Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Nov 2007 (Monday) 15:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Album subcontract -- pricing for pics work

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 26, 2007 15:41 |  #1

Mods- if you need to move this please do but there does not seem to be as much traffic and help in the business section as the old wedding forum.

I posted this over in the business of photography section a little more than a day ago and have not had any responses. I was hoping the wedding forum photogs would look over there. I guess not, unfortunately. I am posting this here with the hope of getting some responses. The original post is here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=411990.

A local photography has approached me about doing some of the editing and composition for their all digital wedding albums. This would mean taking the pictures right from the camera and editing them and arranging them into pages for the wedding book. The books are about 25 pages. I would be using my own photoshop, computer and dvds. Does anyone have any ideas how the pay might go. Would it be paid by book or by hour?
For those of you that sub out this work, how much do you pay?
For those that do this work, how much do you charge?
Thanks in advance---

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

sponsored links
Reeforbust
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 26, 2007 16:15 |  #2

I don't do anything like this.... BUT, knowing how minutes can turn into hours on the editing side, I would say hourly. BUT, then it might get expensive and they would think you are ripping them off.!?!?

I would get a good idea of Exactly what they want as far as arranging and processing and maybe work up a flat fee, but I would make sure I got paid for my time AND equipment!!

I guess this didn't help at all so sorry....:lol:

Gear-list!
DSLR gallery Click (external link)~here!
Canon G5 gallery Click (external link)~here!

p3photogal
172 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 26, 2007 16:40 |  #3

I would say by photo. If you are having to edit each photo and then put it into the page, you should be charging per photo, unless you can come up with a standard fee per book.

p3photogal
172 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 26, 2007 16:41 |  #4

also, make sure that it is very clear what you are doing for that price...cloning, fixing, skin repair...all of those things, you need to have a very clear contract.

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 26, 2007 16:54 |  #5

Thanks for the replies so far. Any ideas of a figure per picture / book or hour? This has been my hobby and a local photographer saw and asked if I wanted to work with them. So I am completely in the dark about the financial side of things.
Thanks again for the suggestions and and future help---

ktgiggle
237 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 26, 2007 17:12 as a reply to  @ wizard13's post |  #6

I'd say charge per photo (if any editing done), and per page layout fee. I saw some add for $15 - $20 / page layout design fee , but your rate might depend on how many pages (minimum charge / album, discount for large volume, etc.), and how many pictures/page.

Kim Truong

Scott_Quier
888 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 26, 2007 18:00 |  #7

I know that at least one album company charges by the book. But, then again, they expect the photos to be delivered to them ready to go. It's the editing of the photos that is likely to seriously eat into your profit margin on this.

Scott
Operation: Love Reunited (external link)
Check out my blog (external link) Gear List

randplaty
324 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 26, 2007 19:00 |  #8

Most photographers who design their own albums charge by the hour. So if they're designing their own albums they would estimate how long it would take to create a 20 page book and charge that on top of the materials and markup for the book.

Design companies seem to charge by the page or page layout. This is possibly due to the fact that they can layout a book very quickly. I haven't looked into this too much, but I think designs range from $200-$500 per 20-30 page album.

San Diego Wedding Photography - Orange Turtle Photography | Feel In Color (external link)
Orange Turtle Photography Blog (external link)

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 26, 2007 19:41 |  #9

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Would anyone mind sharing some of the company names that do weddig photobook design so I can look at their sites for pricing info?
Thanks again!

ktgiggle
237 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 26, 2007 20:24 |  #10

wizard13 wrote in post #4390492 (external link)
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Would anyone mind sharing some of the company names that do weddig photobook design so I can look at their sites for pricing info?
Thanks again!

Check out http://storybookpages.​com/Design_Service.htm (external link)

Kim Truong

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 26, 2007 20:42 |  #11

Thank you. This at least gives me an idea where the pricing should fall. Anymore online wedding album design/creation sites?

nvrl8
450 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 26, 2007 22:05 as a reply to  @ wizard13's post |  #12

www.asukabook.com (external link) only the best!

Scott_Quier
888 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 27, 2007 06:14 |  #13

GraphiStudio - but I don't think they have their pricing on-line. But, I could be mistaken.

Scott
Operation: Love Reunited (external link)
Check out my blog (external link) Gear List

Storybook ­ Pages
60 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 27, 2007 07:50 |  #14

Regarding album design...some suggestions:
- your charge should include a per-image charge as well as a per-page component
- be sure to spell out the charges and guidelines for changes...X changes for free, $x for each change beyond that.
- extra charge applies if YOU have to select the photos for the album ($z/hour)
- photos should be numbered in event sequence

Best of luck...
john

John Givens
custom album design

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 27, 2007 08:09 |  #15

Thanks again for all the suggestions and pointers. I am starting to fell a little better about going into this agreement now that I know more about the business side of it.
Thanks!

sponsored links

1,789 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding Album subcontract -- pricing for pics work
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.