Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Nov 2007 (Sunday) 00:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

17-55mm f/2.8 IS Question

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 25, 2007 00:41 |  #1

Does Canon accept warranty work for dust in this lens since it seems to be common or will they charge to clean it up? It would seem they should, but knowing Canon they probably would say it was normal wear and tear. If not, what would they charge?

sponsored links
KarlMarsh
Living in a Marshist regime
426 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 25, 2007 00:44 |  #2

It wont show up in your images so I would not even worry about it. Do you have a lens with dust? I have had mine for about 3000 shots now and none is visible in any of my images. My 28-135 has a bunch in it but the pictures come up clean.:D

Karl
Gear List
Gallery (external link) Smugmug
Gallery (external link) Flickr

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 25, 2007 00:49 as a reply to  @ KarlMarsh's post |  #3

Not yet, I'm buying it next Friday and was worried about it. Most ppl say it doesn't show up, but I'm one of those ppl that if they see it it will bother me knowing it's there. :rolleyes: I guess I'll just have to take heart that it won't be an issue I guess. But it would at least help me deal with it (if it even happens) if Canon would take care of it.

cy88
818 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 25, 2007 00:53 |  #4

The dusts get in through the front element. If you are very worried, stick a UV filter on and that should fix the problem :) I did that to mine and never seen a spec of dust!

Enjoy the lens, it's one of the best that Canon made.

6D | 5D2 | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | Panasonic GX7 | Olympus 12/2.0 | Panasonic 20/1.7
Flickr (external link)

KarlMarsh
Living in a Marshist regime
426 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 25, 2007 00:54 as a reply to  @ MaxxuM's post |  #5

I guess I'm not as anal as some around here about dust but I can say with confidence that I am very picky about the IQ. My 17-55 has produced incredible IQ far beyond my expectations. I'd buy another one tomorrow if this one was lost or stolen.:D In fact even if I get a Full Frame camera I will always keep a 1.6x camera just to mount this lens to.:lol:

That being said that if there was visible dust in the lens during the warranty period. I'm pretty sure canon would clean it for free.

Karl
Gear List
Gallery (external link) Smugmug
Gallery (external link) Flickr

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,236 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 25, 2007 00:57 |  #6

I wouldn't worry too much either. I just went and checked my 17-55 and though there was a bit of dust on the front element, there was none inside. I have had it for almost 9 months and it is my prime use lens and has seen a lot. It's been to Hawaii, California, and taken several hundred pics around the house we are rehabing, a very dusty environment.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

VladDracule
648 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 25, 2007 00:57 |  #7

heh theres a serious lack of an answer in this thread sadly enough i dont have it for you :(

this is something ive been wondering about as well. especially because imo you cant resell a lens with dust in it for the same price as one with 0 dust in the front element, at least you shouldnt be able to

Canon 40D, 70-200 f/4L, 28-135 IS, 50 f/1.8

Adam ­ Trevillian
139 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 25, 2007 00:58 |  #8

MaxxuM wrote in post #4379938 (external link)
Not yet, I'm buying it next Friday and was worried about it. Most ppl say it doesn't show up, but I'm one of those ppl that if they see it it will bother me knowing it's there. :rolleyes: I guess I'll just have to take heart that it won't be an issue I guess. But it would at least help me deal with it (if it even happens) if Canon would take care of it.

i know exactly how you feel...

>> adamtrevillianphotogra​phy (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,236 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 25, 2007 01:01 |  #9

VladDracule wrote in post #4379970 (external link)
heh theres a serious lack of an answer in this thread sadly enough i dont have it for you :(

this is something ive been wondering about as well. especially because imo you cant resell a lens with dust in it for the same price as one with 0 dust in the front element, at least you shouldnt be able to

I think the only way to find out for sure is to contact Canon. Maybe someone who is having a dust problem will speak up. I think it';s pretty safe to say those who have answered already have the lens and do not have a dust problem, thus they have never called Canon to find out if they would fix a problem they dont yet have.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 25, 2007 01:16 |  #10

Thanks guys for the input... It makes me feel a little better. If no one answers this question by Monday I'll be calling Canon to find out myself and will post the answer here.

sponsored links

1,203 views & 0 likes for this thread
17-55mm f/2.8 IS Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.