Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Nov 2007 (Wednesday) 09:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best way to shoot a large manufacturers show?

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 21, 2007 09:54 |  #1

I'll be at Winter NAMM 2008 this January at the Anaheim Convention Center. It is a humongous musical manufacturers show that last 4 days. The ceilings on the main floor are about 30 to 40 feet or higher so no way to bounce off it.
I don't have an ETTL flash at the moment, but hopefully I can rent one from Samys Camera, and maybe a flash bracket too.
What would be the best way to shoot photos of guitars, music celebrities, cute show girls, and other cool stuff? Should I get "Fong'ed", LOL, or should I go ghetto and use an index card and rubber band to bounce?
Would I be better renting a 580EX or 430EX and shooting ETTL with a bracket, or could I get decent shots with the puny built in flash? I also have a Sunpak 433AF that I could use on camera ala manual mode. It's safe to use with my 30D.
The past 4 or 5 years I've used a crappy P&S and gotten decent shots at the show, but I want to get great shots now that I have my 30D. Any suggestions on the best flash method is appreciated.

thanks, Randy

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

sponsored links
stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 21, 2007 09:57 |  #2

Wow........this is a tough question. I would suggest a 50ex II on the camera and another for off camera light. It depends on what you are looking for.........I would take my trusty 17-55 ---and backup camera with a 70-200.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

Dockland
195 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 21, 2007 10:02 |  #3

shooterman wrote in post #4358615 (external link)
I'll be at Winter NAMM 2008 this January at the Anaheim Convention Center. It is a humongous musical manufacturers show that last 4 days. The ceilings on the main floor are about 30 to 40 feet or higher so no way to bounce off it.
I don't have an ETTL flash at the moment, but hopefully I can rent one from Samys Camera, and maybe a flash bracket too.
What would be the best way to shoot photos of guitars, music celebrities, cute show girls, and other cool stuff? Should I get "Fong'ed", LOL, or should I go ghetto and use an index card and rubber band to bounce?
Would I be better renting a 580EX or 430EX and shooting ETTL with a bracket, or could I get decent shots with the puny built in flash? I also have a Sunpak 430AF that I could use on camera ala manual mode. It's safe to use with my 30D.
The past 4 or 5 years I've used a crappy P&S and gotten decent shots at the show, but I want to get great shots now that I have my 30D. Any suggestions on the best flash method is appreciated.

thanks, Randy

For me this sounds like it depends on how close you are to the event. would go for a ISO @ at least 800 and a fast lens eg 1.8-2.8.

If you are going to be far away from the subject, dont use flash. But a fast tele-lens.
If you are going to be relatively close, I would go for flash with omnibounce and in 45 degrees and a lens between 17-55 or so.

Thats what I should have done.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 24, 2007 18:55 |  #4

NAMM has terrible lighting, you will have to have a flash... shooting fast won't cut it in there most of the time as I recall

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

GrendelZ
565 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 10, 2008 19:32 as a reply to  @ post 4891798 |  #5

That shot looks good to me. I went to NAMM several years back when it was in Nashville. I even went to Bob Zildjians birthday party :).

5DIII & a rotating door of other things

PhotoMayo.net (external link)
instagram (external link)

joeyserver
145 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 11, 2008 09:25 |  #6

shooterman wrote in post #4891798 (external link)
Here is a report from after attending NAMM. I bought a cheap flash bracket, mounted my Sunpak flash on it and fired it with my ebay triggers(I forgot to buy a coiled cord from camera to flash). The lighting at that show is terrible, as there are rotating colored lights everywhere. Here is a shot I took of one of the models.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Nice shot. To further the OP's question, how'd you do it?

shooterman
THREAD ­ STARTER
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 11, 2008 10:45 |  #7

joeyserver wrote in post #4895558 (external link)
Nice shot. To further the OP's question, how'd you do it?

I am the OP :smile: . I mounted my Sunpak 433AF flash on a cheap ebay flash bracket so I could keep the flash above the camera while putting the camera in portrait orientation. I pointed the flash straight up and used an index card with rubber band to bounce light forward. The ceilings were very high, as high as 50 ft ? maybe in some spots, but I don't exactly remember how high they were at this particular spot. I forgot and ran out of time to buy a cord from camera to flash so I velcroed the cheapy gadget infinity receiver to the flash bracket and fired it with trigger. The trigger and receiver were just a few inches from one another and I thought there might be electrical interference between them but never had a misfire. The ones I use have the 1/4" connector on the receiver. I'm not at home right now so I can't look at the RAW for the specifics of aperture, SS, and ISO, but my 30D was set to manual, and I had the flash set on manual at either 1/4 or 1/2 power most times. If memory is correct I was about 10 to 15 ft from the model when I shot her.

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

joeyserver
145 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 12, 2008 04:53 |  #8

Thanks for the reply Randy! Opens my eyes to more flash possibilities.

sponsored links

1,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best way to shoot a large manufacturers show?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.