Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Nov 2007 (Sunday) 13:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Bag Selection Thread

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 18, 2007 13:40 |  #1

Looking for a bag for a 40D with a 24-70mm f/2.8L attached, and a 50mm f/1.4. Since I'm looking for something very small and discreet, my results from researching the forum's search function have been the Domke F-5XB and the Crumpler 4MDH. I doubt I'm going to be expanding my kit any further in the new future so anything that form-fits that body with the two lenses would be perfect. Any ideas?

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

sponsored links
rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
9,007 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Nov 18, 2007 14:32 |  #2

You might fit that into the 5MDH, but certainly not the 4MDH.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 18, 2007 16:33 |  #3

5MDH will NOT fit 40D_24-70L

If you put this combo facing down, it will be too tall for the bag. I have 30D+15-55IS, it is about 1/3" tall then the front edge of the bag. Both 40D and 24-70L is large than 30D and 17-55IS, so it will be even taller. The flap can still be close because of the valcro, but NOT a good fit.

Also the hood for 24-70L is very wide, after the reverse hood goes in, another lens will not likely to go in. A flash maybe OK due to its narrow dimension.

eel

alt4852 wrote in post #4339392 (external link)
Looking for a bag for a 40D with a 24-70mm f/2.8L attached, and a 50mm f/1.4. Since I'm looking for something very small and discreet, my results from researching the forum's search function have been the Domke F-5XB and the Crumpler 4MDH. I doubt I'm going to be expanding my kit any further in the new future so anything that form-fits that body with the two lenses would be perfect. Any ideas?

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 19, 2007 08:36 |  #4

5MDH FTW! Allows for small expansion too if you want. It's surprising the size change in those.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 20, 2007 13:18 |  #5

What about the Lowepro Slingshot 100 or 200?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

alt4852
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 05, 2007 01:14 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #6

Update:

I looked over the Lowepro and Tamrac ones, but I think I've decided that I want a canvas bag (it looks a lot like my current messenger bag and I want as low-profile a bag as possible since I'll be roaming the city with it). After researching it, I figured the Domke F-5xb would be too small for my needs, but I was wondering for those who have it.. is the Domke F-3x overkill for my needs? Since I'm only going to be carrying one xxD series camera, a 24-70mm f/2.8, and a 50mm f/1.4 lens, I'm curious to know if F-3x owners think that it will be too big for the limited gear I'm going to be carting around. Thanks in advance for the advice.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 05, 2007 07:48 |  #7

Not planning on getting a flash?

The F3x will be big. Overkill? Depends on whether you have other paraphernalia that you might want to put in (water bottle, reading material, cell phone, emergency rain gear) as well.

I did pull out my 5D (ungripped) w/24-70 L and my 35 f/2 - they fit in my F-5xb OK. Not rattling around, but OK. That was with hods for both lenses, of course. So I think you could use the F-5xb with your kit. The outside pocket would take the spare batteries and cards. I use mine when I'm taking just the 24-70 and a 580EX for the 5D, or to keep the video camera in.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 05, 2007 07:55 |  #8

alt4852 wrote in post #4443195 (external link)
Update:

I looked over the Lowepro and Tamrac ones, but I think I've decided that I want a canvas bag (it looks a lot like my current messenger bag and I want as low-profile a bag as possible since I'll be roaming the city with it). After researching it, I figured the Domke F-5xb would be too small for my needs, but I was wondering for those who have it.. is the Domke F-3x overkill for my needs? Since I'm only going to be carrying one xxD series camera, a 24-70mm f/2.8, and a 50mm f/1.4 lens, I'm curious to know if F-3x owners think that it will be too big for the limited gear I'm going to be carting around. Thanks in advance for the advice.

As Jon said I don't think it will be overkill, but you will surely have lots of empty room. I took with me last night my 40D w/ 17-70 attached, 85 1.8, and 430 EX flash, plus all the usual extra batteries and CF cards and cleaning products. I has one of the inside "lens holders" empty and the front pocket was empty as well. But the bag conforms so well that it doesn't seem like a waste to carry it with a light load. Plus you will have the ability to add gear if you want. I think you will like the F-3x. I know I do.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

Siriusmuzik
318 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 05, 2007 11:25 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I really dig the style of the NG bags.

http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1196875​452&sr=8-5 (external link)

if you want something bigger, upgrade to the medium NG 2475 (That's the one I just purchased)

Canon 7D| Canon 24-105mm F4L | Canon 50mm F1.8 II | Canon 85mm F1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm | Tamron 28-75mm | Canon 580EX II

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 05, 2007 11:37 |  #10

Here is something out on left field. A ThinkTank Holster. Lens attached to the camera and the 50mm at the bottom of the holster. Of course, you'd have to get the larger Holster but it will fit. Then again, it's not discreet. LoL. Looks like a camera!

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

sponsored links

1,918 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another Bag Selection Thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.