Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 24 Nov 2007 (Saturday) 22:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suggestion for 1st timers

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 24, 2007 22:36 |  #1

Before you shoot a game, go to a few practices for that sport/team. This will get you familiar with the lighting and what to expect. You will aslo get an idea of where you should position yourself and which lens to use along with exposure. Then when you shoot a game that parents are expecting to see good shots of, you will be ready.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
nicmo
413 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 24, 2007 23:12 |  #2

I tended to agree, knowing something about the sport you are shooting will give you an advantage.

--Aaron
Aaron Callanta Photography (external link)
SportsShooter Page (external link) | MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 25, 2007 02:02 |  #3

Mike R wrote in post #4379208 (external link)
Before you shoot a game, go to a few practices for that sport/team. This will get you familiar with the lighting and what to expect. You will aslo get an idea of where you should position yourself and which lens to use along with exposure. Then when you shoot a game that parents are expecting to see good shots of, you will be ready.

Well, I can't say I disagree! Knowing a sport before shooting it is HUGE. It amazes me when seeing photogs who know nothing about the sport and they have media passes (maybe this is a pro level thing more so than shooting little league or high school and the sorts). I think I'm becoming a bit "bitter" in that I notice a lot of photogs who know nothing about sports tying to become sports photographers...and I don't have nothing against one who is trying to learn, it's just that with any profession you have to take time to prepare but yet so many don't seem to do so! I'll help newbies in the areas I'm experienced in any time I can - but they have to make an effort.

As for arriving early and preparing....I'll give you an example I experience over the summer ALL the time...I shoot action and individual shots over the spring/summer for pro baseball, sometimes the players know I'm coming - other times they don't. Either way, the day I'm shooting their portraits I'm at the stadium at 3pm or earlier (usually noon/1pm) - mind you that players show up at 3pm or LATER usually. I look like a doofus but I'm out on the field checking the light, checking the angles, what background I want, where did the sun rise and where is it going to set, etc, etc. I have my bag (roller case) with me and I'm shooting pictures of it to test settings. When the players arrive and line up for portraits, there's no BS and testing - even though I tell the first player he's my test subject, I use that as a just in case situation...but since I've been there for three hours preparing, I know what to do.

The point is, prepare ahead of time - study the living hell out of a subject before you do it!! Don't go in with the attitude that "good enough" is good enough - it's not! You want to go in and make parents or your outlet (mag/company/newspaper​/etc.) go HOLY CRAP!!! I still remember the first time I made a card company go "THAT PHOTO IS AMAZING!!" It made me giggle like a school girl. haha (and yet they used the more basic of my portraits for the card - don't ask, cuz I can't explain it - still was nice to make them believe in my preparation that much and that it was a job well done).

So, in short - study your sport before you shoot it!!

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

KIPAX
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 25, 2007 05:57 |  #4

Isn't that just common sense .. not just photography. The more you know , Better the results.

In my tenth year as a Full time Sports Photographer.
living the dream at www.kipax.com (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 25, 2007 05:59 |  #5

Mike R wrote in post #4379208 (external link)

What if they practice outdoors in a field but play indoors in a stadium? :)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Mike ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 25, 2007 08:43 |  #6

cdifoto wrote in post #4380556 (external link)

As MJPhotos24 said, arrive early, before the team. Most teams warm up before a game

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 25, 2007 08:59 |  #7

Mike R wrote in post #4380957 (external link)
As MJPhotos24 said, arrive early, before the team. Most teams warm up before a game

Yes, but that's not the same as futzing around at a practice. ;)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 25, 2007 10:44 |  #8

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #4380130 (external link)
I look like a doofus

Ain't that the truth! Janes you need to get a life...

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,849 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 25, 2007 11:05 |  #9

Sledhed wrote in post #4381511 (external link)
Ain't that the truth! Janes you need to get a life...

lol! Mike, I won't even comment.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,328 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 25, 2007 11:28 as a reply to  @ namasste's post |  #10

I have also found it advantageous to meet with site management when you arrive early. Introducing yourself will make an impression on them. I've only shot a few places and have introduced myself to site management everytime. Not only did they remember me the next time, I got a free pizza out of the deal. I'm not saying go around and kiss butt, but a firm handshake goes a long way. Oh, I second pretty much everything that Mike (MJPhots24) says about sports.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,849 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 25, 2007 16:37 |  #11

asysin2leads wrote in post #4381697 (external link)
Oh, I second pretty much everything that Mike (MJPhots24) says about sports.

we could start a Mike Janes fan club!! Serioulsy, he does know what he's talking about as do many here. It truly is a great place for help.

On another note, GO BUCS!!!!!! LSU goes down and a big win by Mizzou and we are that much closer. Still, unless we step it up from the last few games, it may not end as well as we'd like.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 25, 2007 17:52 |  #12

This has turned into a Mike Janes love fest. I know Mike, he's a good guy.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 25, 2007 18:28 |  #13

KIPAX wrote in post #4380555 (external link)
Isn't that just common sense .. not just photography. The more you know , Better the results.

You'd think so...but we're living in a day of instant satisifaction - people don't want to take the time to do anything right, just get it done. I noticed this working in music to, bands didn't care about promoting and releasing a CD when it's right, they just wanted it out! It's definately not just photography related.

cdifoto wrote in post #4380556 (external link)

Most teams DO have an initial warmup session...you can test some things there. And you can always go to the practice outdoors to learn the sport and then shoot the game indoors and arrive early to learn what settings you need for that light ;)

asysin2leads wrote in post #4381697 (external link)
I have also found it advantageous to meet with site management when you arrive early. Introducing yourself will make an impression on them. I've only shot a few places and have introduced myself to site management everytime. Not only did they remember me the next time, I got a free pizza out of the deal. I'm not saying go around and kiss butt, but a firm handshake goes a long way. Oh, I second pretty much everything that Mike (MJPhots24) says about sports.

I prefer to walk in and announce my presence with authority, I'm Mike Janes B***H!! After getting up off the sidewalk when security throws me out, it's a good idea to go introduce yourself more politely. New places usually go talk to the media guy quick and get going on what ya need to do (AD's, coaches, etc. for high school and other leagues). Just act professional and everything goes smooth...it's very easy to tell who's studied up and who hasn't usually.

namasste wrote in post #4383163 (external link)
we could start a Mike Janes fan club!! Serioulsy, he does know what he's talking about as do many here. It truly is a great place for help.

On another note, GO BUCS!!!!!! LSU goes down and a big win by Mizzou and we are that much closer. Still, unless we step it up from the last few games, it may not end as well as we'd like.

Only fan club where I have to pay members to join. My buddy out here (a local sports writer) has a fan club, it's kind of weird and funny all at once.

College ball? I haven't followed college since playing it...more pros and only sparingly for me. Speaking of, maybe Da Bears should just snap the ball to Hester the rest of the game :P

Sledhed wrote in post #4383598 (external link)
This has turned into a Mike Janes love fest. I know Mike, he's a good guy.

Personally, I think he's kinda a jerk! :lol: Oh yea, and I have a life - it's just in hibernation until spring training starts again. It'll awake in February, do some stretches, and head on a plane down to FL (or Arizona).

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 25, 2007 18:48 |  #14

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #4383790 (external link)
It'll awake in February, do some stretches, and head on a plane down to FL (or Arizona).

I made up my mind Mike, I'm heading to AZ, I have to go to the Cubbies ST again. Now I have to set the dates so I can let BA know.

Chris

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 25, 2007 18:58 |  #15

Sledhed wrote in post #4383927 (external link)
I made up my mind Mike, I'm heading to AZ, I have to go to the Cubbies ST again. Now I have to set the dates so I can let BA know.

I haven't had my mind made up for me yet...I guess it's time to make a phone call and see where I'm going. If it's the same as this year (which I'm hoping for) I'll be heading to FL, if they're not sending me down there off to AZ. Either way around Mid-March because that's when the MiLB games start and I need to get those guys...just have to find a substitute coach for a week and a half when I'm gone!

sponsored links

2,004 views & 0 likes for this thread
Suggestion for 1st timers
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.