthwhile cause to "FREE PERMIE" (see sig)

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

ooo
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 24, 2008 17:13 |  #350

What is going on!?!??! How did the red lens catch up!

krepta
I swear I'm Ken Rockwell!
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 24, 2008 19:19 as a reply to  @ ooo's post |  #351

Looks like Olie's campaign for L is finally yielding results!

Alex | flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | Food! (external link)

OL9245
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 24, 2008 19:30 |  #352

krepta wrote in post #4776197 (external link)
Looks like Olie's campaign for L is finally yielding results!

I have plans in mind for a new test lens :D :D :D It will deal with G&N shooting. Well, I am missing time these days. For sure if the L take the lead I'll do it :D

Gear list. Photoshop tips and tricks I've learned here at POTN.
English is not my native language. Once and then, I can make funny sentences :shock:
learn more about my avatar

OL9245
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 25, 2008 09:37 |  #353

Okay. here we go.
This was the test: very simple.

Lenses: I got the chance to test a pre-series sample of a 70-200 2.8 IS L provided by Canon Bangkok for comparison with my own 70-200 2.8 IS L.
Testing conditions: The test was done during a G&N session of my Thai friend Somchai Thothong, a local famous photographer shooting for the local issue of Playboy. We worked very hard. 4 hours non stop. Astonishing girls, and very professional. A lot of fun, as well.
Results: Of course, I cannot post the images here in this forum. I will be considering the G&N forum for that. But I think images of the lens right after the session are demonstrative enough:

its a matter of fact that the L holds the distance much better.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Conclusions: you pros: no doubt you want the L
you newbies, amateurs and dummies: why not considering the L as well :confused: (you deserve it)

English is not my native language. Once and then, I can make funny sentences :shock:

djeuch
933 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 25, 2008 09:39 |  #354

OL9245 wrote in post #4779957 (external link)
Okay. here we go.

Lenses: I got the change to test a pre-series sample of a 70-200 2.8 IS L provided by Canon Bangkok for comparison with my own 70-200 2.8 IS L.
Testing conditions: The test was done during a G&N session of my Thai friend Somchai Thothong, a local famous photographer shooting for the local issue of Playboy. We worked very hard. 4 hours non stop. Astonishing girls, and very professional. A lot of fun, as well.
Results: Of course, I cannot post the images here in this forum. I will be considering the G&N forum for that. But I think images of the lens right after the session are demonstrative enough: its a matter of fact that the L holds the distance much better.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by OL9245 in
./showthread.php?p=477​9957&i=i264987094
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

you newbies, amateurs and dummies: why not considering the L as well :confused: (you deserve it)

Looks like the new 70-200mm f/2.8L IS TS-E model! :)

Canon 40D w/BG-E2N Battery Grip | Canon 5D w/BG-E4 Battery Grip | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 w/ET-65III | EF 50mm f/1.4 w/ES-71II | Canon 1.4x TC | Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW | B+W 77mm MRC (010) filter x2 | Speedlite 580EX II

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 25, 2008 10:07 |  #355

Okay. here we go.

Lenses: I got the chance to test a pre-series sample of a 70-200 2.8 IS L provided by Canon Bangkok for comparison with my own 70-200 2.8 IS L.
Results: Of course, I cannot post the images here in this forum. I will be considering the G&N forum for that. But I think images of the lens right after the session are demonstrative enough:

I have avoided visiting Bangkok because, quite frankly, I assume that I would spend my time being wild and crazy rather than doing productive things like taking pictures of useful and edifying things.

I could give a frame of reference from a recent trip to Las Vegas for a Photoshop Users convention -- I have the impression that I spent more time enjoying the pleasures of Vegas than I did absorbing the wonders of Adobe products, but "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas", so I won't elaborate.

However, you have provided some real evidence that there might be a compelling reason to visit Bangkok: a Playboy shoot! I have to rethink my thinking!

And, I have an L lens, rather than an L lens, so I don't think I would suffer from the lens dysfunction that you illustrate above!

Anyway, constructive suggestions are welcome, but especially contributions to my Bangkok fund are welcome, or maybe setting up a Playboy shoot out here in the Pacific Northwest!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

OL9245
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 25, 2008 10:13 |  #356

tonylong wrote in post #4780131 (external link)
I have avoided visiting Bangkok because, quite frankly, I assume that I would spend my time being wild and crazy rather than doing productive things like taking pictures of useful and edifying things.

I could give a frame of reference from a recent trip to Las Vegas for a Photoshop Users convention -- I have the impression that I spent more time enjoying the pleasures of Vegas than I did absorbing the wonders of Adobe products, but "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas", so I won't elaborate.

However, you have provided some real evidence that there might be a compelling reason to visit Bangkok: a Playboy shoot! I have to rethink my thinking!

And, I have an L lens, rather than an L lens, so I don't think I would suffer from the lens dysfunction that you ullustrate above!

Anyway, constructive suggestions are welcome, but expecially contributions to my Bangkok fund are welcome, or maybe setting up a Playboy shoot out here in the Pacific Northwest!

you are right: never come to Bangkok with a L :D :D :D

Vortex99
"just got back from therapy... "
2,772 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 25, 2008 15:01 |  #357

This thread makes me ROFLMAO!

-Peter

Matthew ­ Hicks ­ Photography
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 25, 2008 15:40 |  #358

Okay. here we go.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by OL9245 in
./showthread.php?p=477​9957&i=i264987094
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

With results like that, why is the L winning?

Calgary Wedding Photography by Matthew Hicks: www.matthicksphoto.com (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 25, 2008 16:57 |  #359

Trainboy wrote in post #4782318 (external link)

Because it apparently gives your shots an artistic flair that the L simply doesn't? :D

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 25, 2008 17:09 |  #360

Trainboy wrote in post #4782318 (external link)

Well, you see, that's the problem with Pixel Peeping. You get too wrapped up in what the individual pixels look like and miss that the photo as a whole is a wretched mess!

GO BIG L

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

79,694 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70L vs. 24-105L (the 24-105L will win this one)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.