Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Nov 2007 (Wednesday) 08:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Strobist question: combining 580EX/430EX with lower-cost unit

Stephan.
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2007 08:21 |  #1

Hi,

is it possible/would it make sense to use a Canon flash like the 580 EX II or the 430 EX in conjunction with a lower-cost unit like a Vivitar?

I'd really like to have a Canon flash for possible on-camera use and combine it with a second flash for those Strobist-style setups. However I'm a bit put off by the pricetag of buying two Canon units.

Any recommendations?

The flashes are supposed to be linked using a wired connection (for starters) to a 40D. If you have an idea how to do that, please bring that hint forward too ;-)a

Thanks!

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 21, 2007 08:26 |  #2

Manually, no big deal! This is a Sunpak 383 Super & 580EX:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …difoto/2007-11-15-033.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 21, 2007 08:28 |  #3

The cheapest way to go about that is to use an optical slave on the off-camera flash. The EX Speedlite on-camera will trigger it. Speedlite must be used in manual flash mode. It works good indoors but not outdoors.

Option 2: A PC cord plugged into your camera's PC socket for the off-camera flash. May require a hotshoe adapter for the flash, depending on what you end up with. Your camera's PC socket and hotshoe can be used simultaneously. You can still use E-TTL with the hotshoe flash this way.

More details in this thread:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=308108

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2007 08:38 |  #4

Thanks guys. I'm really happy to hear that it's possible.

I think I like Curtis' 2nd idea best since I was planning on using it a lot outdoors.

Maybe that's silly, but I would also be able to use some kind of hotshoe extension cable for the Canon flash so I can basically have two flashes which can be used off-camera and moved independently (well, as much as the cable allows), right?!

Cdifoto, that picture of yours looks great. Very comforting to see that is can be done!!

Curtis N, do you have a new avatar? I remember from browsing through the forum that you used to have a photo of yourself (?) and a flash, is that right?

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 21, 2007 08:41 |  #5

Stephan. wrote in post #4358237 (external link)
Curtis N, do you have a new avatar? I remember from browsing through the forum that you used to have a photo of yourself (?) and a flash, is that right?

Yes. I'll probably change it back after a while. It sort of goes along with the quote in my sig to complete the joke. ;)

Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2007 08:44 |  #6

Oh well, now that you mention it I see the connection. I oversaw your new signature before.

Are there any issues with the "sync voltage" (?) regarding the less expensive flash on the PC port? (I didn't quite get this whole concept of sync voltage). However, I'd like to be sure that the flashes doesn't damage the camera.

I really liked your old avatar. And hey, I also got some good-looking girls (hopefully you like them) in my avatar, now that you bring up that topic :-)

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2007 08:45 |  #7

cdifoto wrote in post #4358264 (external link)
You better change it. I'm starting to develop a crush on you. :rolleyes: :lol:

That's funny!!

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 21, 2007 08:46 |  #8

Stephan. wrote in post #4358272 (external link)
Are there any issues with the "sync voltage" (?) regarding the less expensive flash on the PC port?

Some of the really old Vivitars are debatable or even a no-go, but the new Sunpak 383s and Vivitar 285s (only $80-90 brand new at B&H) are perfectly safe. There are many perfectly fine older ones but if I was buying a few of those I'd keep them away from my hot shoe and just use 'em on a light stand...or at least invest in a voltage meter and test 'em first.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2007 08:47 |  #9

And Curtis, that's a great thread you got there! Thanks a lot!

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2007 08:49 |  #10

Great, thanks cdifoto!
Alright, I'll get one of those and combine it with either the 580 or 430. Tough decision, eh, but that's another story I guess :-)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 21, 2007 08:51 |  #11

I went with the Sunpak 383. Brand new for 80 bucks, similar power as the 580EX, and the head swivels AND bounces. The Vivitar only bounces but it zooms while the Sunpak has a fixed 35mm AOC head. No big deal really because usually I'm either bouncing it or shooting it into an umbrella.

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2007 09:02 |  #12

Thanks cdifoto!

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 21, 2007 09:16 |  #13

cdifoto wrote in post #4358264 (external link)
I'm starting to develop a crush on you.

I'll change the Avatar back someday, and I'll use this quote in my sig! :lol:

To the OP: Here's a link with more info about trigger voltage. You should be ok up to 250v on the PC socket.
http://www.botzilla.co​m/photo/strobeVolts.ht​ml (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 21, 2007 09:29 |  #14

Curtis N wrote in post #4358428 (external link)
I'll change the Avatar back someday, and I'll use this quote in my sig! :lol:

I never said that. You and Stephan need to quit making things up! :rolleyes: :D

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2007 13:22 |  #15

That quote would be hilarious :-)

sponsored links

2,407 views & 0 likes for this thread
Strobist question: combining 580EX/430EX with lower-cost unit
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.