Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Nov 2007 (Friday) 14:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I might be going to go mac

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 30, 2007 14:05 |  #1

either macbook/pro

my question is which type of display is better for editting? regular or glossy

another question, regarding lightroom.
Can I use both my pc and mac? i don't mean the software, but the files/catalog. Can I work on both the pc and mac? transfer the files between the two and still have the edits.

thanks

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 30, 2007 14:30 |  #2

With the MacBook, you have no choice - glossy. But, with the money you'd save over a MBP you could buy a really nice external display (up to 24").

It depends on the application. If you're talking photoshop, then I'm pretty sure it'd work just fine. There used to be bit order issues between Mac and PC TIFFs, but I'd think that PS on either platform could handle either by this date. I have no idea about LightRoom, but I suspect it'd be the same. You'd probably be best asking the maker of the software.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

viperx27
305 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 30, 2007 14:34 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

matte is better for editing, glossy is better for viewing. glossy is also much much more reflective, so if there are windows or other light sources where you will be primarily that you can't control, mette would be better

I use a mbp (matte) as a stand alone, with a 24" Dell (glossy) and 42" panasonic plasma (anti reflective but still glossy). Images look best on the plasma, but most realistic on the Dell.

psxindo
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 30, 2007 14:42 |  #4

I'm just wondering, basically the only difference between macbook and macbookpro is the display and graphic card?

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

viperx27
305 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 30, 2007 14:51 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

psxindo wrote in post #4414706 (external link)
I'm just wondering, basically the only difference between macbook and macbookpro is the display and graphic card?

a bit more than that, like external ports, but both are capable machines.

frankgindc
104 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 30, 2007 15:02 |  #6

And screen size.

But, glare aside, why would matte be better for editing and glossy better for viewing?

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 30, 2007 16:21 |  #7

psxindo wrote in post #4414706 (external link)

There's lots of others on the MBP:
More ram
Lighted keyboard with auto dim
Larger display
Can drive 30" external display
Auto dim display
FW800
Cardbus
Aluminum enclosure (some say this cuts down on wi-fi range)

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links

639 views & 0 likes for this thread
I might be going to go mac
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.