Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Nov 2007 (Thursday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2-year old 70-200 f2.8 IS, any different?

StinkyGoalieGuy
37 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 29, 2007 10:00 |  #1

Somebody is selling this lens and she indicates that it's 2 years old. Has there been any changes to the lens in the last few years?

I see mention of date codes on this forum. What does it tell me and where do I find it?

sponsored links
asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 29, 2007 10:02 |  #2

You can find the date code on the mount of the lens. It will have 2 letters and 4 numbers. You can see when the lens was manufactured by that date by looking here....http://www.the-digital-picture.com …ses/Canon-Lens-Aging.aspx (external link)

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

LotsToLearn
Goldmember
2,290 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 29, 2007 10:26 |  #3

No changes that Canon announced to that specific lens. It's still at the implicit Mark I.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 29, 2007 10:28 |  #4

Nope, same old same old. They havent changed that lense for many moons.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 29, 2007 10:32 |  #5

Although I don't believe there was much they could have done to improve it? It's still quite a spectacular lens and one of their best; sort of holds it's value like a not too old used Mercedes :D.

ben_r_ wrote in post #4406996 (external link)
Nope, same old same old. They havent changed that lense for many moons.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 29, 2007 10:36 |  #6

sapearl wrote in post #4407006 (external link)
Although I don't believe there was much they could have done to improve it? It's still quite a spectacular lens and one of their best; sort of holds it's value like a not too old used Mercedes :D.

Oh yes I def agree with that. Sorry didnt mean to make it sound like it needs any improvement. I love mine! Probably my favorite lens!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 29, 2007 11:00 |  #7

Not a problem - quite alright :D. I'd just lost track of all the different lens developments and couldn't remember what was still top notch.

ben_r_ wrote in post #4407022 (external link)
Oh yes I def agree with that. Sorry didnt mean to make it sound like it needs any improvement. I love mine! Probably my favorite lens!

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Nov 29, 2007 11:34 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

LotsToLearn wrote in post #4406986 (external link)
No changes that Canon announced to that specific lens. It's still at the implicit Mark I.

What could they possibly improve??!!!:D - It focuses extremely fast, the optics are incredibly sharp & accurate; color rendition is good, the IS is SWEEEEET, dof range is incredible due to the 2.8, build quality is brutally tough ... one of the best lenses canon has produced.

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

jj_photography
997 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 29, 2007 11:40 |  #9

Same old stuff.

My Website (external link)
BLOG (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 29, 2007 11:58 |  #10

I don't use this lens as much as I should:( but right now it is mounted on my 5D, ready for me to take off this afternoon up the Columbia River Gorge and up into some winter weather -- it's been snowing in the Pacific Northwest, and I have to go somewhere that will take me there, have camera, good lens, will travel!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 29, 2007 14:12 |  #11

tonylong wrote in post #4407397 (external link)
I don't use this lens as much as I should:( but right now it is mounted on my 5D...

5D + 70-200 actually is a nice landscape walk-around lens. :D

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

sponsored links

1,371 views & 0 likes for this thread
2-year old 70-200 f2.8 IS, any different?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.