Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Nov 2007 (Thursday) 11:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-Official- 1D MK III AF Thread.

this thread is locked
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,598 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 01, 2007 11:11 |  #1

-Official- 1D MK III AF Thread. Hardware Fix Is IN!!! Version 1.1.2 ;)

This thread is intended as a place to document the progress being made by Canon and MK III owners in the resolution of the autofocus issues.

***The March 2009 Hardware fix and firmware update thread can be found here***

Version 1.1.1 of this thread can be found here:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=400735

The version 1.1 of this thread can be found here:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=394508

Version 1.0 can be found here;
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=336920

At this point most of you may know that the problem was very real, Canon has acknowledged a mechanical flaw an has announced how to begin a process to repair all malfunctioning units for the fix.

As of November 27th 2007 Canon USA announced The additional details on there Web site for the return process

LINK---> Canon USA 1D Mark III Mirror Adjustment Repair Procedure <---- LINK (external link)

Latest info:

• SERIAL NUMBER RANGE RELEASED
    CW Photo posted this link to Canon Australia's site (external link) which indicates the Serial numbers effected.

The page states;

Canon Australia wrote:
    How to identify affected products:

If the serial number on the bottom of the camera is between 501001 and 546561, it could be affected by the “AF mirror adjustment issue”

• Canon Europe's recall Page (external link)

• Canon USA's recall Page (external link)

• Description of the Autofocus Malfunction Cause:
    This Page at the Rob Galbraith forum (external link) describes in detail the source of the AF problem.
    "a component in the camera called the sub-mirror must be adjusted. The sub-mirror - also called the secondary mirror - is a tiny mirror behind the main mirror that passes light down to the autofocus module in the base of the mirror box. "

• New firmware 1.1.3 released.
    Download it here (external link).

• Canon USA EOS-1D Mark III AF Mirror Adjustment Repair Handling Procedure.
    http://www.usa.canon.c​om …999&keycode=211​2&id=40411 (external link)

REMINDER:

Post here with updates/progress or news related to the MKIII AF Fix.
Post only in the official thread. New threads will be merged.

DO NOT POST HERE about your personal issues with Canon.
Or your theories concerning the existence of a problem.
We have enough posts on that subject now.

Apparently it's still vogue to assume the worst about both photographers and Canon despite the fact that this recent news could very well settle both of the following arguments.

The focus issue is real. Canon's actions clearly establish this as fact.
Debating this reality is only a source of controversy, and needless at this point in time.

Many have created a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" mentality on this,
Currently many feel impatient to have been informed that a fix is in the works prior to the upcoming recall process being ready to be applied.
At the same time (and maybe the same people) many are angry that Canon did not tell us sooner, whether they were ready or able to make a repair or not.
If they tell us early we have to belly ache while waiting, if they wait to tell us when the fix is in, then it's months of belly aching about "no news"
This is a no win situation, and not worth continued discussion.
Keep to the topic of the progress and news related to the AF issue.

The bullets are;

1. There was and is a problem with the MkIII. This is not longer a debate, it is fact.
2. Most of the released units to date may be effected.
3. Canon will be implementing a process to repair the MkIII

I am confident that the time taken to get to the route of this matter was well spent, and we will see a very real very functional fix.
Please do not speculate to the contrary of any of the above, and most importantly, don't do so in a way that assumes the worst of our fellow members. It's insulting and flame baiting.

the time for flaming over this subject has passed
It's cooked.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
49,598 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 26, 2007 14:42 |  #2

O-kay, here's how it will pan out.

If a post needs to be deleted for being OT, the poster will get a week off from the forum

Do not reply to my post, your reply will be OT, deleted and you will get a week off.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Nov 28, 2007 05:57 |  #3

The old thread has been locked.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to read THIS post before posting anything in this thread.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 28, 2007 06:09 |  #4

This is excellent news. I'm especially thankful they could narrow it down to a serial # range. Not sure how I missed this thread three weeks ago though.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Jaguar
109 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Nov 28, 2007 06:33 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #5

Canon UK have started the recall process, you need to call 08705 143723213 Option 1 then Option 3, they are quoting 2 weeks to start the repair.

muscleflex
Goldmember
3,010 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 28, 2007 06:42 |  #6

that number is too long!

:cool:Canon 1D MK III:cool: | Canon EOS 20D | Canon 16-35 II [COLOR=red]L [COLOR=black]| Canon 100-400 [COLOR=red]L IS | [COLOR=#000000]Canon 50mm II 1.8 | Canon 580 EX II

Jaguar
109 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Nov 28, 2007 06:47 as a reply to  @ muscleflex's post |  #7

Ooooops should be 08705 1437232 then 1 then 3!

muscleflex
Goldmember
3,010 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 28, 2007 07:18 |  #8

should be option 2 to register your camera for repair first. option 1 is for checking status of your repair.

thanks for this tho. i'm on the phone now and will find out what the process is.

edit:
well - just got off the phone. the guy just took my details down and the serial number 531xxx and he said he'll pass it on to the secondary department and they'll contact me with regards to how to have the camera fixed.

:cool:Canon 1D MK III:cool: | Canon EOS 20D | Canon 16-35 II [COLOR=red]L [COLOR=black]| Canon 100-400 [COLOR=red]L IS | [COLOR=#000000]Canon 50mm II 1.8 | Canon 580 EX II

phrog
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 28, 2007 07:28 |  #9

I just got off the phone with Canon US.

1. They will connect you to a dedicated person(s).
2. I was told that if you have already called, there is no need to call again.
3. They did take the time to verify all of my information.
4. At this time, there is no priority order set - most likely based on date of call.
5. They did verify that they did have my CPS number in my record.

Representative was very attentive, polite and knowledgeable.

Bill

phrog
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 28, 2007 07:41 |  #10

A few further thoughts-

Several folks have reported other issues such as ERR 99, problems with one-shot, among others.
A couple of people over at DPRant have indicated that the firmware fixes some of these.
It might be possible that these are a direct result of the "AI Servo" problems (as the rep phrased it.).
That may be why they will also install 1.1.3 at the same time as the sub-mirror adjustment.

Therefore it might be a good idea to install the new firmware as an interim measure until your camera is sent back.

Bill

Nits1
78 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 28, 2007 07:48 as a reply to  @ phrog's post |  #11

I also called and got the same info that Bill did, rep very nice and helpful.

Only thing I can add is I was told they have 2 facilities that will be doing nothing but the M111. Cool!

Nits1
Mk3, 30d, 20d 35f1.4L, 200f2.8L, 300f2.8L, 400f5.6L, TC's and various other stuff

JBF
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 28, 2007 14:54 |  #12

Mark III return instructions posted today at Canon.com

This is posted as of November 28....

Service Notice: EOS-1D Mark III AF Mirror Adjustment Repair Handling Procedure

[IMAGE TOO SMALL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]
EOS-1D Mark III
IMAGE: http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/eos/EOS_1D_MarkIII/1dmark3_68x68.gif
IMAGE: http://www.usa.canon.com/sys/images/cameras/camera_red_hline.gif
To owners of the EOS-1D Mark III:

November 28, 2007

Thank you for using Canon products.

AF Mirror Adjustment Repair Handling Procedure

This Service Notice details Canon U.S.A., Inc.'s repair handling procedure for the EOS-1D Mark III AF Mirror Adjustment issue that was originally announced on November 1, 2007 and updated on November 16, 2007. (See Updated Service Notice: EOS-1D Mark III AF Mirror Adjustment Problem (external link).)
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
1.Canon U.S.A., Inc. will use the following procedure to accept EOS-1D Mark III cameras in need of an AF Mirror Adjustment.

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
a.We have established a dedicated repair center to handle this issue. Repairs will begin on December 3, 2007.

b.Please contact our Canon Customer Support Center (contact information listed below) to register your EOS-1D Mark III for service.

c.The support center will contact you to schedule your appointment to send your EOS-1D Mark III camera to Canon U.S.A., Inc. for service. Due to the anticipated volume, we ask for your continued patience and understanding during this process.

d.All repairs and 2 way shipping will be free of charge. Our support center agent will provide you with a pre-paid shipping label before your appointment.

e.Please do not send your camera to our Irvine or Jamesburg Factory Service Centers unless specifically instructed to do so by our support center.

2.In addition, all EOS-1D Mark III cameras received for service for the AF Mirror Adjustment issue will be updated with the latest firmware version 1.1.3. This firmware corrects, among other things, AF tracking as follows:

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
a.Improves AF tracking when shooting outdoors in bright environments.

b.Improves AF tracking of low-contrast subjects.

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
EOS-1D Mark III Firmware version 1.1.3 is strongly recommended for all EOS-1D Mark III cameras including those manufactured with an updated mirror mechanism as described below. To download this firmware click here (external link).

3.At this point, EOS-1D Mark III cameras manufactured to date can be broadly classified into two groups:

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
a.Cameras manufactured with an original mirror mechanism. Please note that an AF Mirror Adjustment is only required for some unmodified EOS-1D Mark III cameras. If you are satisfied that your EOS-1D Mark III camera is operating correctly, it is not necessary to have it repaired for this issue.

b.Cameras manufactured with an updated mirror mechanism. These cameras can be identified by serial numbers higher than 546561, as well as serial numbers on the attached list (external link). EOS-1D Mark III cameras manufactured with an updated mirror mechanism do not need to be repaired for the AF Mirror Adjustment issue.

4.If you have any questions or concerns regarding this procedure, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center as listed below.

Once again, we appreciate your patience and we offer our sincerest apologies to our customers using these products who have been inconvenienced by this issue.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Contact Information for Inquiries
Canon U.S.A., Inc. Customer Support Center
1-800-828-4040 (toll free)
8AM - Midnight - Monday to Friday
10AM - 8PM - Saturdays

JBF
Canon 7D, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 24-105L f/4, Canon 35L 1.4, Canon 200L f/2.8, Canon 70-200L II IS f/2.8, Canon 300L f/2.8IS, 580ex Flash, 430ex Flash, 1.4X Converter. Bunch of other crap! I want the new 500mmL and the 200L f/2.0

gymell
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 28, 2007 15:06 |  #13

I just got off the phone with Canon and confirmed that I'm already on the list to be contacted. They will contact people starting Dec 3 (as we already know) and in no particular order, at least none that the call center rep could tell me. Since I also have a fatal Err 99 issue, and the Canon notice says that there will be a dedicated service center for the mirror fix, I asked if both issues can be fixed at the same time when I send it in. The rep didn't know and said really the only way I can find out is when I am contacted with the recall shipment info, to include a letter explaining the Err 99 problem and hope they can fix both problems. I won't be happy if I have to send the camera in twice, or wait an extended period of time for both fixes to be done. For me right now the Err 99 is the more important problem, since it renders my camera unusable! I asked if there is any ETA when I will be contacted, and of course the rep didn't know. Then I asked if I it's possible I would have to wait a month or more to be contacted. He said that was unlikely, but he couldn't rule it out.

-Liz
My online gallery (external link) and Live Streaming Feeder Cam (external link)
Help native birds - discourage house sparrows! (external link)
Minnesota Master Naturalist (external link) - "Explore, Teach, Conserve"

AeroSmith
Goldmember
4,493 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 28, 2007 15:11 as a reply to  @ JBF's post |  #14

Thanks for the heads up.

My 1DIII is now on "the list." :rolleyes:

Josh Smith

GentleGiant
69 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 28, 2007 16:21 |  #15

UK freephone number is 00 800 22666 767

sponsored links

471,204 views & 0 likes for this thread
-Official- 1D MK III AF Thread.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.