Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Nov 2007 (Friday) 23:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scratched element, what to do?

m-thew
73 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 30, 2007 23:21 |  #1

I have a 17-55 f/2.8 IS that is perfect except for a scratch on the front glass. It is small, so small I thought it was dust when I bought it. It doesn't affect photos in any way that I can tell, and I've looked. It sits just a little less than 1/4" from the outside edge of the glass.
Can it be fixed? Reasonably? I wanted to sell the lens but couldn't when I realized the "dust" wasn't dust at all but this scratch. So, should I get it fixed or take my loss and sell it "As Is"?

I bought it to use for a friend's wedding ($880) and put a UV filter on it as soon as it came out of the box, and off I went to the wedding. 2 days later, 800 photos in the can and only then noticed and tried to clean the single speck of dust I saw under the filter. That was when I found that it was not dust but the evil scratch.

What should I do?

Thanks,
Matt

God 1st, family 2nd, then the rest
1DsIII, 70-200 4L, 50 1.8

sponsored links
Bob_McBob
213 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 30, 2007 23:34 |  #2

New or used?

"My fellow Americans, these are not the droids the nation is looking for."
5D Mark III - 16-35/2.8 II - 24-105/4 IS - 50/1.4 - 100/2.8 IS Macro - 70-200/2.8 IS - 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS

m-thew
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 30, 2007 23:56 |  #3

I bought it used, mint condition, which it is (except for the scratch), but used nonetheless and since I used it for a couple of days before I noticed the defect, I bit my lip and learned a lesson in "buyer beware" since at that point I really didn't have recourse against the original seller. I'f I'd have been savvy and checked it out well, or at least better, when I received it, then I'd have dealt with the seller.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 30, 2007 23:58 |  #4

If it doesn't affect the photos, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. To fix it would most likely cost quite a bit and it seems pointless considering the pics it takes are fine. If you want to sell it, you may have to mark it down but not by much. Instead of selling it, why not keep it? It's certainly a nice piece of glass.

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Dec 01, 2007 00:09 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

^ ^ ^ Like he said. If you don't notice it, don't worry. Keep the lens & get lots of use out of it. If the scratch is small and near the outer edge of the lens, it may have very little effect. Furthermore, a lens casts a full round image on the rear"plate" of a camera. The sensor (both crop & FF) capture a rectangular portion of that round image. If the aberation distorts the image in an area that is not captured by the senso, it really makes very little difference. -- In acutality, a flaw in the outer portion of a lens does have an effect over the entire image, due to the way the light is collected and focused, but the center of the lens is the sweet spot, not the outer edge.

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

trumpet_guy
343 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 01, 2007 01:55 |  #6

If you are not seeing any effect on your images, don't worry about it.
Sure, it will cut some off the resale price, but then again if the lens is great
you probably won't be selling it any time soon. Just shoot with it and enjoy.
People in forums seem to be obsessive about hairline scratches on the front
element, that can't show up on an image.

As an experiment, next time you clean your front element or your UV or Polarizing
filter, look at it in oblique light. It probably still has a bit of an oily film on it from
the cleaning -- not bad but there. And I'll bet it doesn't affect the image either.
So your tiny scratch shouldn't.

Tim S. ---> Canon bodies; Canon zooms and primes; C/Y Zeiss primes and zoom; Leica macro; Rokinon primes

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,567 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 01, 2007 06:44 |  #7

Scratches on the front element really aren't going to affect your images unless there are a lot of them, and then you'll get reduced contrast, etc. It's possible that the scratch may cause a small flare or ghost in maybe .5% of your images, but I highly doubt you'll ever notice it. Put the corner of a post-it note on the front of your lens, take a picture and tell me if you can see it. Now a scratch on the REAR element...that's something different.

Jordan Steele - http://www.jsteelephot​os.com (external link) | https://www.admiringli​ght.com (external link)
---------------
Canon EOS R5 | R6 | TTArtisan 11mm Fisheye | Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 | RF 24-105mm f/4L IS | Tamron 35mm f/1.4 | RF 35mm f/1.8 | RF 50mm f/1.8 | RF 85mm f/2 | RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Sigma 135mm f/1.8

neumanns
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 01, 2007 10:07 |  #8

1/4 inch from outside edge is proabably not even in the imaging area...Try the post it note, or put the tip of your finger on the scratch and take a pic...is it there?

I don't think it would affect the sale to a knowledgable buyer...Pry scare some that don't understand.

But IMO leave the scratch and disclose it in the discription.

7D, Sigma 8-16, 17-55, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580ExII, ........Searching for Talent & Skill; Will settle for Blind Luck!

m-thew
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 02, 2007 00:21 |  #9

neumanns wrote in post #4419190 (external link)
1/4 inch from outside edge is proabably not even in the imaging area...Try the post it note, or put the tip of your finger on the scratch and take a pic...is it there?

Ya'll are great. The post it note doesn't show at all and doesn't seem to reduce light into the lens. I never would have thought of that.
Thank you all!
I'm in love again............ 'till a red ringed lass might turn my head :rolleyes:

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 02, 2007 00:56 |  #10

You can send it into Canon to get the front element replaced so you can sell it for more or accept the loss on resale if you sell it. Find out how much it'll cost by calling Canon and decide from there. Either way, it'll cost you money and won't affect the IQ at all.

Personally, if it was me, I'd stop looking at the front element and just keep taking pictures.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 02, 2007 03:57 |  #11

i have a good sized scratch on my 70-200 and it's never been an issue, some people may worry about resale value but who cares if you don't plan on selling it, it's a tool, not an investment.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 02, 2007 07:26 |  #12

Jman13 wrote in post #4418560 (external link)
Scratches on the front element really aren't going to affect your images unless there are a lot of them, and then you'll get reduced contrast, etc. It's possible that the scratch may cause a small flare or ghost in maybe .5% of your images, but I highly doubt you'll ever notice it. Put the corner of a post-it note on the front of your lens, take a picture and tell me if you can see it. Now a scratch on the REAR element...that's something different.

I actually managed to leave a 2mm very thin scratch on the rear element of one of my lenses. Despite all the cursing and **** from me, the lens seems to be doing fine. The scratch never showed up.

photobitz
PlatinumMeasure​baiter
6,499 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 02, 2007 08:32 |  #13

Try stopping your lens right down and also, take a shot into bright light. Sometimes scratches will create strange flare effects. If you don't see anything nasty in those shots, forget about the scratch. Wouldn't be surprised if the front element cost almost as much as the lens to replace.

Dan

My gear | Me on Flickr (external link)

GlennSter
338 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 02, 2007 09:20 |  #14

dont worry too much.i have a good obvious scratch on my drainpipe and it doesnt affect the photos at all...even when stopped down.

POTN Strap with Accessories :p
==========
gallery: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/glennster/ (external link)

aoleg
115 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 02, 2007 18:12 |  #15

If you're going to use the lens yourself, don't worry as the scratch won't affect the quality. If you're about to sell the lens, it won't make any financial sense for you to send it in for repair; just sell it as is. Make sure to mention the scratch and the fact that it's small and does not affect pictures, and you'll be surprised how many people don't care about such small things when buying second-hand.

5DmkII | Tokina 80-400 D | Tokina 100 2.8D macro | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 4L | 24-70 2.8L

sponsored links

2,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scratched element, what to do?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.